WOW News24

mogwaai

I use Brave web browser. By default it blocks Ads, Trackers, Scripts etc. It’s a pay-to-surf browser I pre-load and able to browse a lot of sites Ad-Free. If the web-sites are Brave payment enabled they get their share depending on the time spent on the site. I think it’s a brilliant. It’s a win-win for both publisher and readers. Now only if News24 and the others could enable this they will get paid according to the amount of reads on their sites without subscribing to each and every one. I never remove the blockers and Until then I only use the news sites enabled for this

Juice

Expert Member
Are they saying they make money by being able to SHOW me ads, whether I actually LOOK at them or not? Is it just me, or does this seem a little pointless.

SilverCode

What’s the problem? Journalists need to eat too.
I wouldn't call what News24 vomits up "journalism". I pay for a subscription to The Daily Maverick because they have well written articles that aren't just a copy paste of someones tweets. R49 per month for 6 sentences, 3 of which are rehashed from another article 5 min earlier on the save subject? No thanks.

Swa

Honorary Master
I wouldn't call what News24 vomits up "journalism". I pay for a subscription to The Daily Maverick because they have well written articles that aren't just a copy paste of someones tweets. R49 per month for 6 sentences, 3 of which are rehashed from another article 5 min earlier on the save subject? No thanks.
Well can't find anything wrong in that. I would want to feed her too. :love:

3WA

Expert Member
Mara, do you think the writers who do opinion pieces for Daily Maverick don’t rely on News24? They're not fulltime employees, they don't attend every event or incident they write about. Daily Maverick often carries opinion pieces which rely on other news outlets to break the story. DM writers mostly have other jobs. News24 has to have field reporters all over the place. Slightly different expense model.

Swa

Honorary Master
Mara, do you think the writers who do opinion pieces for Daily Maverick don’t rely on News24? They're not fulltime employees, they don't attend every event or incident they write about. Daily Maverick often carries opinion pieces which rely on other news outlets to break the story. DM writers mostly have other jobs. News24 has to have field reporters all over the place. Slightly different expense model.
Everyone reuses opinion pieces. DM has probably put out more investigative journalism than any other outlet.

Anakha56

In Nano Blocker I just disabled Javascript and now I don't have a problem. I detest ads that flash at me, autoplay videos and government run ads that remind me how much of my tax payer money is being wasted.

MoHaG

Tip to news sites: I might consider unblocking you site if the counters don't look like this:
1537428837773.png
(And the Privacy Badger one is lower than it should be due to uBlock Origin blocking most of the trackers before it can detect them)

Use non-tracking ads (and no trackers (like FB like/share buttons) from one or two sources and I might consider disabling my adblocker on your site.

3WA

Expert Member
I don't care. If N24's field reporting is any indication of the standard I don't want to see it.
If you don't care whether the things you read and write are technically accurate or not, why do you even have a problem with News24 in the first place?

3WA

Expert Member
Why are you so outraged?
I'm not really. I don't feel strongly about this issue. But I put forth a position in this thread and now I'm going to defend it until a sensible counter-argument emerges.

By the way, I have no idea how many field reporters News24 employs, and whether it's more or less than DM. But no-one's called me on that yet.