WTF is wrong with Google?

skeptic_SA

Executive Member
So I specify results for South Africa and keep getting international results. What am I doing wrong? Or do these companies hosts allow them to circumvent the local listing criteria. I want SA based sites and not international ones. Whats the point of Google allowing you to specify - if that specification means squat??

Advise?

View attachment 346025

Beachless

Executive Member
Add ":za" to your search without the quotes. This and the forum search have been mangled.

Praemon

Expert Member
So I specify results for South Africa and keep getting international results. What am I doing wrong? Or do these companies hosts allow them to circumvent the local listing criteria. I want SA based sites and not international ones. Whats the point of Google allowing you to specify - if that specification means squat??

Advise?

View attachment 346025

Also get this. So annoying, especially when I'm searching for something to buy and all the first page results are for international retailers that specifically don't sell to SA. You should report the results whenever this happens using the "Send Feedback" option, though it seems like they have no intention of fixing this.

Add ":za" to your search without the quotes. This and the forum search have been mangled.

This helps somewhat, except there's quite a few SA sites that have .com domains which you are excluding.

schuits

Expert Member
I just add the words 'south africa' to my search when looking for local stuff.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Post a link of that water tank that you want.
I am in the market for 1 as well.

element1

Google's search engine changed it's algorithm many months ago and since then the Country Selection has not been as effective.

I use the same solution as Beachless nowadays..

mister

Executive Member

it should be "site:.za"

or put your search query into quotes using the south africa option.

Last edited:

skeptic_SA

Executive Member
Thanks, are you looking for plastic specifically, or the fibre glass/cement looking one?
Been looking for prices on other sites but can't get a price unless I go in.

Im specifically looking for galv units.

Moklet Kcuf

Local Google Search - not giving local search results!

Has anyone else noticed that increasingly when doing a local Google search specifying results only from South Africa that it doesn't come back with any .co.za addresses? In my case, it's usually when searching for product items that are not readily available here.

Try locally searching for - Nord Lead 4 (a music keyboard) - to see what I mean.

Am I missing something? Is it Google that's failing or are foreign website's getting around the filter somehow with their SEO?