Xiaomi is bracing to take on Samsung and Huawei in SA

Insint

Expert Member
Filled with ads not to mention the terrible memory management to get more battery life. Hopefully newer versions of Miui fixed that?

I don't have any issues. All ads that is in their apps can easily be disables by going to the app settings. Just Google it.

I have personally seen very little ads but when I do it gets disabled.

Gudnews

Expert Member
There's a cheapest you can go while still having an okay user experience, that mark is ~R2800 right now for Xiaomi, or ~$100 if you don't factor South African taxes and import.
"Okay user experience" is relative though. These Mobicel phones are some of the best selling in the country as a matter of fact. If Xiaomi wants market share, that is where it can be had considering the appeal of Mobicel is surely only price.

And I suspect some of those folks do move on to better devices, get them whilst they are bottom dwellers and keep them in your eco system.

I wouldn't be surprised though if it doesn't make enough financial sense for them to go after that market segment even with the promise of users upgrading.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
"Okay user experience" is relative though. These Mobicel phones are some of the best selling in the country as a matter of fact. If Xiaomi wants market share, that is where it can be had considering the appeal of Mobicel is surely only price.

And I suspect some of those folks do move on to better devices, get them whilst they are bottom dwellers and keep them in your eco system.

I wouldn't be surprised though if it doesn't make enough financial sense for them to go after that market segment even with the promise of users upgrading.
Xiaomi's biggest problem is brand recognition, they haven't yet done viral marketing campaigns locally like they have done overseas.

Added to that they sell most of their devices online in major markets and SA consumers aren't big info e-commerce, things have improved slightly due to the pandemic though.

Gudnews

Expert Member
Xiaomi's biggest problem is brand recognition, they haven't yet done viral marketing campaigns locally like they have done overseas.

Added to that they sell most of their devices online in major markets and SA consumers aren't big info e-commerce, things have improved slightly due to the pandemic though.
Well said. I guess the journey is just beginning for them in SA.

APoc184

Honorary Master
Unfortunately that is only the 10S. Not the Pro.

Still a killer deal and phone though.

See the Pro is R5499.

And they have a bundled option with a Mi Band for the same price. But the bundle is out of stock.

Hope they load Pro with Earbuds at the same price.

I converted most of the family to Xiaomi after I bought the Mi9 2 years ago. Really great value for money.

Speedster

Honorary Master
What I'd appreciate is an easier way to differentiate between their models. The names are all very similar and it's a mission to know which devices are the "better” ones

APoc184

Honorary Master
What I'd appreciate is an easier way to differentiate between their models. The names are all very similar and it's a mission to know which devices are the "better” ones

Agreed.

I think it is currently along these line.
Redmi 9 - Entry Level. (But even then there are 9A, 9C, 9T)
Redmi Note 10 - Mid Range (Again 10, 10S, 10 Pro)
Mi 10 - Top Range (Again 10, 10T, 10T Pro, 10 Lite, 10T Lite)

Strobemeister

Expert Member
I use the Redmi Note 8, which I bought last year March for just over 3k. Before that I was using Samsung flagships, or near to that end. I found the Samsung was more stable, faster etc., but ofc I'm not comparing apples with apples. It does most of what I need just fine. The video/pics suck a bit compared to what I had before, but not by much.
My biggest issue with this phone is that lately the screen goes a bit wonky a coupla times a month, crunches icons together at the top - haven't managed to sort that out yet, most annoying. If not for that, bargain phone that does most of what I need - phone/email/whatsapp/pics.

1geoff99

They will never do that, they try and cap it at 5% of net profit for phones, that's why the $2 average profit.
Where Xiaomi makes their money is software, adds on the phone, etc. which is why I will never purchase one of their phones.
It's easy to disable the adds.
It's adds not ads.. I see that on the calculator app all the time.
Then just disable them.
They will never do that, they try and cap it at 5% of net profit for phones, that's why the $2 average profit.
Where Xiaomi makes their money is software, adds on the phone, etc. which is why I will never purchase one of their phones.
Adds are easy to disable.

Dan C

Honorary Master
It's easy to disable the adds.

Then just disable them.

Adds are easy to disable.
I guess I can always multiply the number by -1 and use the minus. So I won't need the Add button.