Working from home is here to stay, according to experts

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator

The number of employees who work from home is expected to increase substantially in South Africa following the COVID-19 lockdown.

This is the view of leading tech companies VMware, Micro Focus, Euphoria Telecoms, and SqwidNet, who spoke to MyBroadband about remote working in South Africa.

johnjm

Expert Member
One of my employer's top execs said he believes the days of most of the staff working from the office are over.
Agreed. At least there is one good thing to come out of this. It will have negative affects on some areas like commercial property and those that provide corporate services like catering and cleaning, but we need to move on with the times and get out of the 1980s.

RedViking

Nord of the South
The biggest challenge we have in SA is the lack of reliable and cost effective Internet. Companies are soon going to find out what a mess it is.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Agreed. At least there is one good thing to come out of this. It will have negative affects on some areas like commercial property and those that provide corporate services like catering and cleaning, but we need to move on with the times and get out of the 1980s.
Sandton traffic may even become bearable.

r4nd0m

Does fibre still work during load-shedding if you can manage to power your ONT/router?

I know Cell-C LTE goes to a ball of #$%^ once it starts. Not sure about MTN.

A fully charged laptop can easily address the load-shedding, but I agree with the UPS backup option.

johnjm

Expert Member
Does fibre still work during load-shedding if you can manage to power your ONT/router?

A fully charged laptop can easily address the load-shedding, but I agree with the UPS backup option.
That was random.

Lupus

Honorary Master
You clearly don't have a MECER 2400VA

:p
I actually do :( but the batteries are borked and when I had money at the beginning of the year load shedding made them only arrive in 21 to 25 days, than the Rona hit and I can't get any.

Lupus

Honorary Master

Mine has always worked through load shedding. Also a fully charged laptop can cover CPT load shedding. Johannesburg's 4 1/2 hour ones push it's limit

lexity

Expert Member

The number of employees who work from home is expected to increase substantially in South Africa following the COVID-19 lockdown.

This is the view of leading tech companies VMware, Micro Focus, Euphoria Telecoms, and SqwidNet, who spoke to MyBroadband about remote working in South Africa.
Sounds like a top-down push for 5G i.e. ubiquitous, networks.

Priming the hapless consumer into thinking he is the one demanding it.

binkybozo

Our fibre works just fine when there is load shedding. Webafrica has always said that the speeds may slow down during load shedding but it never has.

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
One potential downside is if companies start to go the next step and convert work from home employee headcount into freelancers, saves them the benefits expenses like medical aid.