Would you rather have an expensive laptop or an expensive smartphone?

Would you rather have an expensive laptop or an expensive smartphone?

• Laptop

Votes: 73 89.0%
  • Smartphone

Votes: 9 11.0%

• Total voters
Laptop , but ‘expensive’ is subjective.
Would be interesting to know how meaningful the poll result is.
  • Could Windows 10 Pro be made to run natively on all high-end Android phones?
  • Could macOS High Sierra be made to run on the iPhone X?
  • Could an Android phone turn into a Chromebook in desktop mode and also run the Android apps on the phone in desktop mode?
Google says they could but Microsoft doesn’t want you running Windows on an Android phone. Apple doesn’t want you replacing your MacBook with an iPhone — they want you to buy both.

redarrow

Expert Member
Laptop..

A R20k laptop vs a R2k laptop makes a way bigger difference than a R20k phone vs a R2k phone when you consider the things you'll mostly do with either device (well this is true for me anyway).

Also, I tend to take my phone with me everywhere, therefore it's more liable to get damaged or be stolen so if I'm paying for it I rather save on the phone and spend more on the laptop.

• Could an Android phone turn into a Chromebook in desktop mode and also run the Android apps on the phone in desktop mode?
A few years ago Asus did a phone which could slot into a tablet-sized screen and keyboard dock to become an effective Android netbook. Padfone i think it was called. It was a seriously cool idea but the electronics weren't powerful enough back then to be capable as a laptop.

With the Snapdragon 845 or 850 that could change though.