Would you buy an affordable iPhone?

Schwartz

Expert Member
Hi there guys and girls,

Okay, I am thinking of importing iPhones from the USA to sell here. They will come Jailbroken and Unlocked so you can use any sim card without a hassle. I would primarily bring in iPhone 3GS 16GB and 32GB and the 3G 8GB or 16GB. I will bring in NEW and USED models. New models will be brand new and just opened to Jailbreak and Unlock( can leave sealed per buyers request). Used models will be made sure to be in very good condition with maximum of 2 scratches on back and 0 scratches on screen!

The buyer will not have to worry about exchange rates nor will they have to worry about customs etc.

I am looking at pricing of about:
iPhone 3G
Used:
R4300 - 8GB iPhone 3G Black or White
R4800 - 16GB iPhone 3G Black or White

New:
R5500 - 8GB iPhone 3G Black or White
R6000 - 16GB iPhone 3G Black or White
iPhone 3GS
Used:
R6500 - iPhone 3GS 16GB Black or White
R7500 - iPhone 3GS 32GB Black or White

New:
R7000 - iPhone 3GS 16GB Black or White (apposed to Vodacom R9k)
R8000 - iPhone 3GS 32GB Black or White (apposed to Vodacom R10.5k)
I would obviously be able to load some apps free of charge with buyers permission.

The models will have 7-Day money back guarantee. I cannot make it longer as this is all I will be given.

The phones will only be ordered from the USA once I have received an order and payment. It will take a maximum of 14 business days to get to the buyers hands(much quicker than Vodacom who have 5 month waiting lists).

So the big question: Would you or anybody you know be interested in something like this? A cheaper and quicker way to recieve an iPhone than through vodacom and you end product will be better(because its Jailbroken:D )

If you have any question reply to this thread or just PM me :) And dont be afraid to give input/suggestions.
Thanks for reading

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Standard one year warranty?

BTW - when you start selling them it wont be via the forum, right. There's a perfectly good classifieds section for that. ;)

Last edited:

Schwartz

Expert Member
Standard one year warranty?

BTW - when you start selling them it wont be via the forum, right. There's a perfectly good classifieds section for that. ;)
Ya I know that.. this is for market research.. to see if it would be worth my time and effort.

I will look into the warranty but I know that the iPhone does not carry an international one so it would need to be sent back to the states!

FiestaST

Honorary Master
I think its a good idea,there is an untapped market. Many ppl want an iPhone but due to massive stock shortage & issues with buying online there have no option but to source local 2nd hand units (in its self hard to source) ,that's the reason why the pricing on these phones are so erratic at times.

I however do you feel your provincial RRP for the used 3G model is on the high side.I do think these particular models will make up the bulk sales and if they are priced a notch cheaper you should potential have a winner on your hand.

If you can pull if off and source a few local buyers who are satisfied with your sell (cond of phone,open to all networks etc) word of mouth will be a powerful tool to bring you a steady amount of potential buyers.

my 2c...

simp

I don't think there is enough of a price differential between local units and imported ones to make this a massively successful business venture. I think you are likely to attract only the really desperate who have to have a 3Gs at any cost, especially since the iPhone's warranty is only good in the country it is sold in.

Warranty will likely play a significant role in most potential customers' decision making process, as there are (some) reports of 'exploding' units, and (more) of issues with cases cracking. Whether these 'issues' occur because of abuse or not is besides the point, as most people will consider it.

After speaking to a 2 people I know that are looking to buy, they all said they'd rather wait for Vodacom stock, citing warranty concerns, and concerns about soft unlocking future OS updates.

Good luck though - competition and choice is always to be welcomed.

rorz0r

Executive Member
I agree. At those prices much easier to wait for a new one and using the "contract discount" which you're kinda throwing out the window if you buy somewhere else.