WTF was I thinking :(

wizardofid

Expert Member
First mtn contract in 15 years.What was I thinking :D

So was looking what MTN shop had on offer, they had a nice little 10inch tablet on mychoice500 for R59.00 a month, and decided it would be perfect for my mom to do the whole facebook, whatsapp and email thing ( I take the sim she can have the device), worked out that the 24 months is basically what it would cost new, and I get data every month loaded on a existing sim I have which basically is free(Or so I thought), I can switch to afrihost APN and not worry my self with having to constantly load airtime on the data sim to keep it active.

Sent in the details for the application they phone me, day or two later, do the whole pre-vetting thing, pass with flying colors of course considering I really haven't had any credit bar my telkom line the past 11 years so that surprised me a bit as I shouldn't have had a not worthy credit record.Basically done every thing cash, no credit card, store card, nothing.First time I am doing a contract in 15 years as well.

Sent in the docs about an hour later 11:00ish, 4pm this afternoon I get an sms it's approved, and the sim sms comes through that prorata data has been allocated.

What grinds me a bit which I have already taken up with them which will be futile I guess, I asked the call center agent, whether or not , there will be a connection fee and delivery fee, point blank mentioned there is NO connection or any other fees other then the monthly subscription.Lo and behold they charged a connection fee as well as a R3.52 promo fee, on the provisional invoice.

Asked about the fees because, it makes it less worth it, I was planning on paying the full 24 month contract fee into their account R1416.00 or a year in advance and then that would be it, have a data sim on MTN contract on a afrihost APN.Considering it's a topup contract there is no issues with unexpected bills or additional OOB spend limits having to worry about as far as I am aware.( I was wrong there is a spend limit of R675.00 currently set at R10.00.

It's R93 odd rands, which isn't a biggie, just the idea of it all, I don't let sleeping dogs lie, so will fight them for it, they do record all calls.....:(

Bar not having to worry if my sim gets deactivated in 90 days which to be honest is PITA, mom getting a new tablet, monthly data allocated is droplet in a bucket don't care much for that, WTF was I thinking.......:(

Last edited:

isie

Executive Member
So was looking what MTN shop had on offer, they had a nice little 10inch tablet on mychoice500 for R59.00 a month, and decided it would be perfect for my mom to do the whole facebook, whatsapp and email thing ( I take the sim she can have the device), worked out that the 24 months is basically what it would cost new, and I get data every month loaded on a existing sim I have which basically is free(Or so I thought), I can switch to afrihost APN and not worry my self with having to constantly load airtime on the data sim to keep it active.

Sent in the details for the application they phone me, day or two later, do the whole pre-vetting thing, pass with flying colors of course considering I really haven't had any credit bar my telkom line the past 11 years so that surprised me a bit as I shouldn't have had a not worthy credit record.Basically done every thing cash, no credit card, store card, nothing.First time I am doing a contract in 15 years as well.

Sent in the docs about an hour later 11:00ish, 4pm this afternoon I get an sms it's approved, and the sim sms comes through that prorata data has been allocated.

What grinds me a bit which I have already taken up with them which will be futile I guess, I asked the call center agent, whether or not , there will be a connection fee and delivery fee, point blank mentioned there is NO connection or any other fees other then the monthly subscription.Lo and behold they charged a connection fee as well as a R3.52 promo fee, on the provisional invoice.

Asked about the fees because, it makes it less worth it, I was playing on paying the full 24 month contract fee into their account R1416.00 or a year in advance and then that would be it, have a data sim on MTN contract on a afrihost APN.Considering it's a topup contract there is no issues with unexpected bills or additional OOB spend limits having to worry about as far as I am aware.

It's R93 odd rands, which isn't a biggie, just the idea of it all, I don't let sleeping dogs lie, so will fight them for it, they do record all calls.....:(

Bar not having to worry if my sim gets deactivated in 90 days which to be honest is PITA, mom getting a new tablet, monthly data allocated is droplet in a bucket don't care much for that, WTF was I thinking.......:(
Maybe I'm misunderstanding , but the promo fee should be included in the R59 - do you have a link to the deal?

wizardofid

Expert Member
Maybe I'm misunderstanding , but the promo fee should be included in the R59 - do you have a link to the deal?
looks like the promo charge is for the device, none the less not the end of the world, still annoyed with regards to the connection fee.

PMbKJso.jpg

wizardofid

Expert Member
ahh ok , yes it is annoying , and asking them for the recorded calls is like pulling hens teeth
Ah well I did sent them a polite tweet to get it sorted. ;) If not I will keep on nagging them. Billing aside, I am pretty impressed with how smooth the whole process was, the turn around was also pretty impressive.Thankfully I wasn't dumb enough to use my main afrihost package for this deal.I don't think I will be adding any monthly bolt on data.

