Working from home permanently may damage your mental health – Microsoft CEO

Hanno Labuschagne

Expert Member
Staff member

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella believes permanent remote working could be detrimental to employee health.

Nadella’s comments came in an interview with the New York Times, during which he said permanently working from home could be damaging to the social interaction of workers, which could lead to mental health problems.

Microsoft was one of the first companies to allow its employees to work from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It has extended this remote working policy until at least October.

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
“What I miss is when you walk into a physical meeting, you are talking to the person that is next to you, you’re able to connect with them for the two minutes before and after,” Nadella said.
They all used to be physical before MS Sharepoint and teams :(

What we miss is that connection with a stompie or necking a bottle ....

Nemoneiros

Expert Member

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella believes permanent remote working could be detrimental to employee health.

Nadella’s comments came in an interview with the New York Times, during which he said permanently working from home could be damaging to the social interaction of workers, which could lead to mental health problems.

Microsoft was one of the first companies to allow its employees to work from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It has extended this remote working policy until at least October.
Can't damage what we've already been done to by anc :unsure:

Reactions: XTM

LCBXX

Honorary Master
We're social creatures and enjoy the presense of other humans, even if it is just being around strangers. Pretending otherwise is stupid.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
yeah, I dont want to work from home forever.
I do however want to be able to work from home more often in the future.
2-3 days a week is good for me. The other days I can go to the office if needed.
This I agree with. It is good to touch base with your colleagues and talk some nonsense and good workplace bantering while working hard on an important projectslaving away at your menial tasks.

HOWEVER - the cat is out of the bag wrt travelling expenses and time. I'd rather spend less time travelling and be more productive than wasting time and money being stuck in traffic - or being victim to a smash and grab or hijacking.

Last edited:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Say the company who wants to make mixed reality our daily productivity.

I do agree with this,

According to him, virtual meetings cannot replace certain aspects of in-person interactions.
though those aspects need to be elaborated on. I establish trust by meeting people in-person, but otherwise, I tend to most I do remotely.

You do need social interaction and body language and touch, in terms with cultural etiquette, though not too many people like to be 'touched'. The physical exchange is important, whether it is a handshake or exchanging business cards.

Where you can negotiate your IQ via remote, it is impossible to do so with EQ and SQ, because a remote environment bridges the social environment over and above your bubble.

akescpt

Honorary Master
Working from home is a great thing without the current social restrictions. Should be fluid in my opinion. You determine when and how often you work from home within some form of management guideline.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Believe one can be more productive working from home, if it wasn't for small and not so small "distractions" running bored around the house.
I actually just had this conversation with @Craig. Things will be so much easier with them back at school