Xiaomi AX1800 or AC2350

JonOpollo

Has anyone used either of these routers, any thoughts on things like firmware, range, wireless throughput, general experiences of it being a standard router. Is there better range on the AC2350? Does the AX1800's newer features make it a better buy than the ac2350?

omni-presence

I'd go with the AC1800 because it's WiFi6 vs the AC2350's WiFi5. Also how badly do you want China to have access to your Internet usage history? I like MikroTik more because it's made in the EU. Ubiquiti is produced in China. I'd maybe stretch the budget and get the new RouterBOARD hAP3 (the one without LTE). https://mikrotik.com/product/hap_ac3

Last edited:

JonOpollo

Yeah I really wanted to get a microtik or unifi system but I have to pair the router with a 12v backup battery and I think they all are 18v or more.

JonOpollo

Ah i see now must've missed it completely. This is definitely a top option now then. Thanks

JonOpollo

Yeah I am eager to learn and play around with it. The only thing I am worried about is the wifi performance I know mikrotik is not well known for their wifi

JonOpollo

Would the microtik work on 12V/2A backup battery split with the ONT. Wifi and one LAN connection?

B-1

Expert Member
Would the microtik work on 12V/2A backup battery split with the ONT. Wifi and one LAN connection?

Should be fine the bottom of the voltage range is 10v I believe. 2A might get a bit tight for all the devices though.

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
I have a ac2 running off a 12v backup with no issues.

As for wifi, I dont rely on the mikrotik for it and got different AP's. Plenty of options based on needs and budget.

JonOpollo

I have a ac2 running off a 12v backup with no issues.

As for wifi, I dont rely on the mikrotik for it and got different AP's. Plenty of options based on needs and budget.

what would you suggest between the ax1800 or hap3, most of the devices will be running on wifi, some on LAN. I have a router acting as a access point for the front of the house but the router for the fibre will have to be an access point for majority of the devices.

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
what would you suggest between the ax1800 or hap3, most of the devices will be running on wifi, some on LAN. I have a router acting as a access point for the front of the house but the router for the fibre will have to be an access point for majority of the devices.
Personally no experience with the ax1800 and probably biased towards mikrotik. So I would probably take the mikrotik and run unifi Ap's (like current setup) or add a different mesh setup for wireless.

It depends highly on what you plan on doing with the router. If you know your way around networking and want alot of customization then mikrotik will be the way to go.

For just good wifi then I'm willing to bet the ax1800 takes it. Sadly the mikrotik sucks at wifi. I've read reviews about the ac3 and they claim its got the same range as the ac2. So for wifi range it's not the best choice.

JonOpollo

Personally no experience with the ax1800 and probably biased towards mikrotik. So I would probably take the mikrotik and run unifi Ap's (like current setup) or add a different mesh setup for wireless.

It depends highly on what you plan on doing with the router. If you know your way around networking and want alot of customization then mikrotik will be the way to go.

For just good wifi then I'm willing to bet the ax1800 takes it. Sadly the mikrotik sucks at wifi. I've read reviews about the ac3 and they claim its got the same range as the ac2. So for wifi range it's not the best choice.
Ah I thought as much, really wanted the mikrotik for its depth in configuration but it would also have to play the role of one of two wireless aps. For the foreseeable future I dont see us adding dedicated ap's like the unifi ones just based on the amount of devices and users and budget. Thanks for the input I really appreciate it!