Xiaomi Mi Box / Mi Box S [Android TV OS]

StoneCold

Expert Member
Hi Guys,

I get a video playback error when watching from the DSTVNow app. Netfix and other streaming channels are fine. Any suggestions??

Just select the channel again, mine does that once in a while. By reselecting it, it works again for me.

Speedster

Honorary Master
what are you guys using to copy files to the MiBox? Smb, ftp, ssh - what is the best / cleanest solution?

phly

Expert Member
it's the manual method, open a remote connection on ES file explorer (ftp), then open the mi box folder structure on laptop and you can drag and drop anything to and fro between laptop and mi box. Once the apps are on the mi box you can install them as you would normally navigating es file manager with remote - no need for keyboard.

Speedster

Honorary Master
it's the manual method, open a remote connection on ES file explorer (ftp), then open the mi box folder structure on laptop and you can drag and drop anything to and fro between laptop and mi box. Once the apps are on the mi box you can install them as you would normally navigating es file manager with remote - no need for keyboard.
I'm missing something here. Does es explorer create a ftp server which you then connect to via filezilla from a laptop?

phly

Expert Member
I'm missing something here. Does es explorer create a ftp server which you then connect to via filezilla from a laptop?

The short answer is yes. Turn on remote manager in ES File Manager
Take note of the ftp address
Put that address into filezilla and bob's your uncle

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 8.09.13 AM.png

Park@82

Honorary Master
I could not copy files downloaded files from the USB formatted as internal storage to another USB drive. Any ideas why?

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
I could not copy files downloaded files from the USB formatted as internal storage to another USB drive. Any ideas why?
I mentioned this a while back. I have a feeling it's still part of Google blocking file write to external memory which came out with Android 4.4 (I think).

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
I have finally managed to get the Google Home app to cast my tablet's screen to the Mi box. What a mission. Google was totally unhelpful in this matter.

Park@82

Honorary Master
I mentioned this a while back. I have a feeling it's still part of Google blocking file write to external memory which came out with Android 4.4 (I think).
Yes I also thought that. But they brought it back in later version. I kind of feels like a file explorer app permission that needs to change.

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
I've been using an Echo Dot with my Mi Box and I'm really liking it, for example I have a Plex routine, I say Alexa, watch Plex, which then turns on my Mi Box which turns on my TV, switches to the correct source and opens Plex. I can then say stuff like Alexa, ask Plex what's On Deck and she lists off the shows I'm watching and then I just tell her what I want to watch.

phly

Expert Member
I've been using an Echo Dot with my Mi Box and I'm really liking it, for example I have a Plex routine, I say Alexa, watch Plex, which then turns on my Mi Box which turns on my TV, switches to the correct source and opens Plex. I can then say stuff like Alexa, ask Plex what's On Deck and she lists off the shows I'm watching and then I just tell her what I want to watch.

But i'm guessing she (Alexa) does not play nice when it comes to youtube and searching youtube content right? It being google and feud and all.

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
But i'm guessing she (Alexa) does not play nice when it comes to youtube and searching youtube content right? It being google and feud and all.
I haven't tried it but I think you're right, will have to use the voice control on the remote for that.

Edit: Netflix too, the deep voice search with Alexa on Netflix is only available on the Fire TV devices.

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
MyBB gave me an Alexa device last month. I find Alexa to be extraordinarily dof when compared with Google Assistant.