Would you drive 1300km in one go?

ponder

Honorary Master
I would not do that in one day. Why not take a slight detour via kimberley instead if vryburg sucks and then a short trip from there onwards?

I would love to see the moose braaing at the groot gat...

1.JPG

3WA

Executive Member
Postmasburg and Kathu are also great overnight spots.

If you don't mind a detour, Mokala National Park near Kimberley. Lovely setting on a river. But you do have to arrive before they close (at sunset, I think).

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Stop in Vryburg and take a pic for me of the street named after my late grandfather. He practically ran that town in the early 60's, so the chamber of commerce honoured him by naming a street after him.

I have a pic of it hanging on my wall but would love to go there one day and see it for myself
There are jewzez in Vryburg? And they run it? Fck....jewgevaar is a real thing it seems. :ROFL::laugh::ROFL::laugh:

Daruk

Honorary Master
I once took the family on holiday to KNP from East London. On the last day we left Sabie at 8am, drove around the park for the day, then left for EL at 4pm via a stop at the Wimpy. Drove right through and arrived home just in time to get into the bath before work at 7:30-8am the next day. Was my first proper outing with the fam. I was younger then.

Cius

Executive Member
With young kids we don't do more than 10 hours in one trip, preferably 8. If I did not have another driver to swap with I don't even do more than 4 hours. When we do distance its generally family road trip and I do 2 hour stints with the wife taking turns of between 1 and 2 hours depending on convenient stops.

Would not recommend anyone done 1300km without break.

EMAM

Honorary Master
There are jewzez in Vryburg? And they run it? Fck....jewgevaar is a real thing it seems. :ROFL::ROFL:
Uuuuuuuggggghhhhhh you!

This was the early 60's, when you were still a little swimmer.

/rbps for anti semitism

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
When I moved to CPT I drove from Kempton Park, right through to Gordon's Bay, in one go. Only stopped for fuel and food and toilet
1551km in one go

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Uuuuuuuggggghhhhhh you!

This was the early 60's, when you were still a little swimmer.

/rbps for anti semitism
How about you organize for me to go onto a Kibbutz with loads of hairy men jewzes to cure me? I of course would have to see pics of them first for approval. :laugh::ROFL:

EMAM

Honorary Master
How about you organize for me to go onto a Kibbutz with loads of hairy men jewzes to cure me? I of course would have to see pics of them first for approval. :ROFL:
You first need to go to the army.........omg, those Israeli men in uniform

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
How about you organize for me to go onto a Kibbutz with loads of hairy men jewzes to cure me? I of course would have to see pics of them first for approval. :laugh::ROFL:
There is a Shul with one of those, down my street 'bud

kolaval

Expert Member
@Mortymoose
After a good night's sleep and armed with an audiobook I can do the stretch from Gauteng to witsand WC in one go.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Did Cape Town to Phalaborwa in one go, was about 1900km. Was 22 at the time, would not try it now, will probably fall asleep!

EMAM

Honorary Master
Of course you do... the give-away was the tattoo studio as discussed in December
Yes but I'm getting closer and closer
There's only one shul out there
And it's actually the one I attend....when I have to go

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
@ Morty....why not rather drive to Windhoek, fly to Joburg, hire a car and go drop her off and then backtrack again? Too expensive?

eg2505

Honorary Master
silly question,

cant one fly? or are you/kids afraid of flying or something daft like that?

distances like that in a car become quite expensive when compared to a flight.
as one has to take a break, toll roads, petrol, ect ect...

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
silly question,

cant one fly? or are you/kids afraid of flying or something daft like that?

distances like that in a car become quite expensive when compared to a flight.
as one has to take a break, toll roads, petrol, ect ect...
I assume the remoteness of his location makes it stupid to drive many hours to the airport instead of just taking her directly.

Sepeng

Expert Member
Personally wouldn't - inevitably on a trip that long there's periods where your concentration takes a big dip; normally nothing will happen during that period but no need to risk it.
Can be cheaper though, saving on the accommodation costs.