Wrong Number Connects Drug Seller With Police

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://www.tylerpaper.com/article/20100804/NEWS08/100809967

It turned out to be the wrong number the 51-year-old Lindale woman was texting looking for a buyer for her marijuana.

Instead of making a drug deal, she was arrested by the Smith County Sheriff’s undercover narcotics team, who she unknowingly had been texting.

Debra Langham was arrested Tuesday and charged with felony possession of marijuana after she set up a deal to meet ‘the buyer” at a location on West Gentry Parkway.

Lt. Tony Dana said Ms. Langham began texting an employee of the sheriff’s office a couple of weeks ago about a possible marijuana buy.

“At the time our narcotics team was really busy and we just couldn’t get to it, but she started texting again Monday and the officers got involved and played along with the texts,” he said.

Dana said Ms. Langham told the deputies what kind of vehicle she would be driving and where to meet her and at what time.

“The narcotics officers sat in a position where they could see her if she did show up and when she did they waited until she left the parking lot to have a marked unit conduct a traffic stop,” he said.

What deputies found inside the car was half a pound of marijuana, valued at $400.

Dana said Ms. Langham was charged and taken to the Smith County Jail where she was later released on a $5,000 bond.

“This all happened because apparently she put in the wrong number to text when this all began several weeks ago,” he said.
Poetic Justice :D

Ninja'd

A Djinn
That's why she wanted weed. To clear her cataracts so she wont make the same mistake.

Gargmel

It should have been legal, come on, locking up an old lady for some weed?

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
What a crime, locking up someone who is not hurting anyone. That is a travesty of justice.

The act of putting her in jail costs us and her more than the act of letting her being her harmless self.

WilD_CaT

Expert Member
What a crime, locking up someone who is not hurting anyone. That is a travesty of justice.

The act of putting her in jail costs us and her more than the act of letting her being her harmless self.
Agreed!

Keeper

Honorary Master
all this for setting a plant on fire, and inhaling the smoke?

Since when did our bodies become property of the state?

Palimino

Expert Member

This may well be testing precedents through the courts. She is probably a housewife trying to make extra bux during the financial crisis. Hence her naivety. In 5 years time the status of marijuana could be much different. America (specifically California) is making justifying noises to counteract the years of anti-drug dogma. It may be [in California], at least decriminalised, in the near future. The whole (well 65%) of the economy of California depends on it. It is already semi-legal, mainly contradictions between state and federal law (the state is tolerant [California] while the fed (America) is intolerant). There are even academies and universities in California (which pay taxes – the fed benefitting from an ‘illegal’ enterprise) on pot growing. Housewives do it – especially with the credit crunch. How else can they make a buck. It is a **very** sophisticated enterprise (formalised) – much more so than clandestine activities. Most of the tragedy surrounding it is **because** it is illegal. As well as non-smoking products, the quality would be excellent if the regular tobacco companies got involved. Look-out for a pack of ‘Acapulco Gold’ on your corner shop’s shelf. “Hash or home grown, sir?”

I saw this on TV – CNBC and it’s called ‘Marijuana inc.’ No link that I know of (I suppose on their site).

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
This may well be testing precedents through the courts. She is probably a housewife trying to make extra bux during the financial crisis. Hence her naivety. In 5 years time the status of marijuana could be much different. America (specifically California) is making justifying noises to counteract the years of anti-drug dogma. It may be [in California], at least decriminalised, in the near future. The whole (well 65%) of the economy of California depends on it. It is already semi-legal, mainly contradictions between state and federal law (the state is tolerant [California] while the fed (America) is intolerant). There are even academies and universities in California (which pay taxes – the fed benefitting from an ‘illegal’ enterprise) on pot growing. Housewives do it – especially with the credit crunch. How else can they make a buck. It is a **very** sophisticated enterprise (formalised) – much more so than clandestine activities. Most of the tragedy surrounding it is **because** it is illegal. As well as non-smoking products, the quality would be excellent if the regular tobacco companies got involved. Look-out for a pack of ‘Acapulco Gold’ on your corner shop’s shelf. “Hash or home grown, sir?”

I saw this on TV – CNBC and it’s called ‘Marijuana inc.’ No link that I know of (I suppose on their site).
I watched that as well. Interesting stuff.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
She wasn't just using... she was selling. There are laws already in place for the medical use of Marijuana. She chose to bypass those laws.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
Totally absurd, in a country where cannabis is likely to be legalized in the near future in at least one state.

What a total and absolute ****ing waste of money.

*edit*

I see Lindale is in Texas, no wonder.

Last edited:

Gargmel

She wasn't just using... she was selling. There are laws already in place for the medical use of Marijuana. She chose to bypass those laws.

So we should still follow all the old, stupid, useless laws that was never removed from the law books
for example:
It is illegal to wear a fake moustache that causes laughter in church (Alabama)
It is illegal to mispronounce Arkansas while in Arkansas (Arkansas)
It is illegal for a woman wearing a red dress to be out on the streets after 7 p.m. (Colorado)
In Hawaii you will be fined if you do not own a boat.

How about this one...

A city ordinance states that a $500 fine will be given to anyone who detonates a nuclear device within city limits. (California)

Marijuana prohibition is an old and outdated law that should be removed or at the least put in the same class as alcohol or cigarettes.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
wow... I never knew there were so many druggies on this forum! :D

WilD_CaT

Expert Member

mmmm...ever heard of Rosa Parks?

Happy Camper

Expert Member
How so? Marijuana is a drug. People who use drug are often colloquially referred to as "Druggies". Do you have a problem with following that line of thinking?
Its the stigma attached to it that sucks, I do experiment now and then with mind altering substances but I would not consider myself a 'druggie'! :)