World of Warcraft - Classic (Vanilla)

Blizzcon: Classic Wow will be open to all subs, and be released 2nd quarter 2019, pick what applies:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rustie

Some questions to the myBB gaming community in a poll.
Feel free to elaborate on your choice or any opinions you might have, in a post below,

Crowley

Executive Member
Never been interested.
No idea what all the hype was / is about.
You wouldn't get the hype because you never played.

WoW was/is like a drug if you let it. I quit a few years ago and even though I had some great times with my guild I would not return. Ever.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Linux client and Im in. Or I will just have to wait for a new pc. One or the other.

Arzy

Honorary Master
Yeah, fond memories (shout out Flames of Anduril, Scrubs, Affliction, Prophecy) but I'm done. Stopped half way through Legion, came back a month into BFA and actually canceled all my subs earlier today.

The game isn't a game anymore, it's become a chore and I personally just don't enjoy the direction the current dev team is taking it in.

I won't be playing classic, despite it being a great experience all those years ago, simply because it can't recreate the memories.

Getting benediction or being there when Ulat got Thunderfury or finally getting through the suppression chamber in BWL for the first time...

You can't recreate that.

Volksieboi

Expert Member
Never played WoW

Heard it was cancer, stayed away, also... i think i had a life :p

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
Not gonna lie on Wow classics vanilla/bc/wolk the private servers are better. Anything after Wotlk really didn't interest me and I think Blizzard made weird choices.

They have modded them in such a way that they are better then the original games, portals from point A - B, fine tuned skills and added quality of life changes that make the games more bearable.

95% of the quests in the older versions are working and in areas where they aren't they either have xp boosts or have cut the quests from the game (normally following quest which suck anyway).

Player numbers are great 6000+ players online at a time depending on the server and time of the day where I think Blizzard has 1000 - 2000 people on a server so you are always running into people and pvp only servers make the game more fun.

I won't be playing any more Blizzard Wow, mythics, daily quests and losing the social aspect of the game broke wow for me and the private servers are doing it better.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Started playing WoW about 6 months ago, got to level 34.
Found it as boring as watching paint dry.
Why do I have to kill 10 Young tigers, then 10 mature tigers, then 10 old tigers, repeat ad nauseaum?

Rustie

Not gonna lie on Wow classics vanilla/bc/wolk the private servers are better. Anything after Wotlk really didn't interest me and I think Blizzard made weird choices.

They have modded them in such a way that they are better then the original games, portals from point A - B, fine tuned skills and added quality of life changes that make the games more bearable.

95% of the quests in the older versions are working and in areas where they aren't they either have xp boosts or have cut the quests from the game (normally following quest which suck anyway).

Player numbers are great 6000+ players online at a time depending on the server and time of the day where I think Blizzard has 1000 - 2000 people on a server so you are always running into people and pvp only servers make the game more fun.

I won't be playing any more Blizzard Wow, mythics, daily quests and losing the social aspect of the game broke wow for me and the private servers are doing it better.
How do you recon a private server would be better that the original creators of the game's servers?

Reavs

I'm looking forward to classic. Won't make the mistake of rolling a hunter again.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Why do I have to kill 10 Young tigers, then 10 mature tigers, then 10 old tigers, repeat ad nauseaum?
Tbh, you can't play WoW without other people, it's what makes the game.
And your gripe with killing things/why, would apply to most MMO.

Wouldn't join Vanilla as I already found TBC a bit of a chore/lacking in basic features as I started playing in WotLK.
I actually played TBC last year again, couldn't play it without 100MB of addons.
1541506426805.png
WotLK brought that down to 15MB and that includes 6MB of admin stuff as I self-hosted a server for some friends so we could mess around in a PvP world and try to get to level 20 first, all in the same area.

WoW is only fun if you have others, it can't really be played alone. I say the same of Guild Wars 2, the same for Dota, or pretty much any game designed around playing with/against others.

Started playing Fortnite recently, played one evening alone, started getting bored (I really am not that great, out of ~10 games I've only placed 7,8,10,15, and the others were way higher/earlier deaths) but played with a friend again with Mic chat and it's way more fun.

And in regards to Vanilla, I do wonder how many MB of addons I would install to make that game playable. TBC was already a chore with no mounts pretty much until level 60.
The highest expansion I played was MoP, and that got boring within a couple of months, compared to WotLK which I played for quite a few years, the content felt recycled and dungeons and raids were easy. Guess skill level increased, which took a bit of enjoyment out of the game.

WoW now is focused on end-game content, not really the leveling. Still get people speed running level 1-max, and you can do that pretty quick. There's been a lot of tweaks in xp gain in order to allow one to more quickly get through old content, imagine being stuck at TBC levels of xp gain all the way to 100, it would take the casual a couple of years to get to end-game...

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
How do you recon a private server would be better that the original creators of the game's servers?
Unless blizzard changes things which I doubt it's gonna be the same game that takes 15-30 mins to travel between places and having more people in locations then blizzard makes it more enjoyable.

The Voice

Executive Member
Unless blizzard changes things which I doubt it's gonna be the same game that takes 15-30 mins to travel between places and having more people in locations then blizzard makes it more enjoyable.
Did you make it to the water? (BfA joke, sorry)

Back on topic, that was the biggest loss in WoW after Vanilla, and what really made it so amazing: community. No matter where you ran to while levelling, you'd ALWAYS run into a few other lowbies, sometimes banding up to try and survive the new (badly tuned) zone together. In fact, levelling WAS the game: you'd spent most of your time just getting to 60, and when you finally made it, it felt like an achievement - unlike today where you just want to get to max level ASAP so you can start your WQ's.

But, while Classic may bring back some of the better gaming parts of 1.12, it won't bring back the spirit of WoW. The exploration, the community, the amazing feeling of getting your first powerful blue item. Because we've been there and done that and just been spoilt since WotLK.

But yes, of course: I'll roll a character for the lols. Classic will be included in my standard subscription anyway.

Arzy

Honorary Master
I see heelvsbabyface put up a video on youtube specifically about playing classic. Touches on a lot of the above points.

Blizz really did dumb down a great game to try and make a quick buck.

The Voice

Executive Member
I see heelvsbabyface put up a video on youtube specifically about playing classic. Touches on a lot of the above points.

Blizz really did dumb down a great game to try and make a quick buck.
I stopped watching his stuff a while ago - he got way too ranty for me, but will check out the vid.

I think Vanilla can be summed up in one line: "Where is Mankrik's wife?". You literally HAD to speak to strangers in /1 or /s or /w to find out things about the game because Wowhead, etc, didn't exist. After a while we had thottbot - but it's nothing compared to the resources we have available now. I think the people who never played Vanilla are in for a huge shock just with the questing if Classic stays true to the original! :D

Arzy

Honorary Master
I stopped watching his stuff a while ago - he got way too ranty for me, but will check out the vid.

I think Vanilla can be summed up in one line: "Where is Mankrik's wife?". You literally HAD to speak to strangers in /1 or /s or /w to find out things about the game because Wowhead, etc, didn't exist. After a while we had thottbot - but it's nothing compared to the resources we have available now. I think the people who never played Vanilla are in for a huge shock just with the questing if Classic stays true to the original! :D
Thottbot, zygor and dugi...

poffle

Executive Member
Cant wait! Been playing on Nost/Lights hope etc. and i can't wait for a place where my toon just gets wiped. I'll definitely resub just for this.

Pitbull

Verboten
That is what all the expansions brought you.

In Classic you needed to be lvl 40 to get a mount. To get enough gold to buy a mount took ages of farming. It was awesome!