Woman who says Woolworths copied her baby carrier design will not sue - but wants retailer to account

schumi

Honorary Master
The struggle to find a perfect baby carrier that is not only suitable for the baby but comfortable for the mother as well was what inspired Shannon McLaughlin to design one – which took four years to launch.

The mother was shocked to the core when a friend sent a screen shot of the exact design being sold at retail giant Woolworths's online shop in December 2018.

McLaughlin, who is accusing the retailer of stealing her design and concept, described Woolies's conduct as “completely unethical”.

“Woolworths has shamelessly copied my design and pattern. Not only have they copied my ‘Stage 1’ and ‘Stage 2’ names, used my colours (and) designated Google Ad keywords to divert potential customers,” she said.

Woolworths, meanwhile, has said it takes the issue “incredibly seriously” but will only be in a position to issue a response after company representatives have met with the Ubuntu Baby founder. The company said that in the meantime, they are recalling the product from its online shop.

McLaughlin said the carrier, which is manufactured by her company Ubuntu Baba baby carriers in Cape Town, was priced between R1,300 and R1,590. Woolies sold them for R450.

Speaking about measures taken to check if indeed Woolies had copied the design, “one of the ladies on my team suggested searching our online order receipts to see if anyone from Woolworths head office has ever purchased one of our carriers, and, surprise, we find that an Ubuntu Baba Stage 2 carrier was purchased and delivered to Woolworths head office in June 2017,” she said.
More at: https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/consumer-live/2019-01-08-woman-who-says-woolworths-copied-her-baby-carrier-design-will-not-sue-but-wants-retailer-to-account/

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
Um hello SUE their behinds off. This is unacceptable and exactly the situation copyright infringement was designed for.

Aquila ka Hecate

Expert Member
Yeah, Woolies, you've done this before, remember?

I went off Woolies some years ago when the quality of their clothing line became beyond crap and never buy anything from them now.

stroebs

Expert Member
How do you know, shagged her before?
lol. She has no copyright or patent whatsoever... I'm not saying Woolies isn't wrong but in a capitalist world, ethics mean little when you can make a quick buck off the backs of others and then hide behind a corporate identity.

Mila

Honorary Master
ITs like nappies, everything is basically the same thing just tweeked.
Evolve, make yours more .. something I dunno. Takes the poop smell out of the mom and baby.

Its a sack for a baby. With straps.

Mila

Honorary Master
https://ergobaby.com/instructions

Oh wait! I'm so original. I invented the wheel.

Cheap publicity stunt. I have not seen Frankies in years. Are they still a thing? They never won the " it looks like ours" case Frankies won the slogan war.
And the Bird design lady was caught out as well, she took the design from the internet and copied it as well.

Easiest way to get your redundant stock to flow. Accuse Woollies of copying.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
lol. She has no copyright or patent whatsoever... I'm not saying Woolies isn't wrong but in a capitalist world, ethics mean little when you can make a quick buck off the backs of others and then hide behind a corporate identity.
Then Woolies shouldn't go on about how ethical they are lol

ponder

Honorary Master
lose & loose...

Mila

Honorary Master
Then Woolies shouldn't go on about how ethical they are lol
What did they do that is not ethical?
They have body butter, so have many brands.
They have lemonade, so have many brands
They have sneakers..
Shirts!!

The woman copied a baby sack, now she is miffed that the market did the same?

Sorry the only unethical thing is to accuse someone of copying you when you were doing the exact same thing.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
What did they do that is not ethical?
They have body butter, so have many brands.
They have lemonade, so have many brands
They have sneakers..
Shirts!!

The woman copied a baby sack, now she is miffed that the market did the same?

Sorry the only unethical thing is to accuse someone of copying you when you were doing the exact same thing.
Ask stroebs.