Xiaomi Mi Box / Mi Box S [Android TV OS]

Jasop

I just plug/unplug a USB 3 memory stick, delete old stuff, add new ... , not most elegant, I know, but works.

i tried kodi but plex works best for me ... on the PC utorrent rss auto downloads and moves to movies / series etc, when putting on the mibox plex automatically picks up the latest movies / episodes, and after watching can delete from the mibox itself if necessary

i don't see the benefit of transferring the files to the mibox - even over wifi the content plays without any issues for me

Recallza

I've been using an Echo Dot with my Mi Box and I'm really liking it, for example I have a Plex routine, I say Alexa, watch Plex, which then turns on my Mi Box which turns on my TV, switches to the correct source and opens Plex. I can then say stuff like Alexa, ask Plex what's On Deck and she lists off the shows I'm watching and then I just tell her what I want to watch.

How'd you sync your Mi Box with your Echo Dot?

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
i tried kodi but plex works best for me ... on the PC utorrent rss auto downloads and moves to movies / series etc, when putting on the mibox plex automatically picks up the latest movies / episodes, and after watching can delete from the mibox itself if necessary

i don't see the benefit of transferring the files to the mibox - even over wifi the content plays without any issues for me

Had a similar setup, a RPi with a hard drive setup as a network share, all new stuff copied there, old stuff deleted and so on, but needed the RPi for another task, and it got repurposed, and I keep forgetting to aquire another , to use as a share, from which, the 2x LIT boxes, and MiBox can play media from, over the network. Works well enough.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Anyone else battling with DSTV Now? Maybe it is loadshedding-related but it seems to have reset and is giving me the screen which says I need to go to now.dstv.com/tv and input a code (like when I first installed dstv now on the Mi Box). But going there does not give me the screen where I can input said code. Ideas?

SamWill

Anyone else battling with DSTV Now? Maybe it is loadshedding-related but it seems to have reset and is giving me the screen which says I need to go to now.dstv.com/tv and input a code (like when I first installed dstv now on the Mi Box). But going there does not give me the screen where I can input said code. Ideas?
I have had that happen to me last week. Clear the browser cache and try again.

GrootBaas

Expert Member
A while ago someone here mentioned about the box not wanting to start from time to time and requires unplugging the power source first. I experienced it a while ago as well and again today. No matter how many times I press any button on the remote, it just does not want to start up.

Right now it's the only issue I have with an otherwise brilliant device.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member

Happened to me the other day, pressed the back button, then the li e TV option again, and I was good to go ... , maybe I was lucky ...

Jasop

I've noticed buffering every few minutes during sports events recently. Internet fiber speed more than fast enough and no issues on any other streaming apps. Thought it was DStv servers, then instead casted from phone and no buffering at all.

Make me wonder if DStv is deliberately throttling apps connecting from Android TV OS , that's the only difference over casting from phone app.

EADC

Executive Member
I've noticed buffering every few minutes during sports events recently. Internet fiber speed more than fast enough and no issues on any other streaming apps. Thought it was DStv servers, then instead casted from phone and no buffering at all.

Make me wonder if DStv is deliberately throttling apps connecting from Android TV OS , that's the only difference over casting from phone app.
There is just something wrong with DSTV now I can go from Mibox with no buffering at all move to tablet and buffers like crazy and vice versa.

SamWill

Thanks. I'll give it a go. Or explain to the family member who has this Box how to do it...
Or try from a different browser. I find it works better accessing the website from a pc or laptop or tablet. Doing it from the phone works occasionally.

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
A while ago someone here mentioned about the box not wanting to start from time to time and requires unplugging the power source first. I experienced it a while ago as well and again today. No matter how many times I press any button on the remote, it just does not want to start up.

Right now it's the only issue I have with an otherwise brilliant device.

Try pressing the power button and the big central button qt the same time. This seems to help.

It is a big bug, and apparently the devs are working on resolving it. There is a thread somewhere in Reddit for people on a beta program or something.

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
So I recently started getting a weird issue. I have a Raspberry pi, with harddrives setup as a Samba share.

I used to be able to play stuff over the network fine, but all of a sudden whatever Im watching seems to freeze randomly. Could take a few minutes, or 15, but it will freeze. Almost as if its overheating.

I can play the same movies/series on other devices (Android cellphones, iPad, Laptop) over the network without issues.
This seems to be happening since the last update.

Anyone experience this as well? I tried Kodi and VLC.

FlashSA

Executive Member
The remote is bluetooth, so maybe it is just turning itself off to save battery and is slow to wake up and connect after the first press. That is my feeling based on experience. I just smash the middle round button a few times and the device wakes up

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Or try from a different browser. I find it works better accessing the website from a pc or laptop or tablet. Doing it from the phone works occasionally.
I tried a different browser and different phones and a tablet.

No dice.

Then loadshedding :(

What do you think? Uninstall reinstall the DSTV Now app on the Mi Box and try again?

Speedster

Honorary Master

No dice.

What do you think? Uninstall reinstall the DSTV Now app on the Mi Box and try again?
Uninstalling won't remove the requirement to authenticate. Are you sure you're going the correct URL? Also, you might need to be logged in to your DSTV account on the browser you're using to authenticate

SamWill

No dice.

I don't think a reinstall is necessary. As Speedster mentioned, make sure you are logged in to now.dstv.com

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Uninstalling won't remove the requirement to authenticate. Are you sure you're going the correct URL? Also, you might need to be logged in to your DSTV account on the browser you're using to authenticate
I'm going to now.dstv.com/tv

Will try again while logged into the dstv account in the browser

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member

No dice.

You need to log in, and the space where you need to add the code displayed does not always show as visible, so check where you think it should be, and click the mouse, when you click on the box it will become visible. Has happened to me twice , might be browser, fault, but log in first.