Would the world be a better place if everyone smoked weed?

Sl8er

Executive Member
The stupidity in this is alarming.

Are these 2 people drug addicts? Not? Then why are you speaking about alcoholics and not just the occasional drinker?
Good, so then we agree that people who smoke cannabis aren't drug addicts.

EDIT: And it's physically impossible to become addicted to cannabis...alcohol on the other hand....

saor

Honorary Master
Good, so then we agree that people who smoke cannabis aren't drug addicts.
Those athletes you posted are very unlikely to be ripping bongs from dusk till dawn. Maybe the occasional joint / vaped herb? So the comparison would just be someone who has the occasional drink, which I'm guessing many athletes also do.

And yes - people who occasionally smoke cannabis aren't drug addicts.
Just like someone who has the occasional drink isn't an alcoholic.

EDIT: And it's physically impossible to become addicted to cannabis...alcohol on the other hand....
Not physically, but mentally? Some people get 'addicted' to the headspace of cannabis & end up ripping bongs from dusk till dawn 7 days a week. The fact that it's not physically addictive doesn't mean it can't be problematic.

Last edited:

Sl8er

Executive Member
Those athletes you posted are very unlikely to be ripping bongs from dusk till dawn. Maybe the occasional joint / vaped herb? So the comparison would just be someone who has the occasional drink, which I'm guessing many athletes also do.
We don't know.
Remember Bolt is Jamaican, after all. :D

And yes - people who occasionally smoke cannabis aren't drug addicts.
Just like someone who has the occasional drink isn't an alcoholic.
Anyone who takes one single drink could potentially become an alcoholic.
No one in the history of ever has become physically addicted to cannabis.
(Because, as we know, it's impossible.)

Not physically, but mentally? Some people get 'addicted' to the headspace of cannabis & end up ripping bongs from dusk till dawn 7 days a week. The fact that it's not physically addictive doesn't mean it can't be problematic.
Anyone who gets mentally addicted to cannabis was always going to get mentally addicted to something else...it just happened to be cannabis. It's their headspace, as you mentioned. If they get their headspace right, getting off cannabis is a non-issue.

Alcoholism is physical...so even if someone really wants to, their body is fighting them every step of the way. It's much-much more difficult to quit alcohol if you're an alcoholic.

I keep using alcohol, because next to tobacco it's the most socially acceptable drug.
It also kills many hundreds of thousands of people every year, whereas no one has ever died from a cannabis overdose -again, because it's physically impossible.
Countless people have had their lives ruined by alcohol. Road and other accidents, domestic/family violence, "normal" violence, stupid dangerous behavior, etc.
Anybody who's actually been stoned a few times, usually just wants to chill...take it easy...maybe order a pizza.
They definitely don't want to rip a bong on the roof of the 2nd floor of the house at 3 in the am, then jump off into the pool while playing the latest pop track on volume 11. (My point being that drunk people do really stupid shlt. Really stupid.)

Unless there's something mentally unstable about a person -which has nothing to do with cannabis- people generally want to take it easy.

Getting back to: Would the world be a better place if everyone smoked weed?

All I'll say is have a look at the places that have legalized it. Take Colorado for instance:
Decline in traffic accidents - check
Decline in suicides - check
Decline in violent crime - check
Decline in people being incarcerated for cannabis (less people in prison) - check
More resources available for the cops (or man power) to fight actual crime - check

There are a few more examples, but you get what I'm saying.
On top of that they have millions of dollars more available to fix infrastructure -schools, roads, etc. (Cannabis tax)

So, "yes", Colorado is a better place because "everyone" smokes weed....and so it'll probably work for most of the rest of the world as well :)

Last edited:

aktiv

'No one in the history of ever has become physically addicted to cannabis.

I beg to differ ... I had room mates and friends through the years whom totally depended on it on. First thing in the morning, last before bed time - year in and year out. Everything they did revolved around it - won't go anywhere if there was no chance to indulge in their habbit
Their lives were very much disfunctional on every level. Paranoia and anti social behavior being main traits that led to 3 friends dead in their 40's
So if not an addiction, what do you call it ?
Sorry if I sound sinister, but I am not convinced ...

Lupus

Honorary Master
It would probably be better then alcohol, I'm still trying to figure out why that and cigarettes are legal but cannabis isn't?? Alcohol is destructive, very few people are chilled drunks.

Sl8er

Executive Member
'No one in the history of ever has become physically addicted to cannabis.

I beg to differ ... I had room mates and friends through the years whom totally depended on it on. First thing in the morning, last before bed time - year in and year out. Everything they did revolved around it - won't go anywhere if there was no chance to indulge in their habbit
Their lives were very much disfunctional on every level. Paranoia and anti social behavior being main traits that led to 3 friends dead in their 40's.
Anyone who takes one single drink could potentially become an alcoholic.
No one in the history of ever has become physically addicted to cannabis.

Anyone who gets mentally addicted to cannabis was always going to get mentally addicted to something else...it just happened to be cannabis. It's their headspace, as you mentioned. If they get their headspace right, getting off cannabis is a non-issue.

So if not an addiction, what do you call it ?
I don't think I said "zero addiction" though.
Doesn't matter what you or I think or believe, science says "not physical" :)

Sl8er

Executive Member
Ignoring the Huff Post guy at the end :D :p

[video=youtube;UCggeEoNGCQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCggeEoNGCQ&t=24s[/video]

EDIT:

Harvard: Marijuana Doesn’t Cause Schizophrenia

Good news for people who’ve worried that smoking too much marijuana (cannabis) — especially as a teenager — might lead to some dramatic problems in the future, even schizophrenia.

New research from Harvard Medical School, in a comparison between families with a history of schizophrenia and those without, finds little support for marijuana use as a cause of schizophrenia.
https://psychcentral.com/news/2013/12/10/harvard-marijuana-doesnt-cause-schizophrenia/63148.html

IMO, I wouldn't recommend kids or adolescents to use cannabis though. Anything from say age 22 or so on should be fine.
(Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor or professional...I've only read about it.)

Last edited:

GoB

Expert Member
Note sure... I once took some edibles after previously feeling no effects and couldn't walk straight for 2 days. Or I thought I couldn't walk straight, not sure. I was either moving in slow motion or thinking very fast.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Ignoring the Huff Post guy at the end :D :p

[video=youtube;UCggeEoNGCQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCggeEoNGCQ&t=24s[/video]

EDIT:

Harvard: Marijuana Doesn’t Cause Schizophrenia

https://psychcentral.com/news/2013/12/10/harvard-marijuana-doesnt-cause-schizophrenia/63148.html

IMO, I wouldn't recommend kids or adolescents to use cannabis though. Anything from say age 22 or so on should be fine.
(Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor or professional...I've only read about it.)
I wouldn't recommend anyone ingest anything that impairs their faculties period.