Worst Vehicle Drivers - Highways

During your travels, which vehicles displayed the absolute worst drivers on the national highways?

• BMW

Votes: 49 44.1%
  • Audi

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Mercedes

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Ford

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • Nissan

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Renault

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • VW

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • Range Rover

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • Other - Comment Please

Votes: 27 24.3%
  • Taxi

Votes: 42 37.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

namzsteve

Expert Member
Trying to establish if there is a pattern for cars that don't "keep left, pass right"

Really gets to me when all lanes are slow because of lane hogs.

Old age has me moving out of the way these days!

IMO
1 - Taxis c#nts
2 - VW (Especially Polo vivo drivers)
3 - Datsun/Nissan (Those Micra and Go drivers)
4 - Ford Ranger drivers my goodness!

Jefferson D'Arcy

How is Taxi's not the worse, no matter where they drive. They drive like cnts.
They do but they are entirely predictable, hence my defences are already in place. The doublecabs and Vivos and GL Coupes are veritable dangers.

R13...

Honorary Master
The answer is probably more like, "most of them". It is not the car, but the driver who is the problem but a lot of the dicks do seem to gravitate toward German luxury, Toyota (Hilux, Fortuna) and most any SUV.

scudsucker

Executive Member
I am middle aged, white, have a boep and a beard... and a white double cab Hilux. Every possible indicator (except for the hat thing) of being a **** on the road.

But I drive like a granny. Stick in the left lane, unless passing, I use indicators, I let faster traffic past whenever possible. I try to be as polite and considerate as possible.

Except: when those motherfuckers flash their headlights to tell me they are more important and their **** is more important than mine. Then... they get to slow down to +/- 10km/hr lower than the speed limit and wait until it is safe to pass.

My car has 3 mirrors that help me to see that some dickwad is directly behind me. I scan them every few seconds when driving. I know you want to pass. I will make a space for you to pass, when - in my opinion, as the driver of the lead car - it is safe.

Craig_

Honorary Master
I am middle aged, white, have a boep and a beard... and a white double cab Hilux. Every possible indicator (except for the hat thing) of being a **** on the road.

. Then... they get to slow down to +/- 10km/hr lower than the speed limit and wait until it is safe to pass.

Yip, makes sense.... you just need the hat.

Tacet

Expert Member
Except: when those motherfuckers flash their headlights to tell me they are more important and their **** is more important than mine. Then... they get to slow down to +/- 10km/hr lower than the speed limit and wait until it is safe to pass.

That 'safe to pass' bit is key here. The Road Traffic Act does not make provision for us to police someone else's speed by lane-blocking them, however tempting it may be.

For those not up to date on the Road Traffic Act, the relevant clauses regarding 'keep left pass right' and indicating that you want to pass by flashing your vehicle's headlights:

Regulation 323(5) states: “Where the driver of a motor vehicle which is being driven in the right-hand traffic lane or in the traffic lane furthest to the right on a freeway (hereinafter referred to as the first vehicle) becomes aware that the driver of another motor vehicle (hereinafter referred to as the second vehicle) intends to overtake the first vehicle, the driver of the first vehicle shall steer that vehicle to a lane to the left of the one in which he or she is driving, without endangering himself or herself or other traffic or property on the freeway, and shall not accelerate the speed of his or her vehicle until the second vehicle has passed.”

Regulation 323(6) then goes on to state: “For the purposes of subregulation (5) the driver of the second vehicle may make the driver of the first vehicle aware that he or she intends to overtake the first vehicle by giving the driver thereof a visible signal by means of flashing the headlights of his or her vehicle.”

Ironically the concept of flashing your vehicle's headlights at someone to show that you want to pass them is written into law, while the concept of flashing your hazards to say thanks is not.

Craig_

Honorary Master
That 'safe to pass' bit is key here. The Road Traffic Act does not make provision for us to police someone else's speed by lane-blocking them, however tempting it may be.

For those not up to date on the Road Traffic Act, the relevant clauses regarding 'keep left pass right' and indicating that you want to pass by flashing your vehicle's headlights:

Ironically the concept of flashing your vehicle's headlights at someone to show that you want to pass them is written into law, while the concept of flashing your hazards to say thanks is not.

