Would you book a flight on SAA at this stage?

Would you book a flight on SAA at this stage?

• Yes

Votes: 49 8.7%
  • No

Votes: 516 91.3%

• Total voters

Vimalsardar

It all depends. I'm in the travel industry. If a client (usually Government) asks for SAA, this is what they will get. I won't offer it in a hurry unless I know the client and know that they don't like to travel on other airlines (usually this is to do with loyalty points such as Voyager Miles or similar or just brand loyalty). Personally, I won't travel on the airline. Even when I worked for them, I only travelled once.

Vimalsardar

I'm stuck with SA Airlink so not much choice

But when my cousin came to visit from Germany we urged her to fly Lufthansa instead of SAA internationally

SA Airlink is a privately owned airline that uses the SAA branding, flight numbers, shared call centre, ticketing prefix, etc. because it's a franchise agreement. As of June 2020, they are dropping all association with SAA. Currently, their flight numbers start with SA. After June, their flight numbers will start with 4Z.

capetonian

Just returned from a flight to P.E. to attend a funeral. Checked prices at all the airline kiosks... settled on Airlink . No prizes for guessing who the most expensive offering was.... SAA at around 45% more!

SAA is very safe, the SA government will keep it running until they empty all sources of money. Landbank, Development bank, Pension funds, etc.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
SAA will get R9 Billion more in Febraury budget and the SAA begging story will go quiet for another year or so.

JayM

Expert Member
Need to fly to London next month. SAA was suspiciously cheap - R7.8K return including all taxes...

cavedog

Honorary Master
Not anymore. Before yes but now not anymore as it seems flights just gets cancelled left right and centre so don't want to get stuck.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Let's be frank and honest here. If companies like TIC stop covering tickets issued by South African Airways against insolvency, then why should anyone in their right mind buy a ticket weeks into the future. SAA has already started to cancel and withdraw certain routes to cut costs. We have no way of knowing which route will be next.

Crowley

Executive Member
Booking a return flight to Durban today for the end of March. I'm rather going with a airline which should still have planes in the air.

AndyC

Nope, nope, and nope. Company books 40 -60 domestic business flights daily, only using Airlink, Kulula, and FlySafair. Mango and SAA are just too big a risk of implosion. We never used SAA for international because they are always 40% - 60% more expensive than everybody else!

Arex

Even if they weren't in debt I still wouldn't

Had a terrible experience with them involving my ticket being booked incorrectly and them saying i had to pay fees to amend the ticket even though it wasn't an error on my side, so never again.