Worst passwords of the year (2012)

Shred

Expert Member
Company Rep
Awesome, my password "123" does not appear in the list, I am safe!

MickZA

Executive Member
In that case Password (note the capital P) is safe :)

Ran into it on two new Dell laptops recently.

abzob

Honorary Master
Mine is usually the date I created the account.

/changes mybb PW from "18november2008"

chrisc

Executive Member
Neighbour came from Germany and had a German special character in her password that would not take to re-assigning a key on a US keyboard.

ambo

Expert Member
Who uses a password manager? I've been using one for a number of months now... 20 character random passwords for each site that I visit.

bdt

Executive Member
What??? No "correct horse battery staple".
I see what you did there - well played. :p (and I wonder how many times that's made to this site alone, much less around the tubes...)

Still and all, I'm surprised that the old techie staple of the 'finger walk' (that we all know so well) isn't in there - you know: q1w2e3r4

Last edited:

Ryansr

Expert Member
Always used different passwords for different logins that can keep a brute force dictionary attack busy for a very long time (even on fast machines) and then try to change it whenever I feel it is necessary. Never used a "password manager" as I can just store it all in my memory or use a text file on removable drive renamed to something else and no extension.

Password expiry is also good method, although it is very annoying.

Basically even the most secure password can be cracked, the only difficulty can be the time it takes to do it. :)

borga

On many sites I use the password 123456, but all of those sites are sites where you need to register to view the site or where it won't matter to me if someone access the account. For other sites more complex passwords are used.

siyya

Banned
i dont get it at first why would anyone use a simple password like 1234 or 1111, most of the time im advise to change my password. im not surprise these hackers they dont have to work that hard, pleople are basical allowing them free pass.