XBox 1 or Playstation - first buyer - Your ideas?

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Just get the one the kid wants, they're both great consoles. The PS4 is slightly more powerful than the Xbox One and imo has much better exclusives, but those are generally only single player exclusives (not sure if the console is mainly for multiplayer games).

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
Thats a bummer if DStv NOw is not available on PS. So I can plug in a normal external 1 or 2 TB drive into a PS and it works seamless as if the PS has its own 1 or 2TB drive?
Just need to format it for the PS4. It is very simple, the PS4 will tell you what to do as soon as you plug it in.

HateTelkom

If he wants to play Fortnite, either should be fine. As far as I know, cross platform playing is available on all.

If he wants to play other games with his friends, it's best to find out which one is the most common between them, and get whichever is more popular.

If he wants to play the best exclusives, PS4 is the way to go - hands down, unless the guy really likes Gears of War / Forza - but even then, a PC would suffice.

In terms of power, Xbox One X is at the top, then the PS4 Pro, then stock PS4 and right at the bottom - Xbox One S. Personally, I'd avoid the Xbox One S as the performance is just sub-par based on the many Digital Foundry videos I've watched.

I have a PS4 Pro - bought it for games like:

* All the Uncharted 1, 2, 3, and 4, as well as The Lost Legacy
* The Last Guardian
* God of War
* Horizon: Zero Dawn
* Until Dawn
* Detroit: Become Human (It wasn't available on PC at the time)
* The Last of Us: Remastered
* The Order: 1886 (This is a bit of a lemon in the list, but I finished it anyway)
* Shadow of the Colossus (Lost interest in this though)
* Spiderman

The list above is where you get your value for money IMO. I also got Gran Turismo Sport with it, but I wasn't really interest in this game.
Some usefull info. Thanks. So, from a performance perspective the PS4 Pro seems to be the better option

isie

Honorary Master
Hi Guys, our son turned 13 today and he would like one of these 2 consoles. He pref the PS4 but I'm not sure if he fully understand the differences between the 2. I'm sure you guys have lots of experience with these 2 consoles. What would you recommend I get? I'm very new to this and tried to read up but I'm still not sure if there's an outright A is better then B hence the reason why I'm trying this forum. I've received some good advise here previously so hoping to do the same?

Feel free to let me know if you know of a good special that is currently running somewhere?
He will primarily used it for gaming but I will be interested in any other features the respective consoles offer. Pls give me your opinions?

Thanks
Craig
You going to get everyone's personal opinion , both have their advantages and disadvantages - and PS guys won't know the features of the Xbox and will assume it does not have that and vice versa. Honestly at the end of the day they more or less the same - it's really down to what exclusive games each has.

Personally i have an Xbox so that's what I will say.

You Kid wants a Ps4 what's his reason for this probably to play online with his Buddies as Cross play is not yet fully realised Ps4 will be the best option right now.

Also I hope you have decent uncapped internet access even if you don't play online theses days you need to pull updates just to install a game - flip on the xbox there are updates for the controller as well :)

HateTelkom

I believe the xbox is very intensive on bandwith when it come to downloading updates. Does the same apply to the PS4?

Magandroid

Expert Member
Also look which console has the greater market share. Then try and find out why one console is more popular than the other.

S.Claus

I believe the xbox is very intensive on bandwith when it come to downloading updates. Does the same apply to the PS4?
Really depends what he downloads and how many games get updated

I spend anywhere from 200Mb-106Gb daily depending on if I download a game or just play.

HateTelkom

You going to get everyone's personal opinion , both have their advantages and disadvantages - and PS guys won't know the features of the Xbox and will assume it does not have that and vice versa. Honestly at the end of the day they more or less the same - it's really down to what exclusive games each has.

Personally i have an Xbox so that's what I will say.

You Kid wants a Ps4 what's his reason for this probably to play online with his Buddies as Cross play is not yet fully realised Ps4 will be the best option right now.

Also I hope you have decent uncapped internet access even if you don't play online theses days you need to pull updates just to install a game - flip on the xbox there are updates for the controller as well :)
His only reason why saying the PS4 is according to him the graphics is better. Is that really the case if you have a 4K tv and I see both consoles is capable of playing 4k graphics in which case I dont understand why the graphics of the PS4 is better - anyone?

Matt91

Depends on the game I know when i put my Elder Scrolls disk into my PS4 I had an 80gig update to get through.

mattrudlles

His only reason why saying the PS4 is according to him the graphics is better. Is that really the case if you have a 4K tv and I see both consoles is capable of playing 4k graphics in which case I dont understand why the graphics of the PS4 is better - anyone?
Ask him which games he wants to play on PS4, and on Xbox - about as much as you can expect him to compare objectively. Honestly though, if he wants the PS4 he will feel like has been cheated if he gets an Xbox.

isie

Honorary Master
Remember also the 4K resolution is only the Ps4 Pro and Xbox one X (not the normal versions of each) and yes only helps if you have a 4K TV.
@DrJohnZoidberg can maybe confirm but the actual Hardware on the Xbox One X is slightly better then Ps4 Pro but I'm pretty sure the titles that they share look about the same.
The Exclusive games might be where you will see each console shine in therm of graphics (ah Spiderman thou hath Forsaken us) .
Streaming services both can get Netflix in 4K The xbox has a 4K bluray player Ps doesn't.

For me Xbox (and i don't have the One X just the original) in terms of Budget works out very cost effective they have nice specials now and again (microsoft isn't that evil) Game pass ultimate FTW :D

I use a crap load of data - but i also prefer getting more digital games then Discs - find them way cheaper.

isie

Honorary Master
Remember XBOX wanted to do the following, so rather keep supporting PS 4:

Yoh that was years ago wanted to being the operative word
If we going to bring up the crap each of companies wanted to do - we going to have a long list of ****

Hellhound105

Expert Member
Yoh that was years ago wanted to being the operative word
If we going to bring up the crap each of companies wanted to do - we going to have a long list of ****
Doesn't matter, more than enough reason to stick with PS4

isie

Honorary Master
Doesn't matter, more than enough reason to stick with PS4
It took Sony 5 years to get EA access on the playstation any reason they took so long to get that value added service?
After complaints from customers it Took Sony 5 years to back track a decision not to have EA access- it took microsoft a few weeks to backtrack on theirs not to allow second hand games.
So who listens to their customers?
Don't get me started on Sony refusing Cross play and only recently started warming up to the Idea.
If 1 bad decision is the reason to stay away from a console - i can give you plenty on all.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
The PS4 objectively has better exclusives, but at that age the most important factor to consider is what his friends have, as lupus and others have said. If they have a mix of Xbox and PS4 then it depends on which friends he would like to play with the most. In this case I suggest just getting him the one he wants.

Games can be bought digitally or on physical discs.
Both consoles charge a monthly subscription to play online.