Would another airport be good for Cape Town?

Would another airport be good for Cape Town?

• Yes

Votes: 158 55.4%
  • No

Votes: 114 40.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.6%

• Total voters

Naks

Executive Member
I'm pretty sure I've flown A380's out of Whinny Maindealer on Emirates in the past.

No, you haven't, because CTIA cannot accommodate them. This is/was one of the reasons for the current upgrade.

The only plane EK flies out of CTIA is the B777. We love flying the EK A380, but refuse to set foot in ORTIA, so we schlep it in the B777...

Georgios

No, you haven't, because CTIA cannot accommodate them. This is/was one of the reasons for the current upgrade.

The only plane EK flies out of CTIA is the B777. We love flying the EK A380, but refuse to set foot in ORTIA, so we schlep it in the B777...
CTIA upgrade has been delayed again. No idea now when the upgrade will go ahead.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Yes, and most likely also the reason CoCT wants to 'CBD' Bellville.

As a port, another airport will be welcomed.

rh1

Expert Member
Cape town airport is not busy enough. Why would we need another airport?
What is needed is more mycity bus routes.
If the 2nd airport parking is a percentage of the cost of CPT International, I would use it.

itareanlnotani

Expert Member

I've definitely done the A380 (aka feels like an overgrown toilet seat in business).
May have been on the PVG DXB leg vs the DXB CPT leg though, as you say CPT no haz space.

bushy@mmae.co.za

No doubt, privatise SAA, or create similar partnership as Telkom, more landing strips allows for lower costs at large

neoprema

Expert Member
Cape Town is too small to accommodate another airport, but if it is privately owned, it may work as they could take business away from Cape Town International.
There is more chance of a Vulcan Cruiser landing in the middle of Sandton than Government allowing an airport to come up that they couldn't somehow control, pillage, and benefit from the 900% tender inflation.

Corelli

Expert Member
Not at all, but a better airport would do wonders. ie building something like Changi airport with the gardens etc. They can get Kirstenbosch involved and someone that knows how to make it instagramable inside. That could do wonders. And bring in a bit of local food, not just the takeaways, but real Boere Braai, African pap, and some Cape Malay. Actually get a restaurant like Moyo involved to run like the airport lounges. A mix of that and the cullinan hotel.

Then expand the runway. Allow the larger planes.

And finally decorate the N2 corridor. Sure there are some informal settlements but encourage and assist them in painting the rainbow colours as you enter. The tourists would love it.

The idea is to make it feel authentic. But I would blend a mix of Dutch/French/English/Khoi/Malay ie the authentic people of Cape Town

Corelli

Expert Member
The airport must NOT be state owned, funded, or any tax payers money used.
Private money only.
Then, okay.
The ACSA is probably the best run company in South Africa. Just now with Covid they had hassles but before they were busy realigning the runway for larger planes and expanding for arrivals of upto 80 million a year (bigger than OR Tambo).

rvZA

Expert Member
I think with the current economy, it will be a waste of both time and money.

WHJ

It would be a tremendous asset if built between Blouberg en Langebaan for future expansion and development,
and to serve residents and businesses of the Northern suburbs

Cosmik Debris

Expert Member
Bellville will be the second CBD of the Western Cape this decade.

So it would make sense to have a airport close by

Bellville already had city status before they were joined with Cape Town after 1994. They had their own number plate to show this - CY. And CTN Int is closer to Bellville than it is to Cape Town.