Would you drive 1300km in one go?

eg2505

Honorary Master
I assume the remoteness of his location makes it stupid to drive many hours to the airport instead of just taking her directly.
no charter flights? no bush pilots?
Id assume there must be some, or its prohibitively expensive.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
When I moved to CPT I drove from Kempton Park, right through to Gordon's Bay, in one go. Only stopped for fuel and food and toilet
1551km in one go
SO and I have a 1556km trip coming up. I wanted a 3 day trip but he convinced me to settle on 2. I hate long distance drives. Your arse gets sore :oops:

Haterade

I assume the remoteness of his location makes it stupid to drive many hours to the airport instead of just taking her directly.
Judging by the thread title I'm gonna assume he's driving from Oranjemund, which makes Windhoek a 900km drive. For what it's worth, there is an airport in Oranjemund but I don't know how often flights run from there.

How difficult is it to get from ORT to Potch, should one not have access to a car?

Moosedrool

Expert Member
silly question,

cant one fly? or are you/kids afraid of flying or something daft like that?

distances like that in a car become quite expensive when compared to a flight.
as one has to take a break, toll roads, petrol, ect ect...
Limited stuff you can travel with and then you need a rental car if you're going to drive around at your destination.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Chartered flights, what, you want them to take off from the desert sand?

@Mortymoose how far is the nearest airport from you?
I mean bush pilots, in a small plane, or even a general aviation plane, sure its possible.
and yes, those guys land on water or dirt so sand is definitely possible.

I mean many places in Namibia get resupplied from the air, so I sure its possible,
I mean some places are so remote, there are no roads to begin with.

only way in and out, is by plane, its just to far in a car/truck.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
All these suggestions

@Mortymoose why not hire a BlackHawk and get there in style? This has the added benefit of giving you a good angle on some taxis if you witness them misbehaving.

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
I did JHB to CPT once ..never again

stopped few times for fuel and to stretch the legs

took around 16 hours

genetic

Honorary Master
I drive from CPT to JHB in December. Took just under 14hrs, easy trip.

Venomous

Honorary Master
Nope, but she knows how to change the music on the USB.... :unsure: she can drive but has no licence ..
Then leave at 0430 latest.
Stop every few hours for a little longer than you would have otherwise.
Walk around a bit to keep ciculation going well.

Drive again...

Then see where you'll be by 1600. If close to Potch then push on.

Also see if she can do her license sometime soon....

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
In a few days from now, I will be taking FirstBornMoose back to varsity in Potch.

We usually drive the 1300km journey over two days, breaking it in Upington where we have a few toots and a meal at a local watering hole.

We leave here around 06H00 and land up in Upington around 12H30 where I lament the fact that there is still plenty of daylight left and could have pushed on.

So on the next trip we made our night stop in Vryburg, a mere three hours from our destination. Vryburg is a dump and I hate staying here. We arrived there around 16H00 and once again I bitch that the sun is still shining and I could have made Potch in one go.

This year FirstBornMoose wants me to do the trip in one go. Everyone I know are all concerned, saying we should do this journey in two stages.

The roads from Alexander Bay to Olifantshoek, are long, boring, straight and one can go at a nice pace......

What would you do?

:unsure:
I have driven from Johannesburg to Cape Town, in a single go many times. No issue with it. I prefer to drive at night though then it's not so hot in the Karoo and there are less cars / cops on the road.

I only stop at the garage to fill up the car and shake off some excess water.

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
I did the CPT to PTA trip twice in one go but with a second driver.
Would never do it in one go by myself...

geezer

Expert Member
Did Cape Town to Phalaborwa in one go, was about 1900km. Was 22 at the time, would not try it now, will probably fall asleep!
You beat my longest drives! I traveled from Sutherland to Phalaborwa (and vice versa) which is about 1600km. I was 18/19 at the time during my national service 81-83.

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Ok! Thanks for all the advice, almost turned this into a Jewish Friday thread....

Too many to reply to, no time on the journey there for tourist stuff, I lived in Kimberley for a year back in my disturbing twenties and have returned on a number of occasions just to get depressed as each return trip, the city became more degraded.

I cannot leave earlier than 06H00 as the border here only opens at 06H15, so I have a fixed start time.

The FirstBornMoose insists we go in a single day, citing that I did the return journey two years ago in 12 hours and that was driving an old 2002 Mazda bakkie.

There are no direct flights from Oranjemund to CPT of JHB as all flights from here are domestic and rerouted via WHK. On some occasions we have paid R400 and put FirstBornMoose on a taxi to Lanseria and I fetch her in CPT, 800km away, usually when I am fetching her sister from Boarding school.

I have spoken to 12 people about this, 10 say two days, 2 say it can be done easily....

So..... I shall be trying it in one day, 12 hours, if I get tired and need to overnight, then we shall be adventurous and book in some distant place...

Bon Voyage and thanks!

Cius

Executive Member
In that case my advice is the rule is firstborn moose has to be awake and talking, especially if you are feeling tired. Having a conversation wakes one up nicely so regardless of boredom/fatigue at least the co-pilot can keep you awake but regaling you with tales of varsity life in Potch or something.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
In that case my advice is the rule is firstborn moose has to be awake and talking, especially if you are feeling tired. Having a conversation wakes one up nicely so regardless of boredom/fatigue at least the co-pilot can keep you awake but regaling you with tales of varsity life in Potch or something.
I’m not sure his daughter regaling him with stories of the debaucherous life of a college student are what he needs when he’s driving

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I'
I concur, passenger should not be snoozing.