Votes: 100 41.3%
  • No

Votes: 142 58.7%

• Total voters

Wary GOM

Expert Member
I doubt it
Lithium batteries aren't cheap
I am in the process of getting the capacity to get off the grid using Li batteries for quite a bit less than a Tesla wall. Not a "fraction" of the price of Tesla wall but significantly less. But it is still expensive. I REALLY wanted Tesla, because they sounded so cool!

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Once I pay a bit more of my home loan off I’ll certainly be looking into it as an option as it’s starting to justify itself as “free” for the cost of bolting it onto my home loan for 10 years for about what I pay for power now.

The benefit being that I could run my sitcoms all day winter and summer without blinking.

s0lar

Expert Member
Can’t justify the cost. Have a gas stove for cooking. Fireplace for heating in winter. Backup powerbank for fibre and Wi-Fi and solar LEDs should we be shed in the evening. We don’t watch a lot of TV so no real value to cost proposition.

Nobody Important

Executive Member
Candles? Really? :unsure:
Yup. It is what we used for the longest time. Now we all have rechargeable lanterns, but what happens when you forget to charge it for next time? So the backup will always be the humble candle.

Gas for cooking and heating water. Power-banks for the phones and router.

Like some others, I too would buy a Powerwall if money was no issue. The truth of the matter though is that for most of us, it is not affordable.

P.S. Anyone else also wasting money replacing gate and alarm batteries that are going vrot because of the blackouts? Is there a solution?

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Can’t justify the cost. Have a gas stove for cooking. Fireplace for heating in winter. Backup powerbank for fibre and Wi-Fi and solar LEDs should we be shed in the evening. We don’t watch a lot of TV so no real value to cost proposition.
What's your monthly elec bill?

Nobody Important

Executive Member
Replace batteries with double the Ah.
But they would still go flat after prolonged blackouts. And I have read that lead acid batteries going flat is what kills them, especially gate and alarm batteries. They never fully recharge after going completely flat.

I wonder if I could replace them with lithium batteries, but that would possibly involve changing the charging components of the alarm and gate (or would it?).

Speedster

Honorary Master
But they would still go flat after prolonged blackouts. And I have read that lead acid batteries going flat is what kills them, especially gate and alarm batteries. They never fully recharge after going completely flat.

I wonder if I could replace them with lithium batteries, but that would possibly involve changing the charging components of the alarm and gate (or would it?).
Blue Nova have a little battery they market as a drop in replacement. Opinion on the forum is divided about them though.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Yup. It is what we used for the longest time. Now we all have rechargeable lanterns, but what happens when you forget to charge it for next time? So the backup will always be the humble candle.
I know we used to use candles for light but what happens when you forgot you burnt the last one? Or can't find a match or a lighter? Those events are as likely to happen as forgetting to charge a lantern, many of which stay plugged in 24/7/365.

Nobody Important

Executive Member
I know we used to use candles for light but what happens when you forgot you burnt the last one? Or can't find a match or a lighter? Those events are as likely to happen as forgetting to charge a lantern, many of which stay plugged in 24/7/365.
Yes, valid point. I suppose everybody does it differently. I do not keep my lanterns plugged in permanently, but I do check to make sure we always have a pack of candles.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Nope, would definitely not buy a Powerwall... it is way overpriced for what is actually is.

Would I buy a product that can do a similar job as the Powerwall, hells yes I am still considering it and the associated solar system to go with it.

wingnut771

Honorary Master

I agree, that's what damages batteries, them going flat. That's why I say double the capacity so in effect they won't go flat over the same downtime, but only half flat. It's the cheapest/easiest solution other than going expensive lithium which won't get charged correctly anyway.

Wary GOM

Expert Member
All solar systems are a perfect example of the Sam Vimes Boot theory of socioeconomic unfairness:
“And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”
He chortled in his joy.

OMW - a Terry Pratchett afficianado I se!

Paul Greeff

Given the recent price cut for Tesla Powerwalls in SA would you consider one for your home? Do you think it offers value for money or are there better solutions available?
I love the idea of the powerwall. It looks great and can even be a feature in a home.

However, for what you get it is extremely overpriced. For the price of a powerwall one can install a complete solar system, including a modest solar array and small Lithium Ion battery bank that can ultimately grow to be a complete off grid system.