Would another airport be good for Cape Town?

Would another airport be good for Cape Town?

• Yes

Votes: 158 55.4%
  • No

Votes: 114 40.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.6%

• Total voters

Polymathic

Honorary Master
With the current state of the airline industry, I'd say no. But one hopes there will be a recovery

eg2505

Honorary Master
It would be great if Mango, SAA and the rest of the ANC owned companies stayed out of it permanently.
Unfortunately, you'll have to pay the useless goverment something, in order for it to be licenced, and the permits ECT...

But everything else? Look at what a success EasyJet and Ryanair made of small obscure airports.

I think that can be replicated in SA quite easily,
I'd even go so far to say, why only CPT?
What about EL or whatever the hell PE is now called.

Don't reinvent the Wheel, copy the damn thing.

ejozi

Cape Town is too small to accommodate another airport, but if it is privately owned, it may work as they could take business away from Cape Town International.

joker08

Expert Member
Cape town airport is not busy enough. Why would we need another airport?
What is needed is more mycity bus routes.

Colin62

Executive Member
They’ll need more capacity to cater for all those who need to get to Gqeberha but can’t pronounce it, who will need fly to Cape Town and hire a car.

spiff

Executive Member
It's not a proposal - It's happening already. The land was privately own by the De lange's. Jean decided to sell it after her husband got killed in an aircraft crash about 3yrs ago.

The airfield was sold over a year ago. The new owners have already cleared the land of vegetation and will begin resurfacing & repairing the runways early this year including resurrecting rw19. It will have a total of 4 runways - no other airfield in Cape Town has as many runways which gives pilots more choice when wind conditions don't always favour the main runway.

Fisantekraal

old fisantekraal

Brian_G

Expert Member
It's not a proposal - It's happening already. The land was privately own by the De lange's. Jean decided to sell it after her husband got killed in an aircraft crash about 3yrs ago.

The airfield was sold over a year ago. The new owners have already cleared the land of vegetation and will begin resurfacing & repairing the runways early this year including resurrecting rw19. It will have a total of 4 runways - no other airfield in Cape Town has as many runways which gives pilots more choice when wind conditions don't always favour the main runway.

Fisantekraal

old fisantekraal
It's not a done deal unless they're already through all the red tape, what's going on with that?

VoodooBean

Well yes of course another Airport makes logical sense .... as long as there is a tender involved everybody benefits !!! ;)

SeRpEnT

Executive Member
Yes
The N2 at Borcherds Quarry is too busy as it is.
Then it just takes a coupla angry voters next door to go start braaing on the road and the entire place is shut down.
People are late for their departures and get fined
Ridiculous government
Build another airport, far away from upset voters
:thumbsup:
ViVa ANC, ViVa!!!

spiff

Executive Member
It's not a done deal unless they're already through all the red tape, what's going on with that?
do you think they would spend money on their project if they haven't got their ducks in a row? these billionaires don't play games. they have hoards of lawyers working for them 24/7.

but hey don't take my word - I just hanger my gyrocpter at FAFK - so what do I know?

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
It makes sense in the context of the second CBD in the north. There was a project Future Tyger IIRC that sought to revamp Voortrekker road and establish proper public transport, etc. Having an airport near there seems to fit IMO.

Solarion

Honorary Master
More noise in the sky of an otherwise fairly peaceful and quiet municipality. Nope.

DeatheCore

More noise in the sky of an otherwise fairly peaceful and quiet municipality. Nope.
Having lived in the Northern Suburbs, directly under a major flight path for many years, you occasionally forget about the earthquake-like, window-rattling forces every time an A380 flies overhead, occasionally...

Naks

Executive Member
Having lived in the Northern Suburbs, directly under a major flight path for many years, you occasionally forget about the earthquake-like, window-rattling forces every time an A380 flies overhead, occasionally...

but A380s aren't allowed to fly in/out of CTIA?

Brian_G

Expert Member
do you think they would spend money on their project if they haven't got their ducks in a row? these billionaires don't play games. they have hoards of lawyers working for them 24/7.

but hey don't take my word - I just hanger my gyrocpter at FAFK - so what do I know?
It was a point, not an inquisition.

BTW, used to be very involved in the gyrocopter community myself, in Gauteng and Mesina - it's hardly something that indicates certain knowledge. Connections who might know, yes.