Xiaomi Mi Box / Mi Box S [Android TV OS]

cpu.

Expert Member
How do I set a custom launcher as default?

I open ATV Launcher Pro and when I select the Home button it's suppose to ask which home app to use. I don't see that popup, it simply go to the Android TV homescreen.

Android TV Home doesn't have default settings to clear in Settings/Apps and force stopping it don't present the choice of home app popup either.

cpu.

Expert Member
1. On my Telkom Lit Box I can plug in a USB keyboard and immediately use it. I was not successful in getting a keyboard to work in the Mi Box.

2. The torrent streaming service called put.io, that allow users to add torrents (+many other services too) and then stream it or download (on phone and pc), is different on the Mi Box.
On the Telkom Lit the app have tiles representing directories and files. Click on a mkv or mp4 etc tile and the media start playing immediately.
On the Mi Box the interface look like the PC version. There's 2 apps for this service and one is PC-like and one the tiles on the Lit, but both is PC versions on Mi Box. About 5 to six clicks to get a media file to start playing.

3. I thought this box is superior to the Telkom Lit, but even getting a custom launcher set took effort. The Mi Box is very finicky. When the launcher was eventually set the tiles didn't work. Touching the power button apparently put it to sleep and not shutdown. I had to unplug and turn it on to get to a working homescreen. On the Lit I can choose what the power button do.

greg_SA

Expert Member
Anyone know where I can buy another remote - only place I can find is GeeWiz, but on back order :(
Kids lost the remote! Using a USB keyboard temporarily...

enerdude

Expert Member
Anyone know where I can buy another remote - only place I can find is GeeWiz, but on back order :(
Someone mentioned takealot has one here, but seems they dont sell it anymore

Speedster

Executive Member
Mine disappeared when we had a break in about a year or so back. We've been using the TV remote (CEC) or Android TV app on a phone since. I'd love a replacement remote, bit haven't found one with voice search as yet

MKos

He guys enjoying the Mi Box, Express VPN is working nicely getting US Netflix still have to figure out Play Movies I can get the content menu but can't buy/rent yet.

I bought one for my brother and he has a iPhone what is the best app to use to use the Chromecast?

APoc184

Honorary Master
Hi guys.

Decided to grab one of these from the eBucks deals.

HP Microserver has served me well over time but it is not being used to full potential anymore. Haven't bothered with automated downloads of movies and series for long time. Haven't kept up with Kodi updates or new alternatives, and and and. And we also want something a bit more streamline for the living room.

80% of viewing will be for the kids. Youtube, DSTV Now and the odd movie if they can sit down for long enough. Might invest in Netflix later.

So I have 3 HDD full of content on the Microserver. Plenty of stuff the kids still watch and some series I still need to catch up on when I eventually make the time.
Is it possible to connect the microserver to the MiBox as a NAS and still access all that content? Can do Wifi or LAN(with adapter of course).
Or am I better off converting one of the HDD to an external, copying all the stuff I still want over to that, attach it to the MiBox and just make the Microserver obsolete?

Thanks.

APoc184

Honorary Master
Ah thanks guys. All makes sense and seems easy enough for me.

I really should have tried to keep up with the changes over time. But alas. Better late than never.

I'll probably set it all up on Monday or Tuesday and might be back for more advice.

For now I will scan through this thread for some tips and probably find the answers to the questions I just had :oops:

beans100

Honorary Master
Some advice, please. Brother in law decided he wanted to change his DSTV now password and now he keeps forgetting it "in his other pocket" or "he's wifes desk at work".
Don't really care, it's only my wife that watched Byl on there, no-one else uses it. But with the upcoming RWC, what will be a good alternative for watching? I have a Mi Box 3 and S.

Previous world cup I had an VPN (mainly for Netflix), so I could watch on itv sport. Any way to use itv without vpn?
Is Mobdro still working, maybe I can try that this evening? Anything else?

Dan C

Honorary Master
Hi guys.

Decided to grab one of these from the eBucks deals.

HP Microserver has served me well over time but it is not being used to full potential anymore. Haven't bothered with automated downloads of movies and series for long time. Haven't kept up with Kodi updates or new alternatives, and and and. And we also want something a bit more streamline for the living room.

80% of viewing will be for the kids. Youtube, DSTV Now and the odd movie if they can sit down for long enough. Might invest in Netflix later.

So I have 3 HDD full of content on the Microserver. Plenty of stuff the kids still watch and some series I still need to catch up on when I eventually make the time.
Is it possible to connect the microserver to the MiBox as a NAS and still access all that content? Can do Wifi or LAN(with adapter of course).
Or am I better off converting one of the HDD to an external, copying all the stuff I still want over to that, attach it to the MiBox and just make the Microserver obsolete?

Thanks.
Yes, why not. Busy playing some stuff off my Microserver via WIFI to the MI Box.

theratman

Executive Member
Some advice, please. Brother in law decided he wanted to change his DSTV now password and now he keeps forgetting it "in his other pocket" or "he's wifes desk at work".
Don't really care, it's only my wife that watched Byl on there, no-one else uses it. But with the upcoming RWC, what will be a good alternative for watching? I have a Mi Box 3 and S.

Previous world cup I had an VPN (mainly for Netflix), so I could watch on itv sport. Any way to use itv without vpn?
Is Mobdro still working, maybe I can try that this evening? Anything else?
Mobdro still works but is still a POS with buffering and stream failures. Also looking for an alternative that's simple that isn't DSTV now, which is what I think I'll have to resort to.