Xiaomi Mi Box / Mi Box S [Android TV OS]

johnjm

Expert Member
Hi guys, for the guys that use the box for HDR movies. i noticed that the movie does not change to the correct colour space until i go into the video settings after starting the movie, took me a while to figure this out. Maybe i am missing a setting or is this a new bug. don't think it used to have this issue. I have the original mibox 3.

After exiting video settings the screen goes black for a second and when it comes back the correct colour space is engaged.

Can someone please test this for me?

Process: start HDR movie, pullup in movie menu and go to video calibration, exit video calibration, this is when the screen goes black and correct colour space is engaged.
Make sure your TV is set up properly to recognise HDR. And check HDR settings on box.

I don't think Kodi supports HDR in Android though.

xbmcfan

Hi guys, for the guys that use the box for HDR movies. i noticed that the movie does not change to the correct colour space until i go into the video settings after starting the movie, took me a while to figure this out. Maybe i am missing a setting or is this a new bug. don't think it used to have this issue. I have the original mibox 3.

After exiting video settings the screen goes black for a second and when it comes back the correct colour space is engaged.

Can someone please test this for me?

Process: start HDR movie, pullup in movie menu and go to video calibration, exit video calibration, this is when the screen goes black and correct colour space is engaged.
As Prozin said you need to enable Setting:Settings/Player/Video/ "adjust display refresh rate" to "On start/stop"
But you must also enable in System/Display/Whitelist all the resolution settings.

Android 8 on the original Mi Box might have problems with color space switching since it's mostly an Android 9 thing and I know it can't switch properly to 4K resolutions, there are some bugs with frame-rate switching on Android 8.
If you want MaxCLL or MaxFALL you will have to wait for Android 10.
You can only hope Xiaomi updates it in future and not discontinue the original Mi Box as they seem to release new devices like the Mi Dongle now.

You can try to see if this works.
Install the addon in Kodi and also install one of the skins they mention to see all the color range settings while a video is playing. It is for CoreELEC but should perhaps also work in Android.

It's a pity the Mi Boxes have locked bootloaders(because of the Google Certification requirements) otherwise you could have installed CoreELEC and all your HDR videos would have played perfect.
If you play a lot of HDR movies in Kodi, I would suggest you buy a cheap S905x3 or S922x CoreELEC supported device then it would solve all your problems as these new chipsets work so much better than the S905x ones.

Deanoblado

Thanks @xbmcfan the only setting I don't have is the whitelist resolutions. I will give it a try.

I play alot of HDR content and i am not sure when this issue started but has not always been there.
I have my device since 2016/2017 I think, and served me well. But i have been looking at changing it.

keithreddy25

I need some help with the following please:

1. TeaTV App does not close even after clicking "yes" to close the app, it just starts up again and I have to use the home button to clear it. I've tried to kill apps in developer mode but it still continues.

2. DSTV Now, this app sucks. It constantly buffers and throws an error stating to retry or close. I've tried to use a lower rate as opposed to full 1080P an it still does that.

I have a 20Mbps Fibre line and connecting with WiFi

COMPUTEK

Executive Member
I need some help with the following please:

1. TeaTV App does not close even after clicking "yes" to close the app, it just starts up again and I have to use the home button to clear it. I've tried to kill apps in developer mode but it still continues. Is USB debugging off? I get this with Puffin Browser when this setting is on.

2. DSTV Now, this app sucks. It constantly buffers and throws an error stating to retry or close. I've tried to use a lower rate as opposed to full 1080P an it still does that. No it doesn't ... works perfectly fine on my 10Mbps line over wifi. Did you try a line from LAN port yet, to rule out if its only maybe a bad wifi signal?

I have a 20Mbps Fibre line and connecting with WiFi

keithreddy25

Yes, I have tried debugging off but it still happens. Oddly, I've never had that problem with Puffin.

