Would the world be a better place if everyone smoked weed?

Sl8er

Executive Member
I wouldn't recommend anyone ingest anything that impairs their faculties period.
Different str(m)okes, different folks :D

The question is, though:

All the evidence -where it's been decriminalized / legalized- thus far, would suggest that it does.
(Again, using Colorado as an example.)

Sl8er

Executive Member
Sure, you keep telling yourself that lol
Like I said, I'm not "telling" anything.

The science says so.
If you disagree, feel free to take it up with them -or prove them wrong by publishing your findings in your own peer reviewed paper.

"lol"
:rolleyes:

Sweevo

Honorary Master
Different str(m)okes, different folks :D

The question is, though:

All the evidence -where it's been decriminalized / legalized- thus far, would suggest that it does.
(Again, using Colorado as an example.)
Don't compare Colorado USA to the rest of the world. Sharing the road with high as f drivers will not improve south Africans lives.

Sweevo

Honorary Master
Like I said, I'm not "telling" anything.

The science says so.
If you disagree, feel free to take it up with them -or prove them wrong by publishing your findings in your own peer reviewed paper.

"lol"
:rolleyes:
Anything pleasurable can be psychologically addictive to most people.

saor

Honorary Master
Sure, you keep telling yourself that lol
If Sally smokes heroin every day, and
Dave smokes cannabis each day,

If you were to ask them to stop smoking after 6 months, Sally would endure physical withdrawals as her system struggles to (physically) cope without the heroin. Dave won't go through such (physical) withdrawals. [MENTION=100628]Sl8er[/MENTION] is just saying there's no physical component to the addiction in the way there is with something like heroin.

Last edited:

Sl8er

Executive Member
Don't compare Colorado USA to the rest of the world. Sharing the road with high as f drivers will not improve south Africans lives.
Well we won't know until it's been decriminalized...so saying it won't isn't accurate or true either.

As mentioned, it has made a difference where it has been.
Time will tell, because it will -at the very least- be decriminalized here.

It's going to happen :)

saor

Honorary Master
I also don't think anyone's suggesting people smoke and drive. I'd be happy for the law to be the same as for drinking - that you can't drive after a few drinks or a joint (assuming they could test for it).

Sl8er

Executive Member
I also don't think anyone's suggesting people smoke and drive. I'd be happy for the law to be the same as for drinking - that you can't drive after a few drinks or a joint (assuming they could test for it).
Yup, definitely.

Sweevo

Honorary Master
Well we won't know until it's been decriminalized...so saying it won't isn't accurate or true either.

As mentioned, it has made a difference where it has been.
Time will tell, because it will -at the very least- be decriminalized here.

It's going to happen :)
I think you just need to apply your mind to the S.A. context to realise it'll be a cockup, especially for the thousands of jobless who don't need another reason to stay at home in an informal settlement have that reason. What's guaranteed for South Africa IMO if legal weed is guaranteed, is a dark future.

We need the opposite of apathy in this country.

LCBXX

Executive Member
I posted this in another thread as well:

You have liquor outlets right next to your grocery store, cigarette counters opposite the checkout isles.
You have wine, whiskey, brandy and beer tastings where the elite of our society congregate to celebrate the craftsmanship.
You have acres of barley and grape farmland with the sole purpose being to produce drinks containing an addictive substance (alcohol), where people go to for fancy day-trips and lunches.
People (responsibly?) consume these at their homes, restaurants, churches and family gatherings where children are.
Colleagues wind down with alcoholic drinks after a day's work, some puff on cigarettes and it is considered a time to bond and reflect.
Advertisers make spectacular commercials that demonstrate joyous diversity where friends of all races bond together over a braai with drinks in hand ready to enjoy the game.

But suggest that you can buy and, responsibly, consume what is essentially the flower of a plant that you can grow yourself in dirt, and people are shocked, appalled, outraged! It is laughable, actually.

Last edited:

Sl8er

Executive Member
I think you just need to apply your mind to the S.A. context to realise it'll be a cockup, especially for the thousands of jobless who don't need another reason to stay at home in an informal settlement have that reason. What's guaranteed for South Africa IMO if legal weed is guaranteed, is a dark future.
Yeah, I hear you...but I don't think it's any more dark (or will be) than it already is.

Sweevo

Honorary Master
I posted this in another thread as well:

You have liquor outlets right next to your grocery store, cigarette counters opposite the checkout isles. You have wine, whiskey, brandy and beer tastings where the elite of our society congregate to celebrate the craftsmanship. You have acres of barley and grape farmland with the sole purpose being to produce drinks containing an addictive substance (alcohol), where people go to for fancy day-trips and lunches. People (responsibly?) consume these at their homes, restaurants, churches and family gatherings where children are. Colleagues wind down with alcoholic drinks after a day's work, some puff on cigarettes and it is considered a time to bond and reflect.

But suggest that you can buy and, responsibly, consume what is essentially the flower of a plant that you can grow yourself in dirt, and people are shocked, appalled, outraged!
Agree on the alcohol score.

LCBXX

Executive Member
I just think it will marginalise the marginalised even further.
I do not understand the context of your statement, other than the fact that people consider those who smoke dagga to be a lesser human because of the negative propaganda that has been spewed over the years. If we use that line of thinking then you could also say that people who do not clothe themselves properly/acceptably are also marginalised.

smkungfu

I see myself as a good example. I do have an addictive personality, I was addicted to gambling since my youth, I had a drinking problem and believe me was heavily addicted to gaming.
All of those addictions had a very negative impact on me, my family and work. Then I discovered weed. What a blessing, it changed my life in such a positive way. I'm a much better person on weed, spend more time with wife and kid, more focused on my goals and just enjoying life more.

I do admit when I don't use it for a couple of days I get these vivid dreams and might be on the grumpy side for a day or two. But yeah, in my life it has more positives than negatives.

Sweevo

Honorary Master
I do not understand the context of your statement, other than the fact that people consider those who smoke dagga to be a lesser human because of the negative propaganda that has been spewed over the years. If we use that line of thinking then you could also say that people who do not clothe themselves properly/acceptably are also marginalised.
I'm not talking about stigma for what people do in their own time, I'm talking about the real problem of unemployed people who need a helping hand to find employment. Apathy breeds more apathy. Giving someone another reason to stay home because it's easier than facing reality is not going to help, that's all I'm saying. Your world is very different from the majority of South Africans.

LCBXX

Executive Member
I'm not talking about stigma for what people do in their own time, I'm talking about the real problem of unemployed people who need a helping hand to find employment. Apathy breeds more apathy. Giving someone another reason to stay home because it's easier than facing reality is not going to help, that's all I'm saying. Your world is very different from the majority of South Africans.
Be fair: that is an anecdotal statement at best.