Working from Home - Data Usage for Work, Who is responsible for the cost?

garylaue

I've always paid costs, it was negotiated that way in my contract. I just made sure I am paid enough to cover my work from home expenses.
This is a great idea as if you use 70% private and 30% work usage how is this calculated.

Eric

Honorary Master
This is a great idea as if you use 70% private and 30% work usage how is this calculated.
It doesn't matter how much private or work since I pay for it all. I just make sure I'm happy with my salary and I buy whatever connection I want, factoring it in. I have 150 Gb + 150 Gb LTE at the moment. I've worked this way on and off for almost 15 years.

fussydassie

A data usage cap of 100Mb per day could be set?

That would depend a lot on what's being expected. I'm using a company sim for 3g and my average usage looks around 800-900Mb a day. That's an hour or two of audio skype/teams, using 365 throughout, transferring documents to colleagues etc. Video calls will bump that up quickly.

Last edited:

The_Donkey

Honorary Master
Nobody is really responsible for anything, but a good company will cover it all or assist.

My current company issues everyone who didn’t have uncapped or reliable internet with a LTE SIM card to use.

Previous company you expense claimed up to R350 per month for home use.

Company before that paid for the whole thing. But I was also available 24/7/365 so there is that.
Are you saying that I need to buy my own monitor to enable me to work for my company?

Internet access is an implicitly implied requirement and enabler, unless expressly excluded from one's contract for people who are required to work from home.

garylaue

That would depend a lot on what's being expected. I'm using a company sim for 3g and my average usage looks around 800-900Mb a day. That's an hour or two of audio skype/teams, using 365 throughout, transferring documents to colleagues etc. Video calls will bump that up quickly.
Agreed, the 100Mb /day is for pure basics of checking emails, ERP access and basic Google and Banking access, we use a Remote Gateway where staff work off a Remote Server at an IDC where they log into, this server does all the downloads and all there rdp session does is do a GUI, but for video and picture editing a different game especially if you are continuously uploading worked on content to the cloud for backup. Thanks for sharing.

garylaue

Are you saying that I need to buy my own monitor to enable me to work for my company?

Internet access is an implicitly implied requirement and enabler, unless expressly excluded from one's contract for people who are required to work from home.
Agreed and disagree, a monitor and all computer accessories will need to be supplied to a staff member to work from home, the discussion is around most staff will have some type of internet access at home be it ADSL, Fiber or GSM 3G. The question is around when times are tough for companies and staff do need to work from home as per current regulations or in future we all may be able to work more from home as it does work, in the case of working from home the staff member is already saving at least R500.00 per month in transport and wear & tear costs to get to the office, the R500.00 per month will cover an uncapped connection. In these times where companies have limited cash flow all these areas of saving provide cover to allow the company to weather the storm.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

Did your laptop not come with a monitor? If you WANT another one then that is up to you.

Like I said good companies will cater for it, but there is nothing that really makes it anyone’s specific responsibility.

A lot of people also take the piss with this, that they NEED 100MB fibre fully paid for to do their jobs...and yet all it’s really for is their 4K Netflix etc.

In reality most of us don’t NEED more than a few gigs a month to do our jobs if we are honest with ourselves.

Also like was said above, now is not the time to make a fuss about silly things like these. If this goes on for 6 months and becomes a real cost to you or something you specially needed to lay money out for then you can complain about it.

My job requires internet, always has. But I already had internet in place for the last 2 decades and have never considered why anyone else should be paying for it because it’s a simple basic necessity of modern life.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Thanks that a great option to look at.

It only makes sense if it’s 100+ SIMS if I recall correctly.

Liquid Telecom actually have much better options and across providers so you aren’t locked down to any one single one on a bad signal area etc.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Agreed and disagree, a monitor and all computer accessories will need to be supplied to a staff member to work from home, the discussion is around most staff will have some type of internet access at home be it ADSL, Fiber or GSM 3G. The question is around when times are tough for companies and staff do need to work from home as per current regulations or in future we all may be able to work more from home as it does work, in the case of working from home the staff member is already saving at least R500.00 per month in transport and wear & tear costs to get to the office, the R500.00 per month will cover an uncapped connection. In these times where companies have limited cash flow all these areas of saving provide cover to allow the company to weather the storm.

Yeah people can be quite oblivious to the realities of what is going on and deeply entitled.

Our company is scrapping the travel allowance (a benefit very few companies have in the first place I might add) while under lockdown and people are up on arms about “losing” that money because they budgeted it into their finances.

But they’ve forgotten that they aren’t actually travelling and hence that cost doesn’t exist in the first place that the allowance is for. In fact on average they’ll have far more in their pocket than the allowance ever put there in the first place.

R500 is a small price to pay for you to still pull your entire salary every month for having done your work. The alternative of no job or full pay is much much worse.

Napalm

Expert Member
specially now , windows is also fairly hungry when windows updates apply or av updates. It is something you cannot control really.

Sargeant

Working from Home - Data Usage for Work, Who is responsible for the cost?

Many people have their own uncapped fibre or ADSL or GSM LTE at home, where data usage is not an issue which means working fully from home comes at no extra costs. The staff that is forced to work from home which is not the company or staff member's choice, have possible limited GSM data and use their cell phone as a hot spot. Who is liable for that data and can the staff member claim back from work? There are many other aspects to consider that the staff member no longer incurs petrol or car wear & tear costs to get to the office.

The usage is also very difficult to measure in that there may be some usage for work, there could also be other usages for personal streaming of YouTube and DSTV.
  • A data usage cap of 100Mb per day could be set? The company could supply work Sim Cards with a monthly allocation.
  • A company Policy for Web Usage could be used to block Streaming but adds huge maintenance and support.
  • A VPN Log of usage could also be used to validate claimed usage?
Working from home may become a norm for many staff that can and the question of how companies manage this and allow Staff to work from home will become more relevant going forward.
"Forced to work from home", really? Maybe you should count yourself lucky that you still have a job and income!

tin4444

My view is simply that I would pay for internet at home whether I work or not. As has been mentioned, if I didn’t have internet, I am sure the company would organize a dongle for a connection.

If you can or always have had internet why expect reimbursement now, if you don’t have sufficient internet then discuss with your company.

mak2000

Expert Member
I'm sure there is a compromise to this, since most are not travelling to work and saving on fuel and travel time.