Would you drive 1300km in one go?

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Magersfontein, on Wednesday when I leave Potch, I think I might go on a one man road trip and head South to see Magersfontein, then have an afternoon drive west for three hours and see where I rock up!

I will try and cover 700km on Wednesday and the other 700km home on Thursday.... Yep! Will post snaps of the barrem Northern Cape vlaktes....

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Back home in Nam, distance travelled since sunday, 3400km......

The drive there was easy, and very doable in the future.

Drive back, I went on a one man road trip to Magersfontein to see the Scottish Monument, well worth the detour....Kimberley still looks like a dump.....

Drake2007

Expert Member
In a few days from now, I will be taking FirstBornMoose back to varsity in Potch.

We usually drive the 1300km journey over two days, breaking it in Upington where we have a few toots and a meal at a local watering hole.

We leave here around 06H00 and land up in Upington around 12H30 where I lament the fact that there is still plenty of daylight left and could have pushed on.

So on the next trip we made our night stop in Vryburg, a mere three hours from our destination. Vryburg is a dump and I hate staying here. We arrived there around 16H00 and once again I bitch that the sun is still shining and I could have made Potch in one go.

This year FirstBornMoose wants me to do the trip in one go. Everyone I know are all concerned, saying we should do this journey in two stages.

The roads from Alexander Bay to Olifantshoek, are long, boring, straight and one can go at a nice pace......

What would you do?

:unsure:
Fly

eXisor

To my shame, I've done CT to JHB, JHB to CT, 1600km, all in one go several times. I stopped for an hour every three or four hours after the first 4 or 5 hour burst. This was many, many years ago, back in the day when there were still insects one had to wash off the windscreen.
I remember half-nodding off at the wheel on the longer stretches, sometimes waking when the wind from an oncoming car rushing by, jerking the Beetle to the right and into the vacuum.
Looking back on it now, I'm not sure how the Bug and I made it, but needs must when you're stationed at 1 Mil and have a 4-day pass to CT.

Last edited:

Method

Executive Member
Drove from Pretoria to Cape Town CBD (1460km) in one go last year. Never again. I'd rather fly.

stroller

To me it is not so much the distance one covers but more of how much time one spends behind the wheel, driving.
There is no way that I'll even consider driving long distances at max. 100km/h if I can cruise at 130km/h. plus.
Think back to the days when the speed limit was 80km/h and road users generally stuck to it. A drive from Cape Town to Joburg was a real endurance test.

Also, the route is very much a factor.
I would travel from Cape Town to Joburg instead of driving from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth and back in the same day.

swakop_toe

When we still had the house in Swakopmund, annually , for Christmas and December leave I'd drive the 2,000km from Jo'burg to Swakopmund via Botswana.
Did that trip 13-15 times. Always in one push.
Leave at 3am, arrive at 8-10pm.

No sightseeing, splash and dash, couple of slabs of chocolate and 4liters of water.

Loved it.