WTF is happening on N1 cape town inbound? 2&3 Feb -Two hours from Bellville to M5

jxharding

Expert Member
I know on Monday 2 Feb there was an accident on Lower Main and Church - and a pedestrian was also struck,
but this is in Cape Town city bowl and up until past N1 city - everything was messed up beyond.

Today 3 Feb the same - but no reports of any accident - reports of traffic lights out but should it mess up the whole traffic scene into the city? No updates on the digital sign boards too.

It has never been this bad.

Is Cape Town really geared to handle traffic accidents?

piranha786

Expert Member
I know it was messed up. Roadworks signage, but no actual roadworks around 8:30 this morning

irBosOtter

Expert Member
I know it was messed up. Roadworks signage, but no actual roadworks around 8:30 this morning
Ja they only start the road works after the rush in the mornings, they don't close lanes during rush hour.
Even leaving at 06:00 now takes 50 minutes to get to town from the 30 minutes max it used to be.

Tinuva

The Magician
N1 into town was super bad past 2 days. Google now told me to avoid it like a plague...which I did gladly. It doesn't make my trip to work shorter, but at least it isnt as long as 1-2 hours.

THE_CHOSEN_1

I know on Monday 2 Feb there was an accident on Lower Main and Church - and a pedestrian was also struck,
but this is in Cape Town city bowl and up until past N1 city - everything was messed up beyond.

Today 3 Feb the same - but no reports of any accident - reports of traffic lights out but should it mess up the whole traffic scene into the city? No updates on the digital sign boards too.

It has never been this bad.

Is Cape Town really geared to handle traffic accidents?

It was terrible. Took me about 2.5 hours to get from Brackenfell to Obs yesterday. I hope it does not stay like this. The drive is normally 30 mins in traffic.

jxharding

Expert Member
I hope it goes better today, its never been this hectic for 2 days in a row in the 5 years that Ive been driving on the N1.

Hope this is not the new norm - that will be messed up

Paul_S

Expert Member
I hope it goes better today, its never been this hectic for 2 days in a row in the 5 years that Ive been driving on the N1.

Hope this is not the new norm - that will be messed up

Now all that you guys need is e-tolling in the name of "shorter travelling times" and you'll be enjoying the same brilliant road infrastructure us Gautengers have.

jxharding

Expert Member
Now all that you guys need is e-tolling in the name of "shorter travelling times" and you'll be enjoying the same brilliant road infrastructure us Gautengers have.

sjo lets hope not.
i took the R300 this morning (and luckily wasn't hit by a brick) - but heard the N1 was backed up to Durban road again

anyone travel it this morning?

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
sjo lets hope not.
i took the R300 this morning (and luckily wasn't hit by a brick) - but heard the N1 was backed up to Durban road again

anyone travel it this morning?

It was better today ,I drive on the opposite side to durban road. The cars was moving at least.
Previous 2 days the cars was just standing still.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
I left at 05:45 this morning, took me 30 minutes to get to town (Get on at Durban Road) Did stand still twice on the N1, but only for a few seconds, and then average speed was probably no more than 70 kmph

Tinuva

The Magician
I took the N1 around 8:45am which is my usual time if things look fine, and it was the fastest moving it was thus far this week. Took me around 30minutes to get to work, arrived here +- 9:15am

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Schucks, sounds rough... good luck. Makes me feel very happy about doing everything in my power to avoid working in Cape Town.

piranha786

Expert Member
This morning I drove from Stellies via Lansdowne - (N2 > R300 > Vanguard > M5 > N1 ) and guess what ... it was quicker