Xiaomi Mi Box / Mi Box S [Android TV OS]

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
You need to log in, and the space where you need to add the code displayed does not always show as visible, so check where you think it should be, and click the mouse, when you click on the box it will become visible. Has happened to me twice , might be browser, fault, but log in first.
Ok cool.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Will do. Why does it have to be such a complex process?
Probably because it was an "add on" or extension of an already complete app. Also somewhere, some one thinks they are a CC.

PS: for those not familiar with the term, a CC is a someone who is nowhere near as clever as he thinks he is and thus " Clever ****" and thus a CC.

Would have been better by far if the app opened the URL, you logged in, the authenticate the device / app , but yeah ...

EADC

Executive Member
Probably because it was an "add on" or extension of an already complete app. Also somewhere, some one thinks they are a CC.

PS: for those not familiar with the term, a CC is a someone who is nowhere near as clever as he thinks he is and thus " Clever ****" and thus a CC.

Would have been better by far if the app opened the URL, you logged in, the authenticate the device / app , but yeah ...
The fact that these DSTV apps log you out is a pain in the ass no other app i have used on my box has logged me out like DSTV now and Showmax.

Malcolmp

Guys please help me here....

Mi from the mia.africa.com for R1099 - is that a Mi S or Mi 4K or just plain Mi?

I want to get the latest one, which I think is the S.

MDE

Expert Member

Mi from the mia.africa.com for R1099 - is that a Mi S or Mi 4K or just plain Mi?

Thats the 3. They all do 4K. Only difference between the 3 and S hardware wise is the wifi chip and bluetooth. software the 3 runs Android 8 and the S runs Android 8.1

Sumen

Expert Member

That's the original version, Mia Africa had stock of the S but they don't have any at the moment, you can get the S from takealot.

Malcolmp

Brilliant feedback, thanks guys. I would imagine the new wifi is an improvement on the wifi which a few have complained about. Would love a Ethernet port, but hey - it seems so popular that support would be available whichever way you turned in SA.

Thanks guys.

naeem.ally

Try pressing the power button and the big central button qt the same time. This seems to help.

It is a big bug, and apparently the devs are working on resolving it. There is a thread somewhere in Reddit for people on a beta program or something.
Link please.

How accurate is the battery percentage for the remote? My remote was showing 98% but I can feel it’s struggling to be responsive when you more then 5m away.
Also how long do the batteries last for, I think I’m running Duracell’s for around 6 months now.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
A while ago someone here mentioned about the box not wanting to start from time to time and requires unplugging the power source first. I experienced it a while ago as well and again today. No matter how many times I press any button on the remote, it just does not want to start up.

Right now it's the only issue I have with an otherwise brilliant device.
Sometimes the remote has to pair with the box. Place remote on top of box remove and insert the power jack and see what happens.

Vernon

Expert Member
Speaking of remotes, I seemed to have somehow lost mine. Probably one of the kids...

In any case, I found that an old wireless PS1 style controller with USB receiver works just fine as a temporary solution. lol

Speedster

Honorary Master
Speaking of remotes, I seemed to have somehow lost mine. Probably one of the kids...

In any case, I found that an old wireless PS1 style controller with USB receiver works just fine as a temporary solution. lol

As does any Android phone / tablet

Greglsh

Hi All

I am having issues with Netflix on the Mi, it will be working fine, then you want to change user profile, select the new user, aboout 5 seconds later it bombs out and goes back to the mi home screen. Cleared cache, removed user data, nothing. Removed updates tried again still did it, rebooted (pulled power plug) works fine, updated to latest version, all working. About 15 minutes later it started again, rebooted and all working again?

FlashSA

Executive Member
I moved my inverter to the garage today so it can power my cctv, garage door motor, electric fence. I also then moved my LTE router as well. Because wifi coverage then suffered as a result of the router being behind the garage firewall, I changed my Mi Boxes to rather use normal 2.4ghz wifi because of it's better coverage. Immediately I noticed severe YouTube buffering.

Moved the router back into the house and changed the Mi Boxes back onto 5Ghz wifi and streaming was flawless. LTE speedtests were identical in the garage and the house when tested from my phone.

Bottom line, I think these boxes demand 5ghz wifi for perfect streaming

SamWill

I moved my inverter to the garage today so it can power my cctv, garage door motor, electric fence. I also then moved my LTE router as well. Because wifi coverage then suffered as a result of the router being behind the garage firewall, I changed my Mi Boxes to rather use normal 2.4ghz wifi because of it's better coverage. Immediately I noticed severe YouTube buffering.

Moved the router back into the house and changed the Mi Boxes back onto 5Ghz wifi and streaming was flawless. LTE speedtests were identical in the garage and the house when tested from my phone.

Bottom line, I think these boxes demand 5ghz wifi for perfect streaming
Will it not depend on the equipment? My router only does 2.4ghz and I have not had any buffering issues.