Would you book a one way ticket to Mars?

Would you book a one way ticket to Mars?

• Yes

Votes: 111 40.1%
  • No

Votes: 166 59.9%

• Total voters

Creag

The Boar's Rock
This thread should be retitled ... who would you buy a ticket for and send to Mars. A one-way ticket is tough. A return promise would be snapped up, methinks.

Ivan Leon

Expert Member

The First 10,000 Days on Mars (Time-lapse)​

The story begins in 2024 when Elon Musk and SpaceX launch 5 cargo ships to Mars. They land at Erebus Montes, paving the way for future humans to land, the construction of Mars Base Alpha, plants to grow, and later for a self sustainable Mars colony.

Brian_G

Executive Member
How many couch potatoes wouldn't even notice any difference for about a week, especially since Covid? Just knock them out for the launch.
As long as there's tv signals and internet... growing latency would be a bit suspicious though ;)

|tera|

Master of Messengers
So there's 65 unstable suicidal people here according to the votes and the time of this post.....

Shame.

chrisc

Executive Member
"Nothing can go wrong"

What about dust and sand obscuring the PV panels?

RoLeLu

Why would I want to be someones guinea pig in an experiment to see what went wrong with the first batch of people who goes to Mars and likely won't survive?

It's kinda like some of the vaccines they're handing out to people now that are giving people health complications.

Cray

Honorary Master
"Nothing can go wrong"

What about dust and sand obscuring the PV panels?
There was great plot line about this in the book of "the Martian" when he was doing his long drive. They didn't have it in the movie..

Corelli

Expert Member
I would love to send some politicians though. They can have my seat/s

eg2505

Honorary Master
I guess that depends on your need for affirmation, personally I dont give a single crap about who remembers me outside of my family and friends.
Also how are you even going to know that people are remembering you in that scenario? you would be dead.
The flipside is that it could end up as a complete write-off and then the people will be remember for dying in vain.
so in your mind, your born, you live, pay taxes, have babies, and then die?
quite a lot of people live exactly that way, stay in their lane, don't aim for more,
okay then, as you were back to the breeding and paying taxes.

guess you never aspired to be famous or remembered like somebody like Columbus or Armstrong.
no issue with that, I mean somebody needs to polish Armstrong's Helmet and strap him into the spacecraft.

Last edited:

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
So I currently have a life with a wife and kids and a job so I wouldn't abandon that all right now.

However if that did all fall apart I would consider doing it and I would also consider it for retirement. Your quality of life in space as an old person would be much higher as gravity is the biggest problem. Actually living on the surface of Mars is another thing though.

I do find the prospect of starting a new colony on Mars an exciting prospect... but its probably a fantasy.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Water would be more precious than gold there. They're not going to let you use any for moonshine. Even piss would probably be distilled for water recovery.
Wouldn't it be simpler to just extract water from the ground?