Would it be a TOTALLY DUMBASS thing if one signs an iphone contract now?

WiT8litZ

You all high? There are dual-core smartphones with better specs available.
This summarises the iPhone vs. everybody else argument completely. Bringing specs to an experience fight.

If you can get the iPhone without paying in, do it, but I wouldn't go splashing a ton of cash on it right now.

OverKill69

The iTunes experience is very much the reason I switched to Android. I can see why some people like it but it was just not for me.

I can also see why people like it... because they've never needed to know how to use a computer!!!!
They've never used a computer with limited hard drive space in their lives...
Never used a much more user friendly music player in their lives...
Never heard of the concept of freedom of thought... instead... they hear Jobs and obey.

"Mr Steve sir... is it right that we use a different encoder to the rest of the world even though LAME has been proven to be the best over and over again?"
"Shutup NOOB! Sound quality means NOTHING! as long as you don't pair more than one device to one iTunes no-one cares about artistic integrity... so you're losing vast chunks of the audible spectrum and replacing it with compression... who cares!"

"Mr Steve sir... why does my computer have so many more processes running in the background now that I've installed iTunes? just mentioning it... some of them aren't even signed by Apple Corp... some of them are even FRENCH sounding... WEIRD"
"Shutup NOOB! You didn't buy an Apple computer so it's your own fault for not over paying for the same components... now your computer is MINE! I OWN YOUR LIFE! I WILL RUN WHATEVER I WANT TO RUN!"

As for battery life me iPhone 4 lasts about 5 days well 3g and wifi is off most of the time. About the same for my Desire if I treat it like an iPhone.
4 days?
NEVA!
Even over this long weekend... when I didn't take calls... didn't use data... didn't friggen do anything with my phone it only lasted slightly more than a day...
The funny thing is... i whipped out my old N97 to use as a music player for the drive... 8 hrs of the music player, FM transmitter being on... 2+ year old battery... AND searching for cell signal the whole way... dropped 1 BAR.

I cannot see the iPhone's battery lasting more than 2 days under ANY circumstances.

Elimentals

Honorary Master
I can also see why people like it... because they've never needed to know how to use a computer!!!!
They've never used a computer with limited hard drive space in their lives...
Never used a much more user friendly music player in their lives...
Never heard of the concept of freedom of thought... instead... they hear Jobs and obey.

My issue is more in the line of while I was answering that post I was in bed and forgot I wanted Pink Floyd's The Wall on my phone for this morning so I connected to the windows share(wifi) and copied some albums into my library in the background so that I can listen to it this morning. The iPhone would have just told me where to get off.

4 days?
NEVA!

Yes 4 Days, granted that I dont do anything with it ie: have 3G & WiFi off. Also I never use auto brightness, and have my phones on 20% all the time.
My DHD & iPhone last about 2 days with normal use, that is 3G always on some surfing and about an hour's worth of calls, again I use 20% brightness all the time. Well that is when I am not playing multiplayer 1st person shooters on them as that will drain the battery in no time flat.

But to be honest if my phone last a full day I am happy, something the iPhone 3Gs was known for not doing.

macboer

Thanks for all the comments.

I was referring to the iPhone-hardware being updated "soon".
I think the problem for me is that, say the phone comes out in end of September...20th.
Then add 4 weeks, that makes it end November...say 20th. Then I still don't know if the contracts that are availible now, will be updated with the new phone.

I'm looking at the 309/mth deal of MTN.

What's your opinion on all this waiting? Do I have the cat grabbed by the tail... :|

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
Yeah its a tough call. Remember you're locking yourself into that contract for 2 years. How will you feel when the iPhone 5 comes out with an A5 chip built in, which is twice as fast, and an 8mp camera? Devastated? If so, wait? Ok? If so don't wait. I think the iPhone 4 will still be kick ass for the next 2-3 years personally and will still have a good resale value.

Elimentals

Honorary Master
Personally I think Apple will release a iPhone 4s with LTE in September not the iPhone 5 that is planed to have NFC.
They waiting for the NFC standards to settle 1st.

Question is do you see your current phone hold on for another year?

Acydebyte

Ok, so now that all the Apple Haters have had their say and gotten their morning My Android is better than your Apple of their chest. We can actually post about your question.

I think Synaesthesia said it best when asking if you will be devestated if the iPhone 5/4s comes out and has an A5 chip, better camera and possibly a slightly bigger screen (these seem to be the common assumptions). If the answer is yes, then wait, however do yourself a favour and make friends with anyone and everyone that owns or runs a cellphone shop around you now so that you can be one of the first people on the list for stock when it comes out. Their will be massive waiting lists and stock shortages.

