Xiaomi Mi Box / Mi Box S [Android TV OS]

joshuatree

Expert Member

Coming to the hardware side of things, the Mi TV Stick is powered by a chipset that has four Cortex A53 cores, and you also get 1GB of RAM and 8GB of storage for installing apps from the Play Store and storing local content. The dongle has Wi-Fi ac and Bluetooth 4.2 connectivity, and I didn't face any issues with Wi-Fi during my usage.

Xiaomi also bundles the same remote as the 4K-enabled Mi Box S, and it is one of the best remotes you'll find on a streaming box that costs less than $50. The remote has a button for invoking Google Assistant, a D-pad for navigation, back, home, and menu buttons, volume controls, and dedicated buttons for Netflix and Prime Video.

I've used the first-gen Mi Box and the Mi Box S for several years, so I know what Xiaomi has to offer in this category. In day-to-day use, the Mi TV Stick is just as fluid as the Mi Box S, and that's because the hardware is nearly identical here. The Mi Box S has 2GB of RAM, but it uses the same chipset.

While there was some lag initially on the Mi TV Stick, there was an out-of-the-box update that fixed the issue. I watched a lot of videos on YouTube and streamed the second season of The Umbrella Academy on Netflix, and I did not face any issues with content playback. I consistently got 1080p video and did not see any lag within Netflix's interface at all.

Using the Mi TV Stick reminded me of Xiaomi's budget Mi TVs. Xiaomi uses a similar chipset and 1GB of memory there as well, so the brand clearly knows how to optimize the hardware to deliver a lag-free usage experience.

* The Mi TV Stick doesn't have any drawbacks. By limiting the Mi TV Stick to 1080p, Xiaomi eliminated the one issue that plagued the Mi Box S. The hardware on offer doesn't really handle 4K, so it was a smart move by Xiaomi to focus on 1080p streaming here.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master

Coming to the hardware side of things, the Mi TV Stick is powered by a chipset that has four Cortex A53 cores, and you also get 1GB of RAM and 8GB of storage for installing apps from the Play Store and storing local content. The dongle has Wi-Fi ac and Bluetooth 4.2 connectivity, and I didn't face any issues with Wi-Fi during my usage.

Xiaomi also bundles the same remote as the 4K-enabled Mi Box S, and it is one of the best remotes you'll find on a streaming box that costs less than $50. The remote has a button for invoking Google Assistant, a D-pad for navigation, back, home, and menu buttons, volume controls, and dedicated buttons for Netflix and Prime Video.

I've used the first-gen Mi Box and the Mi Box S for several years, so I know what Xiaomi has to offer in this category. In day-to-day use, the Mi TV Stick is just as fluid as the Mi Box S, and that's because the hardware is nearly identical here. The Mi Box S has 2GB of RAM, but it uses the same chipset.

While there was some lag initially on the Mi TV Stick, there was an out-of-the-box update that fixed the issue. I watched a lot of videos on YouTube and streamed the second season of The Umbrella Academy on Netflix, and I did not face any issues with content playback. I consistently got 1080p video and did not see any lag within Netflix's interface at all.

Using the Mi TV Stick reminded me of Xiaomi's budget Mi TVs. Xiaomi uses a similar chipset and 1GB of memory there as well, so the brand clearly knows how to optimize the hardware to deliver a lag-free usage experience.

* The Mi TV Stick doesn't have any drawbacks. By limiting the Mi TV Stick to 1080p, Xiaomi eliminated the one issue that plagued the Mi Box S. The hardware on offer doesn't really handle 4K, so it was a smart move by Xiaomi to focus on 1080p streaming here.
Looks promising.

And presumably the wifi issues that plagued the Mi Box 3 for so long are a thing of the past?

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Never had issues with both the 3 and S. I still use both and they're still running good. I still think most of the issues is wrongly blamed on these devices.

My Wife uses the Mi-Box 3 via wifi, and punishes my internet 6 hours a day and more over weekends, via Wi-Fi and nary a murmur.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
My wifi is fine but often Netflix struggles to load a video first time, and YouTube regularly slows down and hangs the device.

Shazpm

Never had issues with both the 3 and S. I still use both and they're still running good. I still think most of the issues is wrongly blamed on these devices.
Yes, I've never had issues with my 3 and S either. I've had numerous issues on the Dstv Now app which I also think the boxes have unfairly been blamed for.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
I think if you had one of the first 3 devices, running the original firmware, you'd know what I meant. It was very buggy. Check the early hundred or so pages of this thread.

beans100

Honorary Master
I think if you had one of the first 3 devices, running the original firmware, you'd know what I meant. It was very buggy. Check the early hundred or so pages of this thread.
I got mine just after they launched. I think I do have the 1st ones.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
I got mine just after they launched. I think I do have the 1st ones.
Hectic. You are one of the lucky ones. Most of this thread was dedicated to solving wifi issues for quite some time. The solution was a usb-to-lan adapter...

naeem.ally

Hectic. You are one of the lucky ones. Most of this thread was dedicated to solving wifi issues for quite some time. The solution was a usb-to-lan adapter...

I also imported my mibox 3 after the launch and never had WiFi issues. (My router was next to my mibox)

Main issue was the remote losing Bluetooth connection. A restart sorts it out, nowadays once it’s starts acting up, I just unpair and pair again.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
I also imported my mibox 3 after the launch and never had WiFi issues. (My router was next to my mibox)

Main issue was the remote losing Bluetooth connection. A restart sorts it out, nowadays once it’s starts acting up, I just unpair and pair again.

Not had that problem either, - , touches wood ...

ahmedomar

Are you guys setting your mibox to 4k or 1080p resolution when watching on your 4k TV?

What gives the best results for DSTV now and YouTube?