Xiaomi Mi Box / Mi Box S [Android TV OS]

Lupus

Honorary Master
My Xiaomi just returned from Takealot, stating they could not find fault. I even moved my tv to right next to my router, but the MI box STILL shows "out of range". HELP! I am about ready to throw this box into a million pieces against the nearest wall!
Insist they refund you.

spiff

Executive Member
Ok so after android 9 update the mibox no longer sees the ethernet cable when plugged in via an ethernet / USB adapter.
Which worked perfectly before update.

Tried a factory rest as mentioned by others. This didn't helped any.

Anyone else lose the ethernet function?

Nikkel

Ok so after android 9 update the mibox no longer sees the ethernet cable when plugged in via an ethernet / USB adapter.
Which worked perfectly before update.

Tried a factory rest as mentioned by others. This didn't helped any.

Anyone else lose the ethernet function?
Unplug main power for 10 seconds and try again

tcofran

Expert Member
Good morning MyBB,

Ever since about 3 days ago i cant scroll down in the YT app ??? Like for instance, i cant scroll down to settings on the left, it wont go down past the home button....

Any thoughts would be appreciated

BTW, got the latest update about 3 weeks ago, and no issues until a few days ago

WhatsApp Image 2020-02-18 at 19.07.12.jpeg

Last edited:

SkyeCharm

Insist they refund you.
I have tried that but one can not find an email address or contact number for a manager anywhere. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong, but surely right next to the router can not be closer "in range" as I can get? Is it perhaps possible that my router can somehow block the connection?

enerdude

Expert Member
I have tried that but one can not find an email address or contact number for a manager anywhere. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong, but surely right next to the router can not be closer "in range" as I can get? Is it perhaps possible that my router can somehow block the connection?
Should not be needed to phone them but in case you want the nr is 087 362 8000
As long as you have the box and all accessories you can submit a return and choose to be credited / refunded via your order page on the takealot site. Usually it is no questions asked returns within 30 days of purchase.

Phrozin

I've had quite a few freeze-ups since my 9.0 update although it seems to be behaving better now.

Sorry, this might have been discussed before but this thread is just toooooo long - anyone having major luck with 4K via the Mi box? I know it's 4K certified but the net is flooded with reports about it not really being able to cope - and I get serious buffering when I try anything 4K on Amazon Prime - although I am on a 100Mbps line. Watching the same content directly via the Prime app on my Samsung 4K TV works flawlessly.
I tested 4K files, a lot of them and only had problems with one file, the Jellyfish 4k file stuttering(@400mbps data rate, but so do most android boxes suffer as it's insane bitrate for benchmarking)..

Here are my previous posts with findings( I don't stream at 4K, so can't comment on that and suppose it's app or network related):

Pleasure, To note is that the mibox is only wifi connection by default, but most who want to go with ethernet lan connection uses a 3port hub with built in Lan port with no problems( Orico is the brand I use and got from takealot, is mentioned on firts post). I believe your AP will work as it's of knwon trusted brand as well, this box does 2.4ghz and 5ghz, but 5ghz is suggested by most-mine did connect well on a 2.4ghz tplink that was a room away( I do prefer hardwired and is how I now run). There was firmware issues regarding Wifi before Android 8.1, but when I got my box it was already updated to 8.1 with no issues experienced and outperformed my Minix U1 in media playback..no stuttering on all 4k files including 4k HDR, Dolby Vision etc at 30-60FPS(formats avi,mkv,ts,mp4 etc all tested). I pesonally love the Mibox S(google certified and there is only a few of those), but the Ematic is also good bang for buck and the cream is the Nvidia Shield(awesome hardware,but pricey)

Regarding your initial problem, it would be great if your Smart Tv let you access app and let it clear cache etc like on android, is there way to uninstall and reinstall to see if it fixes it to save some bucks before buying?(just to note I received my 55inch Lg 4k smart tv and still testing it and can say thus far,awesome visuals,but not smarter than my mibox regarding apps and usability). Hope it helps and you get sorted because last thing what you need with entertainment is hassle,it's your relaxing time and not getting aggravated time,that I leave for work,lol
Well I took the dive and updated yesterday to 9.0 and casting worked from the start for me, I tested all my 4k files and other formats as well,all worked still..and I started smiling because of all the problems others had I came off scot free( or so i thought)..wifi connected, onscreen keyboard worked and the I tested google assistant...
It popped up listening for voice,but no response..and then my mood sank..Ok so nobody could clearly identify the cause or pinpoint..the remote app on phone I tested with google assistant and that worked on box..so its not the assistant itself it seems..I unpaired,repaired successfully multiple times but still nothing through the mic..and at that moment I knew here comes a hard reset,well I did a hard reset and first thing is with remote testing,paired fine but still no response from voice :crying: :unsure:
I said oh well now I'm gonna try reflash back by getting 8.1 and do it manually..I left everything on started the kettle etc..and then I remebered something about on installing windows on pc in the olden days about removing usb peripherals ,I had still attached the old minix a1 lite dongle plugged in from before the update...so I removed it,drank coffee by and after hour I tested voice again on remote and lo and behold everything working

So I don't know if it was the same as with you just by leaving it for awhile(becuase reset didn't fix it) or by removing usb..but I can say that everything is working that I've tested so far;)

Phrozin

I've had quite a few freeze-ups since my 9.0 update although it seems to be behaving better now.