The iPhone 4 is not the highest spec phone in the market, it is not the more customisable, however what it does offer your is a seemless user experience. I love the fact that Elimentals was able to wifi the Pink Floyd album to his phone without plugging it in, that is amazing. Apple will have a similar concept with iCloud in OS5, sure its gonna be done via data but the idea is similar, our data contracts would make this inaccesible for those using a small 3G bundle. However those at home with ADSL and wifi will not feel the pinch really.

OverKill69 hasa point, if you want to be able to reconfigure, recode, redesign and re-engineer your phone, the iPhone is completely the wrong end of the spectrum for you. The iPhone in its standard not jailbroken guise is not for the Uber Geek who wants full control of his phone to manipulate as he sees fit, its for those of us who want to be on the leading edge (not bleeding edge) of technology with a stable and user friendly interface that just works.

Sure i wish i could customise a few more things in my iPhone, but i sure as hell dont miss the lag, hanging and constant restoring after a dowloaded some infected application from an uncontrolled app store that i had with my Windows 6.1 and Android phones. I know that by downloading an app through the app store, it has been tested to not have any malicoius or negative impact on my phone. The confidence is why i have become an Apple fan, Sir Jobs as the Droids call him as realised that their is a market for people who enjoy technology without the pitfalls of a mass open community looking to hamper your overall experience.

All in all its personal choice and whichever you decide, enjoy the technology at your disposal.

OverKill69

Present company included....??

No... but even I, who hates anything apple, has to give credit where credit is due...
The iPhone is a much better smartphone than any Nokia out there at the moment. It is also better suited to me than a Blackberry, which I guess is more subjective... but is true none the less.
By my own admission... I have not fiddled with any Android phones and frankly, the android phones are priced out of contention when you compare contracts.

Nokia to computer software NEVER worked well... but at least I could still use my phone as a USB storage device which would work with ANY USB READER OR MEDIA DEVICE.

iTunes is RETARDED in the way that it locks you into using NOTHING but iTunes... and it also doesn't do half of what you would like a smartphone to do until you download an independently designed 3rd party application to do something the phone should've been able to do out of the box.
iTunes also feels the need to put what it likes wherever it likes... who cares if you only have 2GB free on your C drive... we'll backup your phone to the most obscure location... not the library directory that you could select... but under the application data folder of the user's "my documents" folder... Thanks!
wtf is "Bonjour" anyway? I don't want no French named process running in the background!!!!! I surely didn't give anything permission to install or run anything called BON friggen JOUR!

I am using an iPhone... but I still maintain my original position: that Apple products are well designed and marketed but are aimed at people who don't use computers for anything other than basic use... I use the metaphor of the difference with auto cars and manual performance cars. In an auto... you turn the key, put your foot down and you're on your way.
In a manual, you have more feeling with the car... you can feather the throttle and clutch and make the car dance if you know what you're doing... you can also stall... but at least the option is there!!!!

I am the opposite of a Apple fan booi... in fact... my favourite past time is showing Apple fan boois how brainwashed they really are!
Just because something is pretty and shiny doesn't mean you have to pay double for it and then it have to deal with inferior user interfaces!

So no... I do not fall in to that category of the Job "Zombie"... yet I do own an iPhone... albeit reluctantly.

EDIT:
OverKill69 hasa point, if you want to be able to reconfigure, recode, redesign and re-engineer your phone, the iPhone is completely the wrong end of the spectrum for you. The iPhone in its standard not jailbroken guise is not for the Uber Geek who wants full control of his phone to manipulate as he sees fit, its for those of us who want to be on the leading edge (not bleeding edge) of technology with a stable and user friendly interface that just works.

Sure i wish i could customise a few more things in my iPhone, but i sure as hell dont miss the lag, hanging and constant restoring after a dowloaded some infected application from an uncontrolled app store that i had with my Windows 6.1 and Android phones. I know that by downloading an app through the app store, it has been tested to not have any malicoius or negative impact on my phone. The confidence is why i have become an Apple fan, Sir Jobs as the Droids call him as realised that their is a market for people who enjoy technology without the pitfalls of a mass open community looking to hamper your overall experience.

Maybe I just want to have a nice song as a ringtone... hell... I even bought that song on the iStore!!!!
or
Maybe I want to plug my phone into the front USB connection in my car... oh wait...
or
Maybe I want to give some pictures (about 215) that I took on a week away to a friend, and maybe even take his (about 400)... oh wait...
or
Maybe I want to carry around some useful software that I like to have on me in case someone I know needs it. Like K-lite, VLC, Firefox and IDM... oh wait...
or
or
or

I don't want to recode anything... I just want a smartphone that works well AND doesn't treat me like a criminal or a child.

