Xiaomi Mi 4 and Redmi 2 launch date and prices for SA

Shalin_ZN

Expert Member
Incredibly daft to bring in only the 16GB Mi4.

The rest of the specs are very good, especially considering the price point.

If they can bring a 32GB for R4.5k it'll be a winner.

koeks525

Expert Member
The specs for both phones are impressive. Wish that RedMi 2 had 2GB of RAM and Android Lollipop.

I O U

I'd stay away from any phone on KitKat - bought the MTN branded LTE phone on 4.4.4 & was unable to move or save anything to the SD Card without first rooting it with KingRoot.

Amazing how these manufacturers use SA as a dumping ground for phones with old Android OS's ; if you listen to tech podcasts in the US, they're highly dismissive of anything older than 5.1.1 now.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
I personally think the Mi4i and Mi4c are the best offerings they have, so I don't know why those are not coming (yet).

<- Happy Mi4i owner, had it for... 3 months I think.

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
The Redmi 2 priced at R1999 has expandible storage by microSD card but the Mi 4 priced at R3999 doesn't?

Makes no sense!

lsheed_cn

Expert Member
I just bought the newer Redmi 2a for 499RMB (marginally over R1100) during 11.11 shopping day / singles day in China to give Android a whirl again.

Not a bad phone. Pleasantly surprised actually.
Camera is a bit miff, its equivalent to taking photos with an iPhone 4, albeit with higher resolution, and the phone size is thicker than I like, but for the price, its a steal. Has an sd card slot too, unlike most of the Xiao Mi range.

2G ram/ 16G flash
Dual Sim
4G China Mobile / 4G China Unicom frequencies (so fine for MTN / Vodacom / Telkom etc)
720p screen.

Has MIUI 7, which is fast, and a reasonably clean UI. Still suffers a little from the horrendous Android lets stick menu's all over the show, but all in all a good experience. Hopefully the global one will be the same model.

At 5.7" its a little larger than I usually prefer in a phone, but its something you get used to. That said, holding it one handed makes it difficult to do stuff like swipe down for the setting menu.
The screen is excellent. Far better than my iPhone 5.
Considering this is the lowest end model, I'm impressed.

That said, I still prefer IOS, but Android is getting a little bit better every iteration.
Android feels less half assed than it used to be, but it still has a lot of rough edges.

Main issues I have with Android are the complete lack of standardisation.
eg some apps have back buttons, some rely on the back key. No cohesiveness at all, which is jarring when you come from Apple, as Apple feels far more coherent designwise.

All in all, a happy purchase. Now I'm tempted to go for something a little thinner / better (maybe the Mi 5 when that comes out).

FiestaST

Honorary Master
If these guys are aggressively advertising here then they need a marketing campaign on how to (correctly) pronounce their name

lsheed_cn

Expert Member
I bought it on taobao. No shipping and taxes. I live in China most of the year.