I use my main prepaid sim on both afrihost and mtn apn alot especially with night express data, so there is no risk of OOB there. This contract sim is in my tablet and basically have 1gig afrihost data and with the 500mb I get from MTN it's more then enough to deal with email and such, besides I never keep my connection active only when needed. My phone has a 3rd afrihost sim for whatsapp and facebook messenger with another 500mb data, also don't keep data connection active on that.

Besides I am too damn scared to set any sort of limit or using the contract sim in the phone :D Got burned once with afrihost OOB for R400 odd last year has some emergency work to do and never turned off the OOB, was R800.00 in total for the month nearly peed my self.

isie

Executive Member
Ah well I did sent them a polite tweet to get it sorted. ;) If not I will keep on nagging them. Billing aside, I am pretty impressed with how smooth the whole process was, the turn around was also pretty impressive.Thankfully I wasn't dumb enough to use my main afrihost package for this deal.I don't think I will be adding any monthly bolt on data.

I use my main prepaid sim on both afrihost and mtn apn alot especially with night express data, so there is no risk of OOB there. This contract sim is in my tablet and basically have 1gig afrihost data and with the 500mb I get from MTN it's more then enough to deal with email and such, besides I never keep my connection active only when needed. My phone has a 3rd afrihost sim for whatsapp and facebook messenger with another 500mb data, also don't keep data connection active on that.

Besides I am too damn scared to set any sort of limit or using the contract sim in the phone :D Got burned once with afrihost OOB for R400 odd last year has some emergency work to do and never turned off the OOB, was R800.00 in total for the month nearly peed my self.
just checking your bill it might not be a top up , but i have to hand it to mtn you can set your bill limit for them on the mtn APP, I inadvertently tested it , had it set to R1 changed phones and left the wifi off but had auto updates on = it went through all the data and stopped and didn't go into OOB just stopped after it used R1 and sent an sms to say you using OOB. SMS was too late but R1 was better then the alternative.
Oh not sure if true but call centre agent said setting to 0 means unlimited so set to R1 to be safe

wizardofid

Expert Member
Thanks will do. ;) This is what it currently looks like, they already deducted the R11.00 and the R48.00 for the prorata data and full data, however they only allocated the prorate data, which is some thing stupid like 133mb considering the activation date don't know how they worked that out as the debit order date is always on the 1st of each month.I assume because this unbilled invoice is only due at the end of the month the basically doing one month ahead, which is fine, I even asked the call center agent will there be a double debit and she said no.Her words were only the R59.00 rand, when I asked when is the first debit order date, she was also pretty mum on that :) I think I got a dud call center agent. :D

I just checked with mychoice you can either use it as a topup or use the credit available, while credit is convenient, it's not some thing I am keen on, much rather do recharge vouchers.....

BC9gIgd.jpg

All we have to see now, is the delivery of the device, and how they going to manage to screw that up....

rietrot

Executive Member
The best way to deal with this thieving mobile opperators(or banks) is to log a complaint with the ombudsman. They immediately received a financial penalty just because you logged a complain and then they will have to go and find the recording to show what the agent told you.
If everyone does this they will be forced to be more honest as it will actually hit their pockets.

wizardofid

Expert Member
The best way to deal with this thieving mobile opperators(or banks) is to log a complaint with the ombudsman. They immediately received a financial penalty just because you logged a complain and then they will have to go and find the recording to show what the agent told you.
If everyone does this they will be forced to be more honest as it will actually hit their pockets.
It's still a far cry from doing the ombudsman thing, will try and sort it out via normal channels first, politely.....;)

*edit
I think I am going to have a delivery problem, when I signed up I, the agent couldn't find my town, so used the next town's over area code, which 40kms away....so meh

Last edited:

isie

Executive Member
It's still a far cry from doing the ombudsman thing, will try and sort it out via normal channels first, politely.....;)

*edit
I think I am going to have a delivery problem, when I signed up I, the agent couldn't find my town, so used the next town's over area code, which 40kms away....so meh
When i ordered the courier company called me to reconfirm a few days before- and the actual driver called me on the day just to make sure im available and the adress- so hopefully they get your right

wizardofid

Expert Member
When i ordered the courier company called me to reconfirm a few days before- and the actual driver called me on the day just to make sure im available and the adress- so hopefully they get your right
What number will they phone on ? Contract or contact listed......?

wizardofid

Expert Member
I figured out why email support is so retarded with MTN...sent an email around 9am at 2pm I got a reply back thanks for contacting us for security purposes, kindly verify some details and that is how far it got, it's end of business today, which means the next 5 days will be as follows: Tomorrow, what seems to be the problem, explain the problem end of business day and week.

