Women-only Motorsport series launched to find potential Formula 1 stars

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Might also be a physiological aspect? F1 drivers can lose several kilograms in a 2 hour race. Would a woman be up for that kind of punishment? Not being facetious or anything, just genuinely curious if their body could take such a toll.

Its not just the loss of mass, its the physical demands required to drive F1 cars. The body is placed under extreme loads and I'd wager that a man is better suited to developing the muscles required to withstand the demands of the sport.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-...ivers-lighting-reactions-superstrength-necks/

Not saying women are incapable of doing something as demanding as F1 at a high level, Jutta Kleinschmidt won the Dakar Rally, but it just seems that the male body is better suited to F1 and high-level motor-racing due to the physical requirements.

saor

Honorary Master
Strange though, Motorsports are one of the few sports were men are women can compete against each other fairly but there's still almost no women in the sport
Wonder if there's a rule preventing them from competing in F1?

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Wonder if there's a rule preventing them from competing in F1?

Nope. Susie Wolff was Williams' official test driver in 2014 and 2015 and ran in a few practice sessions during race weekends.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Mann: Women-only series will ‘segregate’ female racers

IndyCar driver Pippa Mann believes a new women-only single-seater championship will “segregate” female racers, describing the move as a “sad day for motorsport.”

“What a sad day for motorsport,” Mann tweeted. “Those with funding to help female racers are choosing to segregate them as opposed to supporting them.

"I am deeply disappointed to see such a historic step backwards take place in my lifetime.

“For the record, I stand with those who feel forced into this as their only opportunity to race,” she added.

“I stand against those who are forcing the above mentioned racers into this position as their only solution to find the funding to race.”

Tatiana Calderon is currently the highest placed female driver on the single-seater ladder, with the Colombian contesting the F1-supporting GP3 Series, in which she has scored regular points in 2018.

“Having raced for more than a decade in karting, Formula 3, GP3 and World Series among others, but having been a very small minority in getting that far in motorsport, I know how difficult it is for female drivers to get opportunities to progress their careers,” she said.

“Hopefully this series help provide those opportunities to some young rising female talent and eventually allow the best to prove that we can compete at the same level as men.”

https://www.crash.net/open-wheel/news/907479/1/mann-womenonly-series-will-segregate-female-racers

Article has a few more female drivers having their say. One agrees with Pippa Mann, a couple agree with Calderon.