www.hellkom.co.za needs a forum

slimothy

Banned
how come hellkom doesnt have a forum? As a website it recieves more average joe press than myadsl and i think it would be awesome if hellkom had a forum to build more of a community around it... so why hasnt it happened?

AntiThesis

Executive Member
I think they just use the vent for this reason... no clue why they're not running a forum actually. Although, wouldn't the content pretty much duplicate this forum?

native

Expert Member
Out of curiosity what will they be hoping to achieve?

Maybe dealing with dialup issues where telkom is still having a major hand :eek:

Last edited:

desraid

Expert Member
WiseCrack said:
Personally I just like to vent.
If I need to post I come here.
same here.
MaD would not want to spilt the users from MyADSL.

Vio

Expert Member
I don't think it would split the users at all, just because I post here doesn't mean I don't post on other forums.

Personaly I would love a Hellkom forum.

slimothy

Banned
I dont think the content would dupe this forum, I think it would get more of your average joes on it which is kinda who we need, and basically if nothing else it would provide another place for topics to come to the fore, perhaps topics that arent really nourished here (ayanda, line rental, yeah... i kinda wanted to hear more from her but doubt shes ever coming back).

What would it achieve? well at the moment myadsl kinda has a monopoly as far as forums discussing these topics is concerned, and whilst I am not against myadsl in anyway I think it would be constructive to have another forum perhaps one that covers stuff that myadsl doesnt (again, the ayanda thing)

Myadsl is known by more It professionals and hellkom, because of the name and lawsuit alone is probably on more normal, average users' lips.

Hellkom's motivations seem to be different too, it doesn't feel like that website is trying to gain press all the time and I have never seen a single ad on hellkom...

if myadsl happened to get corrupt, im not saying it has or will happen, but if it did (and theres always that chance) where would you discuss it? if rpm goes to meet with telkoms ceo and they come to a deal, where will people be able to discuss it, right now.. nowhere.

What i'm trying to say is if this is animal farm... what if the pigs start walking upright... where do we, the regular animals, go with our beef, i mean if we're not cool with monopolies then why can't hellkom open a forum? It could compiliment this one at best and at worst we'd have another place to talk about this stuff

slimothy

Banned
I would buy a vbulletin license (or whatever forum) if that was the problem

AntiThesis

Executive Member
I agree with you there Vio (the multiple forums)

I post here and on several other forums as well as run my own.

But the content that would be on Hellkom's forum would probably be pretty damned similar to this one wouldn't it? I dunno.

slimothy

Banned
i dont think so at all, the content on myadsl's front page is nothing like hellkom, I don't think ive ever seena news post on hellkom telling me how many broadband subscribers sweden has

myadsl is now like a corperation, it gets a small amount of press and now the emphasis is about looking good for that little bit of press, its a long term thing, and i'm sure theres money being made on the ads (and thats 100% fine) but when you look at hellkom, it gets the press anyway so its not looking to portray any sort of image to get more... ts already seen as a bit of a rebel as far as anti telkom sites go and i can almost guarantee not one cent has ever been made.

The content is different, the image is different and the motivation is different so I'm sure it would be a great place to discuss stuff

Last edited:

AntiThesis

Executive Member
I considered changing my post in light of slimothy's but meh. Too lazy.

You raise some pretty good points slimothy :)

I suppose there could be quite a few areas in which MyBroadband doesn't dominate the discussions. Dialup as you say is one of them. Perhaps we'll hear from MaD on this issue? :)

Silent_Bob

Expert Member
how do you even make a forum, buy the software, i found some on the net, but if running a site like myadsl where there is a huge traffic need, how much does a forum like this cost to run/keep?

slimothy

Banned
well there are a number of forum packages available, both free and commercial (and infact the free ones are better in many respects, security being one) and you set it up, its just a case of makign a database and config the php scripts and walla you have a forum

how much does it cost? well not that much actually and I think mad gets free hosting anyway, the bandwidth isn't that heavy on forums unless you're a large one (20 000 active members or more)

in sa the best any forum can hope to have is maybe 1000 active users and thats pretty small if you compare with international sites (i'm talking bedroom sites started by kids),

Basically money shouldnt be an issue at all

kingmonty

Expert Member
If they go with a forum - perhaps a mass self-modded forum may be the best route - similar to slashdots.

slimothy

Banned
slashdots karma comments system was coded overtime by slashdots creators, no forum i know of out the box supports that sort of moderation, but i think if you coulda hack the code of some existing forum package to do that, you'd probably have the best telecommunications related froum in south africa, hands down

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
slimothy said:
well there are a number of forum packages available, both free and commercial (and infact the free ones are better in many respects, security being one) and you set it up, its just a case of makign a database and config the php scripts and walla you have a forum

how much does it cost? well not that much actually and I think mad gets free hosting anyway, the bandwidth isn't that heavy on forums unless you're a large one (20 000 active members or more)

in sa the best any forum can hope to have is maybe 1000 active users and thats pretty small if you compare with international sites (i'm talking bedroom sites started by kids),

Basically money shouldnt be an issue at all
Considering the number of active users MyADSL has we helped generate quite a bit of usage in August - http://www.mybroadband.co.za/vb/showpost.php?p=291480&postcount=15 - I'm not sure the people we've assumed are giving MaD his hosting would appreciate that much traffic.

kingmonty

Expert Member
there are tonnes of php- and perl-based forums around. I'm sure there are enough coders comfortable in either (or both) to put something together. mmm. or maybe if someone were willing to spec I can put something together too.

slimothy

Banned
ok well if mad was interested and couldnt get bandwidth he could use my new za servers bandwidth all he wanted too

anyways myadsl only has about 400 - 500 active users

slimothy

Banned
king monty i have modded forums before, and by far the easiest to mod is phpbb, you could easily implement a karma system in it because the way its structured you just need to make a karma class to handle all the karma stuff and then just instantiate the object within the conf file, so its available within all pages of the forum.

Then you could just mod the moderator controls to be visiable to everyone or everyone with a high enough score etc, and the best thing is you wouldn't need to mod any of the mysql tables, just add one for the karma stuff