Monday could you kindly repeat the security questions end of business day. Tuesday what seems to be the problem, explain the problem end of business day.

Wednesday, kindly note the person you have been dealing with is on leave, could you kindly repeat the question.....

I would like to place a bet, R50.00 to the SPCA this issue will be resolved after the first debit order has taken place, any one game or have another date in mind :D

cavedog

Honorary Master
Just a heads up the unbilled invoice excludes any credits that will be passed due to promos or any credits that is due as once off or recurring basis.

The unbilled is usually higher as it's the base they sell it for. When they run a promo they usually pass a monthly credit to bring the sub to the advertised price.

In terms of the connection fee if it's not credited after the final invoice on billing date you can call them to have a case logged for the credit on that. The credit usually gets passed without any issues.

wizardofid

Expert Member
Just a heads up the unbilled invoice excludes any credits that will be passed due to promos or any credits that is due as once off or recurring basis.

The unbilled is usually higher as it's the base they sell it for. When they run a promo they usually pass a monthly credit to bring the sub to the advertised price.

In terms of the connection fee if it's not credited after the final invoice on billing date you can call them to have a case logged for the credit on that. The credit usually gets passed without any issues.
That is just stupid to be honest ;) Why not bill correctly and properly.Additionally the sub, is actually R39.00 sim only.MTN billing is like kicking you in the balls, but not telling you when it's going to hurt, if at all....

Used the sim the first time today and got the once off 30gig promotional data SMS, I thought it was only for selected contracts.. no mention, on the shop page for this one.So cool !!!!
eLGovVI.jpg

Name:
Number: MTN136
Content:
Y'ello! You have been credited with a FREE 30GB Data Bundle to set up your smartphone, download apps or stream your favourite content. Valid for 30 days. TsCs
Time: 06/07/2018 05:50:05

Last edited:

isie

Executive Member
That is just stupid to be honest ;) Why not bill correctly and properly.Additionally the sub, is actually R39.00 sim only.MTN billing is like kicking you in the balls, but not telling you when it's going to hurt, if at all....

Used the sim the first time today and got the once off 30gig promotional data SMS, I thought it was only for selected contracts.. no mention, on the shop page for this one.So cool !!!!
View attachment 534497

Name:
Number: MTN136
Content:
Y'ello! You have been credited with a FREE 30GB Data Bundle to set up your smartphone, download apps or stream your favourite content. Valid for 30 days. TsCs
Time: 06/07/2018 05:50:05
not aspecific contracts (i think on all) but the T&C's say Any LTE device - so probably that's why you got it

wizardofid

Expert Member
not aspecific contracts (i think on all) but the T&C's say Any LTE device - so probably that's why you got it
Yeah but it's not an LTE device as part of the contract, nor do I have LTE coverage, or any LTE device. I only have access to 3G, and data is being deducted from the 30gig promo data double and triple checked, Also did the whole set credit limit to R1 rand, just to be sure, as confirmed with MTN active, the data is there. ;)

Unless the device specs is wrong,(has happened before) its definitely a 3G device.I am not complaining about that at all was just surprised.As the promotional offer had no mention of it....

isie

Executive Member
Yeah but it's not an LTE device as part of the contract, nor do I have LTE coverage, or any LTE device. I only have access to 3G, and data is being deducted from the 30gig promo data double and triple checked, Also did the whole set credit limit to R1 rand, just to be sure, as confirmed with MTN active, the data is there. ;)

Unless the device specs is wrong,(has happened before) its definitely a 3G device.I am not complaining about that at all was just surprised.As the promotional offer had no mention of it....
at least you score - did the device get delivered or did they contact you

wizardofid

Expert Member
at least you score - did the device get delivered or did they contact you
Since the approval and sim activation on the 4th no further contact received...other then the SMS, because I am rural it takes about 3 to 5 days for delivery.I am most impressed otherwise with how smooth things went, I checked the data logs, which is quite odd shows data usages from before the activation, shows data usage on the 2 and on the 4th and today where I used the R10.00 airtime I loaded yesterday to buy a night express bundle. What is odd is the sim only got activated on the 4th late afternoon ish, but it's the first time I have used the sim since activation.
The data used on the 4th was for a night express bundled loaded before the activation of the sim, find it odd that they are showing prepaid usage before activation ?

mymtn 2018-07-04 03:45:10 2018-07-04 03:45:10 53.47
mymtn 2018-07-04 03:33:46 2018-07-04 03:33:46 400.00
mymtn 2018-07-04 03:10:44 2018-07-04 03:10:44 0.39
mymtn 2018-07-04 03:09:58 2018-07-04 03:09:58 456.00