Woolworths Credit Card

cavedog

Honorary Master
These people and ABSA in particular is making me very angry.

For some reason Openweb has been starting to bill my card R109 every month for an account that is soooooo old that I have in writing via email to have cancelled. Tried to sort it out with them but no dice. Called Woolworths fraud which is actually ABSA fraud. Guy immediately stopped the card due to suspected fraud as I have not authorized these transactions and to be covered.

I emailed disputes@absa.co.za with ALL the emails and proof that I did not authorize these transactions, proof that I sent in writing when cancelling the account and Openweb refusal to stop or reverse these transactions.

I get a reply a few days later saying the transactions did not post to the account yet and is just an authorization which is true for the last transaction but not for the 3 before that in the previous months.

Back and forth we are going via email and seems like there is ZERO protection if your card is being fraudulently debited because ABSA card disputes does not want to do anything. I ask them to a reversal but they refuse.

New card is at the store ready for collection just 3 days later but I'm not collecting it. I'm done with this card having it since 2011 or 2012.

Daruk

Honorary Master

For some reason Openweb has been starting to bill my card R109 every month for an account that is soooooo old that I have in writing via email to have cancelled. Tried to sort it out with them but no dice. Called Woolworths fraud which is actually ABSA fraud. Guy immediately stopped the card due to suspected fraud as I have not authorized these transactions and to be covered.

I emailed disputes@absa.co.za with ALL the emails and proof that I did not authorize these transactions, proof that I sent in writing when cancelling the account and Openweb refusal to stop or reverse these transactions.

I get a reply a few days later saying the transactions did not post to the account yet and is just an authorization which is true for the last transaction but not for the 3 before that in the previous months.

Back and forth we are going via email and seems like there is ZERO protection if your card is being fraudulently debited because ABSA card disputes does not want to do anything. I ask them to a reversal but they refuse.

New card is at the store ready for collection just 3 days later but I'm not collecting it. I'm done with this card having it since 2011 or 2012.
Do it! ABSA suck at banking. Always passing the buck when their systems are compromised. This is enough for me:
https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/western-cape/man-swindled-out-of-r31m-after-sim-swap-18638281
https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/national/2019-04-15-couple-take-on-vodacom-and-absa-in-sim-swap-saga/
https://mybroadband.co.za/news/security/227503-r1-6-million-stolen-from-absa-client-after-vodacom-sim-swap-fraud.html
https://www.fin24.com/Tech/Cyber-Security/sim-swap-fraud-absa-vodacom-respond-to-facebook-rant-20170323
https://legalbrief.co.za/diary/legalbrief-forensic/story/more-customers-lose-cash-in-sim-swap-fraud/print/
Thanks for the heads up that Woolies use ABSA.

Sphinx21

I've had an experience with another bank that also showed incredible reluctance to reverse incorrect charges. I don't get it; Visa and Mastercard bill themselves as super safe, because the reversal process is supposed to be reverse first and ask questions later. As a merchant this is made super clear multiple times when you need to get a POS device - so I don't get why SA banks are so slow to act.

As I type this, I actually realise that perhaps this methodology has been historically abused in SA (as can happen in low trust societies), thus subjecting us to slightly different rules in practice; but surely the mater can be simply resolved by penalising the offending party. No cards for people gaming the system.

Marsie27

Do it! ABSA suck at banking. Always passing the buck when their systems are compromised. This is enough for me:...
Thanks for the heads up that Woolies use ABSA.
I see in the 3rd post in this thread I posted this: "Mostly it is hassle-free, but I only found out after I had got it that it is an ABSA card, and that has presented challenges on a couple of occasions. "
The application form should have a disclaimer "Use at your own risk".

cavedog

Honorary Master
Just got a response that a credit write off "As a gesture of good will" has been passed to my card and should reflect in the next months statement.

Are you serious ABSA? It's a fraud case and I offered to make an affidavit to the fact but hey they think it's a gesture of good will.......

ebrahim786

I can safely recommend FNB - take a look at the ebucks thread for more info on the benefits.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Just got a response that a credit write off "As a gesture of good will" has been passed to my card and should reflect in the next months statement.

Are you serious ABSA? It's a fraud case and I offered to make an affidavit to the fact but hey they think it's a gesture of good will.......
LOL! Unreal