Wondered what your supermarket did with old best before perishables?

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
This morning I had the privilege to help out a soup kitchen in Sir Lowry's Pass that feeds over 240 children.

Amazing lady, Pearl, cooks from her small home for the kids in need to encourage them to stay in school.

I had to go collect food Woolies Vergellegen Plein donates. This was the third time our Rotary Club collected for her this week. Charities get a day each week to collect for six months.

Three black bins full of meat, vegetables and some treats.

All my local supermarkets do this.

IMG_20211023_085843.jpg

IMG_20211023_090155.jpg

IMG_20211023_091213.jpg

RedViking

Nord of the South
Our Woolies mostly go to the soup kitchens or orphanage etc.... I think most woolies does that.

PnP is dodgy and still try to sell them at discounted prices. Spar I have bought too many vrot stuff and saw expired stuff on the shelves. So they will probably just wait till it is vrot and then chuck it away. (assuming here)

WAslayer

Executive Member
Wife worked at Woolies KC a few years back.. pensioners had first choice for this, followed by staff and not sure what happened to whatever is left after that..

porchrat

Honorary Master
A lot of supermarkets will sell off the stuff that's close to expiry to staff as well at massive discounts.

Captain Beer

Executive Member
I'm glad to see this. Well Done. I was at Checkers there the other night and there was a trolley full of meat that was being written off, twenty whole chickens amongst other things, easily enough to feed a few hundred people, never mind the fruit and veg that goes in the bin daily.

upup

Executive Member
a supermarket gave food to a soup kitchen, someone got sick, and laid a charge againsnt the supermarket. This happen in Bloem some time ago.

theratman

Honorary Master
When I was at Checkers many years back the soon to expire stuff would go through "rework" and end up in the deli as a cooked product or in the salad bar. The rest would go to a local pig farmer once expired. Those pigs ate damn well, there was a literal bakkie load of baked goods (cakes, bread etc) every few days.