Would you drive 1300km in one go?

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
In a few days from now, I will be taking FirstBornMoose back to varsity in Potch.

We usually drive the 1300km journey over two days, breaking it in Upington where we have a few toots and a meal at a local watering hole.

We leave here around 06H00 and land up in Upington around 12H30 where I lament the fact that there is still plenty of daylight left and could have pushed on.

So on the next trip we made our night stop in Vryburg, a mere three hours from our destination. Vryburg is a dump and I hate staying here. We arrived there around 16H00 and once again I bitch that the sun is still shining and I could have made Potch in one go.

This year FirstBornMoose wants me to do the trip in one go. Everyone I know are all concerned, saying we should do this journey in two stages.

The roads from Alexander Bay to Olifantshoek, are long, boring, straight and one can go at a nice pace......

What would you do?

:unsure:

thehuman

Expert Member
In a few days from now, I will be taking FirstBornMoose back to varsity in Potch.

We usually drive the 1300km journey over two days, breaking it in Upington where we have a few toots and a meal at a local watering hole.

We leave here around 06H00 and land up in Upington around 12H30 where I lament the fact that there is still plenty of daylight left and could have pushed on.

So on the next trip we made our night stop in Vryburg, a mere three hours from our destination. Vryburg is a dump and I hate staying here. We arrived there around 16H00 and once again I bitch that the sun is still shining and I could have made Potch in one go.

This year FirstBornMoose wants me to do the trip in one go. Everyone I know are all concerned, saying we should do this journey in two stages.

The roads from Alexander Bay to Olifantshoek, are long, boring, straight and one can go at a nice pace......

What would you do?

:unsure:
Can she drive ? Then she can give you a break.

UrBaN963

Executive Member
I did a stretch to Beaufort west a couple years ago (900km) easy peasy. It was a slow trip
And we were stopping at some tourist attractions, but I lamented not just pushing through to CT. I was the sole driver as well - if you have a second, it’s a piece of cake if you stay hydrated and fed

EMAM

Executive Member
Stop in Vryburg and take a pic for me of the street named after my late grandfather. He practically ran that town in the early 60's, so the chamber of commerce honoured him by naming a street after him.

I have a pic of it hanging on my wall but would love to go there one day and see it for myself

EMAM

Executive Member
I did a stretch to Beaufort west a couple years ago (900km) easy peasy. It was a slow trip
And we were stopping at some tourist attractions, but I lamented not just pushing through to CT. I was the sole driver as well - if you have a second, it’s a piece of cake if you stay hydrated and fed
Thank god you didn't make it as far as CT - only over 18's allowed here - no babysitters

Mortymoose

Honorary Master

You see this is the problem, it's an easy drive for the first 700km, very few cars, towns, bends in the road and it goes by quickly...... it's just towards the end of the journey, the traffic picks up and then you have about 110km of Potholes between Delerayville and Hartebeesfontein.....

In true Moose spirit, I was gonna pack 12 Beers, a bit of Namibian braaiwood, meat..... so that when I reached my destination I could have a braai and really chill knowing that I have three days in Potch with almost nothing to do.....

Mist4h20

What car is it firstly? I have personally driven from Windhoek early morning and got back to Cape Town about 7pm few smoke breaks in between but wasn't that bad, just have good music and snacks handy :)

UrBaN963

Executive Member
You see this is the problem, it's an easy drive for the first 700km, very few cars, towns, bends in the road and it goes by quickly...... it's just towards the end of the journey, the traffic picks up and then you have about 110km of Potholes between Delerayville and Hartebeesfontein.....

In true Moose spirit, I was gonna pack 12 Beers, a bit of Namibian braaiwood, meat..... so that when I reached my destination I could have a braai and really chill knowing that I have three days in Potch with almost nothing to do.....
I think a missed opportunity to show off some foreign beer with imported firewood at the local roasters would be a faux pas of magnitude.

EMAM

Executive Member
Well I was going to CT proper, not your retirement village. Too slow and boring there.
Oh, you have NO idea what goes on in the burbs .....but, yeah, CT proper would suit you, it is the gay capital of the world and you'd fit right in - gee, @Grant can show you a real good time

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Stop in Vryburg and take a pic for me of the street named after my late grandfather. He practically ran that town in the early 60's, so the chamber of commerce honoured him by naming a street after him.

I have a pic of it hanging on my wall but would love to go there one day and see it for myself

On the return trip I have all the time in the world and might even take a different route home or book into the Augrabies, One man trip so chill time, name of the street I assume it ain't EMAMstraat? ;)

UrBaN963

Executive Member
Oh, you have NO idea what goes on in the burbs .....but, yeah, CT proper would suit you, it is the gay capital of the world and you'd fit right in - gee, @Grant can show you a real good time
Yea CT proper is nice, there’s people born this century and last, good food, wine, beer, jollification.

Not that you’d know of these things, but yes, I’ve heard your bingo evenings are a little wild. Apparently, last week Betty even arrived with open toed shoes

Moosedrool

Expert Member
I used to do JHB to CT and back quite often in one go but last time I decided to sleep over. The last few km is bad and probably not safe.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
I've done Queenstown to Middelburg (MP) both ways before, stopping once each way to fill up and have dinner before proceeding.