Writer, family robbed in Northcliff

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Writer and journalist Gus Silber and his family were attacked and robbed by an armed gang at their Northcliff home at the weekend, it was reported on Tuesday.

The robbers ambushed Silber, 56, at his home in Acacia Street on Saturday, Beeld reported.

"My eldest daughter [Sarah-Jane, 19] and I stopped in the driveway at about 6.30pm and one of them walked up to us pointing a weapon," he was quoted as telling the newspaper.

"It's a very strange, surreal feeling when someone points a gun at you, but it was only when I saw the second guy, who had a sawn-off shotgun, that I realised we were dealing with a very intense situation."

The criminals then confronted Silber's wife, Amanda, 54, and their daughter Rachael, 13, in the house, and tied them up before ransacking the premises.

They tied up Silber with a scarf, ignored his pleas to not take his computer, which contained a lot of work-related files, and covered the family with a duvet before leaving in the family car with computers, iPads, cellphones and the safe.

"When they covered us with the duvet I thought it was the end and that they were going to shoot us, but they left without a word," Amanda Silber told Beeld.

Source : Sapa /pk/fg/clh
Date : 14 May 2013 07:42

maumau

Honorary Master
We live not far from northcliff. Tuesday last week our next door neighbours' house was ransacked, wednesday robbers attempted a break in at the house directly opposite them but the maid alerted the security company and the crooks escaped. Thursday the house 2 houses away was targeted. Three houses in three days!!!!!

This is usually a relatively safe neighbourhood.

intel8080

Banned
Hey, this is South Africa 2012! Wake up. There is NO such thing as "safe neighbourhood"! Fortunately no one got killed this time around. Sadly, others are not so fortunate.

STS

Mafia Detective
Hey, this is South Africa 2012! Wake up. There is NO such thing as "safe neighbourhood"! Fortunately no one got killed this time around. Sadly, others are not so fortunate.

/facepalms
*looks at you*
/facepalms

marine1

Honorary Master
Dropbox or Google Drive FTW!!
But yeah what do people expect? There are no safe places to live

Wasabee!

Executive Member
and here in Cape Town (not mentioning where lol) we live with no security gate and only burgular bars on the opening windows. People can come to the bedroom windows and break it. Body Corporate doesn't want to put up a gate.

Grant

Honorary Master
and here in Cape Town (not mentioning where lol) we live with no security gate and only burgular bars on the opening windows. People can come to the bedroom windows and break it. Body Corporate doesn't want to put up a gate.

Sounds like you need to have a special meeting to elect new trustees and get a gate. When people come in knocking at windows for stuff, send them to the trustees homes

Hosehead

Executive Member
Poor Gus; Probably had several projects on the go in that computer. What a waste. I wouldn't be surprised if that family packs for Perth after that ordeal.