www.hellkom.co.za needs a forum

AdLo

Expert Member
What happened to the other website that Telkom took legal action against at the same time as Hellkom? I think it was called www.telkomsucks.co.za. Well that was a forum but because it was used by most people to vent it was unstructured and the poor English used by posters made it die a quickish death. I think a Hellkom forum would go the same way.

nocilah

Banned
well in my oppinion hellkom is far superioir of a site then myadsl, not saying myadsl is bad, just saying hellkom is better. if it had a forum it would pwn.

but then hellkom is venting against one entity where myadsl is catering for the entire communication industry from 3g to sentech.

then there is also antitrust which has a forum.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I think if Hellkom had wanted a forum they would have had one by now.

However, there's nothing to stop anyone who wants a forum to go and create one for themselves - more the merrier IMO.

Vio

Expert Member
AntiThesis said:
I agree with you there Vio (the multiple forums)

I post here and on several other forums as well as run my own.

But the content that would be on Hellkom's forum would probably be pretty damned similar to this one wouldn't it? I dunno.
I actualy think the Hellkom forum would be less uptight and a more "hi howzit going i hate telkom die beeches" type forum. MyADSL is more technical and political working for a cause. Where as Gregg's site is about informing people about how badly they been getting ripped off and perhaps (if he gets a forum) allow them to share and discuss tales. The vent is a bit crap imo its so disorganized you can't realy read it.

Vio

Expert Member
AdLo said:
What happened to the other website that Telkom took legal action against at the same time as Hellkom? I think it was called www.telkomsucks.co.za. Well that was a forum but because it was used by most people to vent it was unstructured and the poor English used by posters made it die a quickish death. I think a Hellkom forum would go the same way.
Actualy not, if i remember correctly the owner didn't want to tango with Telkom and so the forum was closed.

That forum pwned.

slimothy

Banned
ic said:
can MaD trust you to run such a forum if his head is on the block?
no, because I am not trying to run any forum. I don't want to make one myself or make one for another person, I was just thinking it might be good to have a forum at hellkom, it would all be up to mad if he wanted one and i'd have nothing to do with it at all except being a member.

MaD

Expert Member
'ello fellow forumites :)

A Hellkom forum would probably (read: definitely) be one huge area for mudslinging. Consider the average Telkom customer. With the amount of problems and prices they have to put up with, kind words about Telkom are not top priority. Judging from the e-mails sent via the site, roughly 99.9% of Telkom customers are NOT happy with them, and swearwords when mentioning their communications company are not uncommon :)

Additionally, Hellkom is locally hosted, and at 19c/MB over the quota it would cost an absolute fortune to pay for the bandwidth, as many, many people will be heading over to the 'Gripes and Groans' section of the forums.. in fact, South Africa may well run out of bandwidth :D

A forum was an idea, and I did start working on one and skinned it to look pretty hot, but decided against it as there could be all kinds of reasons for Telkom to have the site taken down. If someone mentions bombing Telkom on the forums (which is of course illegal and not encouraged) and someone at Telkom takes a screen capture, they can have the site taken down on grounds of 'incitement to violence'.. the site is already pretty much on the far edge of the fine line of the law and imho a forum would probably make that line a lot thinner :)

ettubrute

Expert Member
Hellkom said:
So what I'm saying is that if you get into trouble it's not my fault ;)
You could place this disclaimer quite prominently on the forums... :D

But no, rather not start your own. MyADSL takes up enough of my time already! :D:D

bb_matt

Executive Member
slimothy said:
how come hellkom doesnt have a forum? As a website it recieves more average joe press than myadsl and i think it would be awesome if hellkom had a forum to build more of a community around it... so why hasnt it happened?
You'd have to be MAD to start a forum at Hellkom !

hmmm...

pookfuzz

I don't think a forum would be needed. As it currently stands the Helkom site tends to be quite factual and accurate in everything it presents, I suspect a forum which may contain wild speculation would not lend credibility to the factual content on the site.

As others have already pointed out, I suspect it would simply end up being a rage venting venue.