Work from home. What does the company provide?

Tman543

The problem with claiming WFH taxes, you need to setup a seperate dedicated office at home and you will be liable for 20% Capital Gains Tax when you sell your property. If you rent, go ahead, but if you own the house, well youre royally screwed. So you dont bother claiming. SARS will hound you forever.
CGT is excluded for the first 2 million on property, also if you only started WFH in 2020 and lets say you stayed in the property for +10 years then amount liable from the 2 mil would be minimal (Even if it is 20% (This is calculated as WFH office space size/ total floor size), which is quite high for an office space)

Then compare that tax liability to the WFH deduction you receive, you should still be the winner at the end of the day.

But I agree the effort of jumping through hoops for SARS is a big pain in the butt.

I got work laptop, screen, chair, data sim as backup, with the option of a R300 subsidy for home internet. There was also an option for a (tiny) UPS.

Wife got basically the same, except they sent her 2x UPS's and they subsidized home internet up to R1500, which has since been reduced to something like R800.

Splinter

Honorary Master
For entertainment only, my asymmetric home fibre was sufficient.

WFH is better with symmetric fibre- so I've bumped mine up. A contribution towards that would be nice. Or as mentioned above, some assistance in claiming that back from SARS :)

I'm intrigued. Never heard of these nuances before when it comes to fiber/fibre. Care to expand?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Initially just monitor/s, chair and of course laptop with related accessories like keyboard and trackpad etc oh and a standing desk setup.

Later on got a $1000 WFH bonus to setup a home office properly for the longer term.

No internet or electricity, but really small change compared to the petrol and time to go into the office.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I'm intrigued. Never heard of these nuances before when it comes to fiber/fibre. Care to expand?

Asymmetric means the download and upload are different.

Symmetrical means they match and therefore uploads are usually much higher which is important in jobs that require a lot of data to be moved around.

TofuMofu

Honorary Master
I'm hoping we get to WFH permanently. They gave us a tiny UPS for the router, but my FNO doesn't have backup so it doesn't help me. We could also take our screens, but I already have a 32" screen so just using my own.

I save A LOT on fuel and insurance (pausing my car insurance when I'm not using it). So this alone outweighs anything else. Also the stress from driving to and from work is gone so that's a plus. And I work in peace and quiet.

Claymore

Executive Member
I have my laptop, desktop (which I don't actually use), and two 24" screens. I had the option of bringing my chair home, but I have one at home already. In addition, the company supplies me with a 20/20 fibre line, router, VPN device, and inverter. I pay an extra R500pm to bump the fibre speed up to 200/200.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
The most important thing working from home has enabled me to do is move cities, so after 8/9 years in CT, I've moved back to friends and family and a long-standing off and on partner, which has been, well, wonderful.

In terms of items, I took along my very nice office chair, a monitor (although, I use my own monitor as my main one since it has all the pixels), my laptop, VPN subscription, and the company will help out with power-related items, etc, if the blackout issues get bad.

I've got uncapped fibre in any event, so that's here one way or the other. Don't need anything else.

Reactions: air

RedViking

Nord of the South
I got me a nice office chair from Cecil Nurse.

I got me Fibre, Fixed LTE and Mobile LTE.

I got my Inverter and Batteries to stay online.

I got me nice PC some years ago which is due for an upgrade, but not at the insane prices we currently have.

Looking for a Notebook now, but struggle to find something I want.

My wife who doesn't want to work for me, got a slow and outdated PC from work and that is it. I had to get her nice stuff. In fact, when she does go to office she takes the chair I bought for her with.

Anyways, I am glad she has work. And if you have work + you can work form home and still receive the same salary and hours. You should have nothing to complain about.

RonSwanson

Executive Member
I got me a nice office chair from Cecil Nurse.

I got me Fibre, Fixed LTE and Mobile LTE.

I got my Inverter and Batteries to stay online.

I got me nice PC some years ago which is due for an upgrade, but not at the insane prices we currently have.

Looking for a Notebook now, but struggle to find something I want.

My wife who doesn't want to work for me, got a slow and outdated PC from work and that is it. I had to get her nice stuff. In fact, when she does go to office she takes the chair I bought for her with.

Anyways, I am glad she has work. And if you have work + you can work form home and still receive the same salary and hours. You should have nothing to complain about.
All that from your employer?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Just a chair and a monitor. Nothing else.

I have to pay for my own internet 50mbps minimum speed plus uncapped avail. By running imports and updates I use about 200gb of data pm just for work.

I have a laptop thats really the slowest i5 possible with barely any ram. My warranty has expired and I was told to use my personal laptop should that break.

I dont save on petrol as I really stay 5km away from my work. Have to pay for my own coffee, tea, electricity.

And now they want me to work from 7am till 7pm daily, even though my hours is from 8-4h30. And they demand me to take leave as they dont want their leave balances messed up, but I must take leave, and still be avail all day for work, and must check data imports etc. So I have told them i dont see the need for leave.

Now they want me to come back 4 days a week, but when i get home i must still work till 8pm
What exactly do you do? I'd be looking for a new job based on what you've stated, and I'd cut my work hours back down to 8, if you're working properly those 8 hours, more work means they need to hire another guy to help handle the load.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
I have my laptop, desktop (which I don't actually use), and two 24" screens. I had the option of bringing my chair home, but I have one at home already. In addition, the company supplies me with a 20/20 fibre line, router, VPN device, and inverter. I pay an extra R500pm to bump the fibre speed up to 200/200.
If you were provided with a Meraki then I'm fairly certain we have the same employer:D

Corelli

Expert Member
What exactly do you do? I'd be looking for a new job based on what you've stated, and I'd cut my work hours back down to 8, if you're working properly those 8 hours, more work means they need to hire another guy to help handle the load.
I'm an Artificial Intelligence Programmer in large scale Data Analytics and Big Data.

Zae87

I got my work laptop and screen. Bought myself a comfy chair.
Company provides cellphone and Internet benefits (R1500 in total).
Also got provided a small UPS but not using it now as I have the inverter/battery setup