Wynberg business owners helpless as urban decay sets in despite their pleas

Currantly

Expert Member
Cape Town - Business owners in Wynberg are at their wits’ end over the decay of Ebor Road.

Over the past decade, they have felt helpless as they watched on as the area has gradually deteriorated. They have tried to get the City of Cape Town to take action but their cries seem to have gone unheard as the issue remains unresolved.

Leif Petersen, co-director for Sustainable Livelihoods Foundation NPC, whose offices are in the road, said Ebor Road has been in a state of decay for more than a decade.

’’A small, committed group of business owners, including ourselves, have invested time, effort and money in our attempts to raise the standard of the area. We have painted all of the buildings (including much of the Uli Heydt building), planted trees, and regularly clean the street of litter. Our properties are well-maintained and managed. Between ourselves and just two of our neighbours, we provide over 100 jobs,” said Petersen.

Linky

RedViking

Nord of the South
Wynberg is a slum, do not resuscitate.
Well if they can't fix their little slum, how do they plan to fix the rest of the massive cesspit. They should see it as a practice round. Although they slowly dying out anyways.

hexagon

In the early 90s I would catch a train to Wynberg for my oboe lesson at Beau Soleil, amble around Maynard Mall, get an ice cream at the Milky Lane, then spend an hour or so at the Wynberg Library. On Saturdays the family would get brunch at one of several coffee shops. I barely remember the MacDonalds (no, not THAT one) clothing store, which was one of the places to go before chain stores entirely took over. Percy Sledge was recorded live at the Luxurama, which was very much before my time, but apparently one of the few hotspots for entertainment catering to multiracial audiences. Nowadays I only touch the place to visit the Wynberg Pharmacy if it's the only place open and even then I'm checking over my shoulder.

saturnz

Honorary Master
I have a friend who says that it was the Big apple of SA in the 80's. Do you reckon he is lying?

not sure how that statement and mine clash, but in any event, I do not reckon anything about your friend

daveza

Honorary Master
I have a friend who says that it was the Big apple of SA in the 80's. Do you reckon he is lying?

Claremont was the Big apple in the 80's, but Wynberg had two cinemas, a decent mall. the library, then it just went to crap - Claremont is heading the same way.

Edit: You can add Bellville CBD to the urban decay list..

Last edited:

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
So these buildings that form part of this urban decay...who do they belong to then?

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Claremont was the Big apple in the 80's, but Wynberg had two cinemas, a decent mall. the library, then it just went to crap - Claremont is heading the same way.

Three words:
Public Transport Hub.

Ducks...