Nope, Haven't tried the Lan port yet, couldn't find the Lan to USB cable before lockdown. I really doubt it's a bad WiFi signal as every other app works the way it should. The app is better on my Skyworth Android TV box though, hence leading me to think it's something to do with the MiBox

greg_SA

Expert Member
Just curious what video players you use on your Mi Box.
I have quite a few installed:
- MX Player (free version)
- VLC
- Kodi
The only one that consistently gets the 5.1 audio played properly is Kodi. But it is not great as a stand-alone player. It is too heavy weight, and takes some time to start-up. I wish I could just use the video player of Kodi, and it would automatically close when the video is done.
I like to play TV Shows/Movies directly from Cyberflix. MX player works with 5.1 sometimes, but it depends on the HW Decoder you choose (HW vs HW+, etc).
Anyone have a good solution?

airborne

Honorary Master
MX Player Pro and in settings set the default video to be HW+ or HW depending on which you find works best

genetic

Honorary Master
- VLC
- Kodi
The only one that consistently gets the 5.1 audio played properly is Kodi. But it is not great as a stand-alone player. It is too heavy weight, and takes some time to start-up. I wish I could just use the video player of Kodi, and it would automatically close when the video is done.
I like to play TV Shows/Movies directly from Cyberflix. MX player works with 5.1 sometimes, but it depends on the HW Decoder you choose (HW vs HW+, etc).
The Mi Box S does not support hardware decoding of 10 bit h.264 / HEVC files, so unless your video files are run-of-the-mill 8 bit MP4's, no software will make 10 bit playback smooth.

If VLC, MX or Kodi can't play it properly, nothing will.

xbmcfan

- VLC
- Kodi
Try to use something like Nova Video Player or Night Video Player as external players and enable frame-rate switching in their settings.
There are also much better alternatives like Shad*w or TVZi*n that you can use with RD I heard.

If you take video playback seriously, get a cheap S905X3 device that supports dual-booting CoreELEC.
CoreELEC for amazing video playback for both 1080p & 4K content with a tenth of the RAM usage and ½ of the CPU usage of Android.

Dan C

Honorary Master

1590839524471.png

genetic

Honorary Master
If vlc, nova etc cannot play it properly, your source file is rubbish
It's NOT the file format. The MiBox is a basic player - it has minimal hardware decoding support.

You get what you pay for. There's a reason it's cheap.

kolaval

Expert Member
It's NOT the file format. The MiBox is a basic player - it has minimal hardware decoding support.
You get what you pay for. There's a reason it's cheap.
Incorrect, it's only cheap Vs the shield.

Just recode your videos with handbrake or get better quality sources.
I've had VLC struggle on pc with crap encodings.

genetic

Honorary Master
Incorrect, it's only cheap Vs the shield.

Just recode your videos with handbrake or get better quality sources.
I've had VLC struggle on pc with crap encodings.
It's a cheap basic Android media player. R1,200 is cheap. It's performance issues are well documented.

If you are looking for a more powerful, capable and feature-rich device then this is not the one for you. But that's sort of its charm as the Mi Box S is more of an entry-level solution which can instantly turn a TV into a smart TV by adding support for a wealth of streaming apps and services

If you’re looking for Android TV on a budget, it’s an option to consider.

The Mi Box S is a letdown, with low frame rates for live TV streaming, a feature-limited remote control, some vexing technical issues, and fewer apps than other streamers. Android TV diehards are still better off splurging on the Nvidia Shield TV, while most users in need of cheap 4K HDR streaming should go with either a Roku Premiere+ or Amazon’s Fire TV Stick 4K.

There's no compelling reason to get a Xiaomi Mi Box S, due to troublesome issues with its picture quality, sound levels and interface.

Where the Mi Box S really falls down is in performance. Picture quality, even when you set it properly, is not very good. Navigation has just enough of a lag to be noticeable. The device is almost silent, even when you pump up the volume all the way.

Last edited:

Speedster

Honorary Master
It's a cheap basic Android media player. R1,200 is cheap. It's performance issues are well documented.

Pity you feel that way. Mine hasn't given me a moment's hassle since I got it upon first launch