Last edited:

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
Bonjour let's me stream media to any device in the house with no configuration over our wifi. Quite nice actually.

undesign

Executive Member
If you can get the iPhone without paying in, do it, but I wouldn't go splashing a ton of cash on it right now.

Bought one yesterday. :)

No point in waiting for iPhone 4S/5/whatever - if you want to go the iPhone route that is.

Acydebyte

"Maybe I just want to have a nice song as a ringtone... hell... I even bought that song on the iStore!!!!
or
Maybe I want to plug my phone into the front USB connection in my car... oh wait...
or
Maybe I want to give some pictures (about 215) that I took on a week away to a friend, and maybe even take his (about 400)... oh wait...
or
Maybe I want to carry around some useful software that I like to have on me in case someone I know needs it. Like K-lite, VLC, Firefox and IDM... oh wait...
or
or
or"

I will give you point 1, it should allow you to set your ringtone as any song in your library, frustrate me as well, but hey i dont change ringtones often so its not a major thing for me.

As for the car, transfering pics and software, thats why i have a mini-flash drive with me on my keyring, has the songs i like, the software i might need and space for some adhoc stuff on it as well. From what i know, you get apps that can allow you to do this as well, not sure if you need to JB though.

If those things are important to you when buying a phone then go Android, its your best bet, i didnt get my phone for those things, thats why i say, you need to decide what you want your phone to do before your buy it, not let other people opinions or needs decide what you need or want...

Last edited:

droplet

Expert Member
Ok, so now that all the Apple Haters have had their say and gotten their morning My Android is better than your Apple of their chest. We can actually post about your question.

All in all its personal choice and whichever you decide, enjoy the technology at your disposal.

nice post. me gets to annoyed by apple, personally. and i have tried to like apple, really i have. i waited for YEARS for the iphone.

back to the thread: don't upgrade now if you think that something you would much prefer is going to be released fairly soon (your interpretation of "fairly soon"). you'll sit around for 18+ months going "why didn't i wait a month or tow?".

phoneJunky

Executive Member
I say go for it. I won't because there are some really specific things that I want that the iphone doesn't give me. But for a normal user it is a great phone.

So what if there are better phones out. Most phones are faster than they need to be currently. Just make sure you will be comfortable with doing everything through itunes, won't need video calling etc. Other than that most normal people won't need anything else.

It is a lovely device and it is really nice and simple to use. iPhone is also a bit of a fashion statement, even though it isn't really the best phone out there anymore people will remember the iPhone and not the phones "better" than it. Not many really needs any of these super fast phones, most do it because of its perceived value. And no other phone is perceived more valuable than an iPhone currently.

Edit: And to add, no other phone is supported like the iPhone - docking stations etc. This might be a big deal for you, so I thought I should just mention it.

Last edited:

droplet

Expert Member
I use the metaphor of the difference with auto cars and manual performance cars. In an auto... you turn the key, put your foot down and you're on your way.
In a manual, you have more feeling with the car... you can feather the throttle and clutch and make the car dance if you know what you're doing... you can also stall... but at least the option is there!!!!

lovely analogy. many people are going to like apple. i think using apple is like being on sedatives :)

OverKill69

iTunes and it's hive mind "We'll do whatever we want with your devices" mentality is the problem.

Apparently iOS5 will not need to be married to iTunes... but I have a funny feeling that will only be on initializing.

Final word from me:
I still think it's retarded I can't share photos that I've taken with my phone by plugging them into someone else's laptop!
I still think it's retarded that I can't use a 16GB phone as a mobile storage device compatible with all flash drive interfaces...
I still think it's retarded that an app called "Battleships" needs to know my location and wants to share it with the Apple hive mind.
I still didn't give permission to install and run Bonjour but iTunes did it anyway... and then moans at me when I disable it.

Fix those problems and I'll stop ranting.

P.S.
Mercurial - after I deal with Steve... I'm coming for YOU!@!!!!

phoneJunky

Executive Member
back to the thread: don't upgrade now if you think that something you would much prefer is going to be released fairly soon (your interpretation of "fairly soon"). you'll sit around for 18+ months going "why didn't i wait a month or tow?".

Not really, then six months later something better comes out again. I am still fine with my SGS after a year and it should probably be fine for 2 years still to come, can't see why the iphone would be any different. My friends with the 3G and 3Gs's are still going strong and it doesn't really seem like they are lacking all that much.