Would you drive 1300km in one go?

Nicholas Lisse

In a few days from now, I will be taking FirstBornMoose back to varsity in Potch.

We usually drive the 1300km journey over two days, breaking it in Upington where we have a few toots and a meal at a local watering hole.

We leave here around 06H00 and land up in Upington around 12H30 where I lament the fact that there is still plenty of daylight left and could have pushed on.

So on the next trip we made our night stop in Vryburg, a mere three hours from our destination. Vryburg is a dump and I hate staying here. We arrived there around 16H00 and once again I bitch that the sun is still shining and I could have made Potch in one go.

This year FirstBornMoose wants me to do the trip in one go. Everyone I know are all concerned, saying we should do this journey in two stages.

The roads from Alexander Bay to Olifantshoek, are long, boring, straight and one can go at a nice pace......

What would you do?

:unsure:
Did the 1500km from Windhoek to Cape Town in one go often, 1300 is a leisurely 14 hour drive.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Definitely not.

I've done 700km on a bike before (which is very easy since nothing really stops you) and even that is unnecessary.

Save yourself and just sleep over at least one night, or even more than one night so you don't need to rush anywhere and do it at an easy pace.

Antics like these are why we have so many road deaths.

Sadly there isn't much of anything of a better stopping point to be had. Why are you accompanying the man? Isn't he grown up enough to go by himself and without a car?

Polymathic

Honorary Master
1300km roughly equates to 12 hours of driving. Giving myself two half and hour breaks along the way. Comfortablely doable. Leave at 5am and arrive around 7pm that day.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I'vee done 1200 numerous times. It used to be “easy” but the last two trips reminded me I’m not in my 20s anymore. Whether age really has anything to do with it I dunno but I'm certainly over it. Take an extra day and sleep over somewhere.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I didn't even know long road trips were still a thing. Flying has become affordable now.
This (if you are close to airport of course). Regular flights are cheaper over that distance until you're about three passengers (rental cars exclusive.). Still, the extra $$$ is bloody worth it.

chefdude98

This (if you are close to airport of course). Regular flights are cheaper over that distance until you're about three passengers (rental cars exclusive.). Still, the extra $$$ is bloody worth it.
I paid R399 for a flight between O R Tambo and CPT on Safair.

The long distance driving thing isn't for me.

I have no clue how much toll roads & accommodation is. I'm sure it will make the flying option more attractive

unobeat

I am yet to do a drive like PTA to Cape Town, but i know for sure that i would not like to put my body through that much strain of doing the trip one way.

I love driving on an open road, but for a drive like that. I would rather drive 800km, sleep over at a bed & breakfast then continue my journey the next day.

Last edited:

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Piece of Piss, took me 11 hours, left the border at 06h30, rolled into Potch 17h30.... With the last 73km in the thunder, rain and lightning...

Shall try a different route home in two days from now..