Work from home. What does the company provide?

Tman543

F*kol other than the PC. No office furniture, no internet if we had a good connection already.

Also saving about 1k on petrol. So can we still complain though?

Last edited:
Reactions: rh1

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
My friends who all WFH now were allowed to take laptops, chairs, printers home.
They don't get re-imbursed for internet, electricity or anything

But they arent complaining coz they are saving a small fortune in petrol, car mileage depreciation, stress in traffic, working with morons, etc

Reactions: rh1

porchrat

Honorary Master
Work laptop, peripherals (keyboard, mouse, headset etc.) and screens is what I get.

Last edited:

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
I got a pizza voucher, kid you not. Some took their monitors.

I save around R5K each month not commuting to work. I avoid driving in as much as possible now. Been twice to the office this year which is already too often for me.

marbro

Expert Member
R400 internet sub
Got to take a screen and keyboard too

I took a chair on my own, signed it out, but it wasnt offered
I work on a company laptop

unobeat

I have been saving about R2.500 per month for petrol, car does less mileage which equates to less maintenance needed as i use to service every 4-5 months.

Company provided the whole desktop pc(2 screens, mouse, keyboard only) and wife managed to get me a decent comfortable chair. I pay my own electricity and internet (which i am upgrading as soon as the fibre infrastructure is complete in our area, which should be in kess than 2 months).

I am not complaining as i don't have to drive to work, spend time traffic and get abused by the aircon.
Last week when to the office for the 1st time since lockdown started to collect my new replacement pc.

WFH has enabled me to be able to buy wife a good awesome daily which functions as a family car as she goes to the office 4x a week.

R13...

Honorary Master
I started a job during lockdown so didn't get an office so no screen to take home but others were allowed to and even chairs if needed. Otherwise, laptop, mobile phone, and ability to claim back for internet charges but don't claim that as I'd pay it with or without WFH.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Question for full time employees that have made the (permanent) switch or are thinking about it ( larger companies preferred)

What tools of the trade, benefits, financial assistance have or will your company provide to assist with the switch?
Chair.
Inverter.
internet subsidized if my main line goes down and I have to use mobile data.
Monitor (I didn't take one as I already had my own).

Pegasus

Executive Member
talking about savings, don't forget about the money not spent buying snacks from the canteen or vending machines at the office.
I bulk-buy snacks at Makro, or have them delevired via other online retail sites. Also uber eats.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Question for full time employees that have made the (permanent) switch or are thinking about it ( larger companies preferred)

What tools of the trade, benefits, financial assistance have or will your company provide to assist with the switch?
We were offered an allowance for an LTE connection if there was no internet connection currently at home. (R500)
Then we could also take monitors and chairs home as needed.

For what we do this is sufficient.

EDIT: we all have laptops but I was able to take a client PC home from the office and all its related hardware. There was some debate about UPS's but I don't think many people needed them.

shooter69

Expert Member
Laptop and screens. After a year of working from home we got to choose 1 item from a range of stuff to make home work life easier. I got a desk.
I had internet anyway so only pay more for electricity. I save a lot more on fuel and don't sit in traffic so for me it is a win win. Would work from home forever if it is an option

Priapus

Executive Member
I don't get the internet thing. If you're on an uncapped plan; it literally costs you nothing extra when WFH. Chair and screens, maybe. But you don't pay travel costs anymore, so it should be in your favour, financially to work from home.

Budza

Executive Member
What'd be nice is if they provided assistance/guidance in claiming back tax on all the WFH expenses.

On that note, is there a thread for that and how to reasonably maximise that claim?

Budza

Executive Member
I don't get the internet thing. If you're on an uncapped plan; it literally costs you nothing extra when WFH. Chair and screens, maybe. But you don't pay travel costs anymore, so it should be in your favour, financially to work from home.

For entertainment only, my asymmetric home fibre was sufficient.

WFH is better with symmetric fibre- so I've bumped mine up. A contribution towards that would be nice. Or as mentioned above, some assistance in claiming that back from SARS :)

wernervn

We could take work laptops and screens. Already had an uncapped connection at home. My company is also contributing R1500 towards an ergonomic chair and UPS.

I bought an inverter, well worth the spend for after-hours and weekend load shedding too. Saving about R1500 in fuel costs.