Which was why I said he just needs the hat....

The_MAC

Executive Member
We recently returned from the North Coast after a nice relaxing holiday and even though I expected a lot of traffic during the travel, I didn't expect to see so many horridly stupid and ridiculously selfish drivers on the N3/N2/N1! The amount of times we were pushed out of our lane by people trying to squeeze in front of you before a truck or riding right up your backside with lights flashing as they are doing +150km/h, had my blood boiling. Let's not even mention Van Reenen's Pass! I feel for those truck drivers that have to deal with this daily as people seem to be unable to follow the basic rules of the road or even show some basic level of common courtesy whilst driving.

The German branded vehicles were the absolute worst in my experience.
Rant over, please vote as I thought it would be an interesting poll to run!

Thanks

EDIT: Multiple votes open so feel free to go ham
Keep left, pass right and you will be stress free..

The_MAC

Executive Member

I like to "Thank" people with my hazards that hog the fast lane and force me to overtake them in the slow lane - I'm taking about those that can absolutely move over since there is a 2km stretch ahead with no cars in the left lane..

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
Keep left, pass right and you will be stress free..
Agreed except when the left lane is filled with trucks and you are overtaking them just to have some a-hole speed up @ 150km/h and flash you to death without realising your indicator is on and you are just overtaking a truck or slower vehicle!

The_MAC

Executive Member
Agreed except when the left lane is filled with trucks and you are overtaking them just to have some a-hole speed up @ 150km/h and flash you to death without realising your indicator is on and you are just overtaking a truck or slower vehicle!
Yes, those people are idiots.

Chingha

Expert Member
Drive along the coastal N1 out of Cpt along garden route and decide how many people you want to kill.. all you need is a beefy vehicle and not be interested in braking and people will commit suicide around you as those silver foxes are pathetic with judging speed.
You might be grumpy because you found yourself on the wrong road?

Jefferson D'Arcy

This might be because a lot of South African's make the call to pull out based purely on distance and don't take speed into account. Hence causing all those already in lane to get on the anchors very, very hard.

Same reason so many highway pedestrians get smeared over the tarmac every day.

(I'd say there's also an element of selfishness and malice in many cases too. Who gives a **** if the next car long has to brake, I'm making my overtake and that's final)

Pegasus

Executive Member
Ford. Those rangers in particular.

I drive a BMW. Ford drivers must understand that they can't overtake us. We'll just have to overtake them at the next hill.

Also park somewhere else, not close to a BMW. We know you want one, but getting that close to one isn't going to get you one. You should have studied harder.

Jola

Honorary Master
Any vehicle in a Blue Light Convoy. Usually BMWs and Mercs !!!

True sign of a Banana Republic !!!

eg2505

Honorary Master

But I drive like a granny. Stick in the left lane, unless passing, I use indicators, I let faster traffic past whenever possible. I try to be as polite and considerate as possible.

My car has 3 mirrors that help me to see that some dickwad is directly behind me. I scan them every few seconds when driving. I know you want to pass. I will make a space for you to pass, when - in my opinion, as the driver of the lead car - it is safe.
you sir are a gentleman, who breaks the mold of Hilux/LDV German luxury sedan drivers, well done...

I can never understands people attitudes on the roads, its not like your going to get there faster, you overtake me in your Hilux, only to get stuck behind the next car in front of me.

what is the point, explain this to me? I call it my entertainment, when somebody acts like an A$$, flashing lights and hooting when your in the slow lane,
only to eventually overtake and find themselves behind an even slower car, whats the point?

and apologies to those that drive those kind of cars, but I just paint you all with the same brush, as Ive never seen/met anybody who drives those kind of cars like a Granny.
its almost as when you get one of those cars, you automatically get a attitude that says "im a d0es, get out of my way"

maybe one day when I get one of those cars, ill understand it...

eg2505

Honorary Master
Any vehicle in a Blue Light Convoy. Usually BMWs and Mercs !!!

True sign of a Banana Republic !!!
this, still waiting for the law to get passed, its illegal to drive at the same time as Zumas Convoy.
aka like in Zim during mugabage time