Sorry, this might have been discussed before but this thread is just toooooo long - anyone having major luck with 4K via the Mi box? I know it's 4K certified but the net is flooded with reports about it not really being able to cope - and I get serious buffering when I try anything 4K on Amazon Prime - although I am on a 100Mbps line. Watching the same content directly via the Prime app on my Samsung 4K TV works flawlessly.
Sorry for double post, couldn't get my last post in..hope it answers your question or helps;)

Hi there, I agree with @enerdude :thumbsup: I have a 8mb line and there is no way I could stream 4k(1080p,yes)( I download my content rather)..I done all my tests with three methods:
1.Through wired ethernet(usbhub with gigabit ethernet adapter on Mibox-Orico make on Takealot) from my WD Live Nas- all streamed beautifully as stated previously.
2. usb 3.0 stick in Mibox S with 4K content on and streamed at same result,all different files played as good as via Ethernet.
3. Just for fun I put in Lg smart Tv and it also played files very well with no difference from Mibox

I never did test 4k with Wifi and agree what @enerdude said if Wifi is unstable and reason I run wired ethernet

The player I used(forgot to mention that) was Kodi, newest version and there was slight jitter but that was a setting I didn't enable,I'll explain below:
I had to enable the "Adjust Refresh Rate" to "On start/stop", the mibox support this and then it will show with correct refresh rate and no stutters, there is however a flicker on start or black screen when refresh rate is adjusted, but then 24p and other refresh rates of clips play fine for me.
https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Player/Videos#Playback

4k test files at point4:
https://kodi.wiki/view/Samples#4K_.28UltraHD.29

Hope it helps

P.S. I did find file which the Mibox S played but stuttered severly and Lg smart tv couldn't play file by itself ,lol:ROFL: in defense of the mibox, it's a insane bitrate of 400mbps and I don't use such content and only for testing and informational value. Most youtubers use this file as a crazy benchmark, the infamous jellyfish clip:
http://jell.yfish.us/media/jellyfish-400-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit.mkv

Diesel44

My Xiaomi just returned from Takealot, stating they could not find fault. I even moved my tv to right next to my router, but the MI box STILL shows "out of range". HELP! I am about ready to throw this box into a million pieces against the nearest wall!
Maybe this will work, maybe not?

Try change the WiFi channel in your router. It is usually set to auto, which is either channel 5 of 6.

Try maybe then channel 1 or 10.

SkyeCharm

Should not be needed to phone them but in case you want the nr is 087 362 8000
As long as you have the box and all accessories you can submit a return and choose to be credited / refunded via your order page on the takealot site. Usually it is no questions asked returns within 30 days of purchase.
Thank you very much for the contact number. Yes, I think for my own peace of mind, it will be best to return it for credit. At least I can then buy a different brand as I have lost all fate in the Xiaomi now.

SkyeCharm

Try change the WiFi channel in your router. It is usually set to auto, which is either channel 5 of 6.

YIKES! You are talking to a girl who knows nothing about these things. I know how to connect all the cables etc but that is about how far my knowledge of wifi routers go. Do I need to log onto the router website or do I contact my service provider to change the channels?

David101

Had the same problem and the ever-helpful MYBB suggested just this and it sorted my wifi issue!:thumbsup::)

krugie

I tested 4K files, a lot of them and only had problems with one file, the Jellyfish 4k file stuttering(@400mbps data rate, but so do most android boxes suffer as it's insane bitrate for benchmarking)..

Here are my previous posts with findings( I don't stream at 4K, so can't comment on that and suppose it's app or network related):
Thank you for the reply. It does give some additional insight but it is specifically 4K streaming that I am having the issues with. Using the same app (Amazon Prime) connected to the same router - and everything within 2 meters of each other - and streaming the same 4K content via my Samsung 4K TV works perfectly - it is only if I try to stream it via the MiBox that I get buffering. If I run a speed test on the MiBox I get close to 100Mbps.

Even if I stream Youtube 4K content it buffers via the MiBox and the same content plays fine via the SmartTV.

This is not a showstopper for me since I can just use the TV apps instead of the MiBox apps when streaming 4K - I was more just pointing out an issue I am having. :)

COMPUTEK

Executive Member
For the Cape Town people ..... She still have 2 available.

COMPUTEK

Executive Member
YIKES! You are talking to a girl who knows nothing about these things. I know how to connect all the cables etc but that is about how far my knowledge of wifi routers go. Do I need to log onto the router website or do I contact my service provider to change the channels?
Yes. Where are you located ?

SkyeCharm

Had the same problem and the ever-helpful MYBB suggested just this and it sorted my wifi issue!:thumbsup::)
Well, that is at least a slight ray of sunshine. As soon as I figure out how to change the channels, I am definitely giving that a go. Thank you!