World Rugby to honour Danie Gerber

MickeyD

RIP
Cape Town - Legendary Springbok centre Danie Gerber will be inducted into World Rugby’s Hall of Fame later this year.

The World Rugby Hall of Fame recognises the outstanding achievements and contributions of individuals who have shaped the sport of rugby.

Gerber, 57, is one of 24 new inductees into the Hall of Fame, with the presentations to be held on Sunday, September 20 prior to the Rugby World Cup match between New Zealand and Argentina at Wembley Stadium.

Due to South Africa’s sporting isolation during Apartheid, Gerber’s international career was limited to 24 Tests for the Boks between 1980 and 1992.

However, he made enough of an impact for many pundits to regard him as one of the most gifted centres ever to play international rugby.

He was a powerful runner with ball in hand and had a side-step and swerve not often seen in the modern game. It helped him to an impressive 19 tries in 24 Tests for his country.

At domestic level, Gerber played 115 games for Eastern Province, but also had stints with Western Province (40) and Free State (24).

Herman Mostert - Sport24

Source: http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springboks/World-Rugby-to-honour-Danie-Gerber-20150806

MickeyD

RIP
[video=youtube;0UXN3bJxDKU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UXN3bJxDKU[/video]

sand_man

Honorary Master
What a great player, so sad not to have seen more of him on the international stage!

That back line had to be the best in SA history?

MickeyD

RIP
[video=youtube;VE7sXwcbOgY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE7sXwcbOgY[/video]

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Man, that was impressive to watch. Not just the pace but the strength! Two of those tries he just ran straight OVER the tackler. I've got to laugh at the ref who awarded that last try. Flamboyant!

Thanks for posting Mickey. Great stuff. And well earned too, Danie.

sand_man

Honorary Master
His name is Danie from Despatch, he's our hero in every match... :p

Pitbull

Verboten
I remember him coming out of retirement to help the Boks when we had a centre problem. He scored 2 tries that match against NZ :D

Epic centre, and one of the greatest to ever play the game. Well deserved.

Electric

Honorary Master
I don't remember him being so fast.
Nice work on making the Hall of Fame, well deserved.

Splatgrave

Thanks for posting this. Haven't thought about Mr Gerber in a long time.

When I was a kid, in the 80s, we lived next door to him in PE. It was like a townhouse complex or something. Each unit had a little garden. I was a naughty kid and I'd climb into his garden and destroy his flowers. He used to chase me out of the garden all the time. Good times...

My Dad used to also take me to watch him play all the time back then. Pity he never really got to shine properly on the international stage.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
I remember him coming out of retirement to help the Boks when we had a centre problem. He scored 2 tries that match against NZ :D

Epic centre, and one of the greatest to ever play the game. Well deserved.

Can you remember when it was? Wouldn't mind trawling YouTube for highlights.

MickeyD

RIP
[video=youtube;zAgvYyybT5M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAgvYyybT5M[/video]

Pitbull

Verboten
Seems to have been this one:

WIKI
After a long period of isolation in 1992 he played his final five test vs: New Zealand in Johannesburg scoring two tries

I think he retired in 1990 but came back for the tests in 1992 as we had no other centres. I'll try and find a source, that's how I remember it though.