Work Experience vs Learned Experience

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Meh... I think unfortunately you just got a bad recruiter.

First, TDD is not such a foreign idea that you could not learn it in a day or two.

Second, after 12 years of development experience, I have yet to work in an environment with good testing discipline. Everyone will ask you about your unit test experience, and then you see your code base, and you see how badly they maintain their tests.

I'm sure some of the larger companies have better unit test coverage, but most that I've worked with like to talk about unit tests but don't like to write them. So, you probably would have been able to do the job just fine.
I know right? It's almost like TDD was the whole deciding factor of whether one gets the job or not. Maybe I should have lied and said that I have been doing TDD all my life, it's not even difficult, I played around with it after that experience.

[)roi(]

Executive Member
Second, after 12 years of development experience, I have yet to work in an environment with good testing discipline. Everyone will ask you about your unit test experience, and then you see your code base, and you see how badly they maintain their tests.
OOP code?

Cicero

Expert Member
I was about to get an interview for a company in Dublin, but the ####ing recruiter :mad::mad::mad:.
We were speaking for a month and everything went great, up until he asked me if I have TDD experience.
Is it such a massive pain to not have TDD experience??? I had every single thing on the job spec beside that.
The guy just said, no... the company that he is recruiting for, Verizon; is big on TDD.
Yeah, recruiters are just like that, the majority simply don't understand any type of development.

Its mainly why I really try to go direct if I can, use sites like Glassdoor. If you use recruiters you must be prepared to miss out on a few, or ghosted even.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
OOP code?

Yes, I've only ever worked in OOP environments.

To clarify - everyone does some unit testing and some do more unit testing than others. But, none of the companies that I have ever worked for have done as much unit testing as you would think based on the interview questions they ask you.

[)roi(]

Executive Member
Yes, I've only ever worked in OOP environments.

To clarify - everyone does some unit testing and some do more unit testing than others. But, none of the companies that I have ever worked for have done as much unit testing as you would think based on the interview questions they ask you.
It's expected; OOP by design is not easy to ensure adequate test coverage, even DI with mocks is a bad substitute. To do TDD or XP properly requires far less OOP.