Xbox launches Netflix-style game subscription service

Solitude

Executive Member
It's such a great idea and will definitely go for it if the games are worthwhile. However, I really wonder if this will be available in South Africa.

Praemon

Expert Member
It's such a great idea and will definitely go for it if the games are worthwhile. However, I really wonder if this will be available in South Africa.

It should be, but you never know. A lot of older titles aren't available in the local Marketplace, so it might mean they can't easily offer the service here in the beginning. Apparently it will be available in 27 of the 40-odd countries that Xbox Live is available in, so hopefully we should be good to go.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
So it's basically EA Access but with a bigger library. I like the idea behind EA Access but the library was always too small. Will definitely look into this one...

Thor

Honorary Master

More specifically if this would be affordable in South Africa given our rand.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...

$10 per month dude..

R130 per month... If you can afford an Xbox One, you can generally afford that.

isie

Honorary Master

$10 a month - that's nothing
maybe they will have 3, 6 and 12 month vouchers like xbox live might be even cheaper then.

ToxicBunny

Assuming they'll keep that price for SA

Do you have any examples where Microsoft provided services are priced HUGELY differently depending on the market (I'm talking things like Azure, Office 365 etc.. not hardware that is onsold)

Thor

Honorary Master
Do you have any examples where Microsoft provided services are priced HUGELY differently depending on the market (I'm talking things like Azure, Office 365 etc.. not hardware that is onsold)
Not on my person no.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master

It will probably be very close to, but slightly higher than, the direct conversion price to account for slight fluctuations.

The Division: Last Stand expansion costs $15 (R195 at the current rate), but sells for R209 on our store.

I'm expecting $10 to be about R149, which still isn't too bad...

ToxicBunny

It will probably be very close to, but slightly higher than, the direct conversion price to account for slight fluctuations.

The Division: Last Stand expansion costs $15 (R195 at the current rate), but sells for R209 on our store.

I'm expecting $10 to be about R149, which still isn't too bad...

Yeah that would be my expectation as well, hell I'd be surprised if its not which is why I'm baffled by people saying "Assuming they'll keep that price for SA" and such....

isie

Honorary Master

i doubt it will be a price issue, we might have title availibility issues

ToxicBunny

i doubt it will be a price issue, we might have title availibility issues

Without a doubt...

This part of the convo revolves around Thor187's statements in relation to price only.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Yes on US store Mass effect Andromeda is 59 dollars on ours it is equivalent to 90 dollars.
Xbox live 12 month 49 dollars vs R999 (70 or so dollars) we are getting shafted.

Last edited:

ToxicBunny

Yes on US store Mass effect Andromeda is 59 dollars on ours it is equivalent to 90 dollars.
Xbox live 12 month 49 dollars vs R999 (70 or so dollars) we are getting shafted.

The game is an EA issue.

Solitude

Executive Member

That price is determined by the publisher as far as I understand and isn't similar to a Microsoft service. Overall Microsoft service prices haven't been bad in South Africa but for me it's more of a worry that the service won't be available to us because overseas they have things like XBox Rewards and such that aren't available to us.